Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modifying a Mesh pad with a Wavedrum type pressure sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying a Mesh pad with a Wavedrum type pressure sensor

Wondering if anyone has tried or how possible it would be to install some sort of sensor (IR?) underneath the mesh head so that when you push down on it with a finger, hand, butt of drumstick, it would send a CC message to change a parameter (pitch, cutoff, etc).

I have a Korg Wavedrum and one of my favorite features is the head pressure sensor. I've just never opened it up to see how it works.

This should be posted in the Technical or Suggestion area, the Lounge is merely for fun. There are tons of people on the Forums that don't go to the Lounge, they hang out in the technical areas actually looking to help or get help.
    Good luck!

K ;-)
    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Comment

Closest FSR tech for this would be the Aquarian InHeads however they are traditional mylar heads instead of mesh with the FSR printed between 2 layers. Also I'm pretty sure that the features you want will be software specific to the module more so than the head itself.
      8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
      http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

I'll check out the inheads, but I feel like I'm looking for something different. I just bought 3 Roland PD-120s, still waiting for them to come in the mail. So, these already have a trigger in them. I'm just looking to modify/mount something inside the shell underneath the head that would send a separate midi CC. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to get an arduino board to accept this information and convert it to midi.

Comment

Sharp has some reflective distance sensor with bandwidth in the several khz range. Biggest drawback I can see is power. They take. 25-100 maA, so you'll need to power the trasmit side.
          Yamaha DTX-502, KP65 kick, TP100 snare, RHH130 hats, TP65 toms, PCY130S crash. PCY150S ride

Comment

Working...
          X