Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 zone ride completed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 zone ride completed...

Well, until I can get some extra cash for JMan's ride 3 zone, It's winter, snowy, and have to much curiousity in learning this stuff. I managed to put together a 3 zone ride - Bow. Edge and Bell.

I did research on this forum or megadrum, and conclusion probably have to build a mylar film switch. A little more challenging. So, I had a brain fart last night and come up with this solution. I went to home depot and got a 3 inch Flexible Rubber Pipe Cap ($3). Cut the height down, attached a piezo underneath. I drilled a hole in the center so I can mount it on the tilt arm. With the cymbal installed on the tilt arm, The Cap is mounted next, with a cymbal felt between the cymbal and the cap. So it's isolated from the cymbal.

I'm using a TD10, so attach one TRS jack to the ride for the bow/edge, and the other TRS jack to aux1 for the bell. Assigned aux1 to pd7.

That's it, My bow, edge and bell works. holy Crap!!

I'll download pics later....
    Yamaha Absolute Birch;Yamaha Oak Custom
    Paiste Cymbals; Zildjian Hybrid Cymbals
    DIY vdrums

Any pictures?

Comment

Yes pics. I tried last nite. Pics need to be resized. As they say "this thread is useless without pics" lol.

Excuse the 3rd pic. Was just prototyping so little messy with jumpers. I ordering smaller project boxes for this and my 2 crashes. I've been using Radio shack's smallest box, since they are local.

Also, will be shaping the Cap edges to be more rounded.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ronyd; 02-15-15, 10:29 AM.
      DIY vdrums

Comment

Nice idea. How did you do the edge switch?

Comment

pretty cool, love to see a video of it in action.

Comment

Originally posted by benqbasic View Post
            Nice idea. How did you do the edge switch?

I stool the idea from Jman. I have his hihat trigger. After reviewing other solutions, I like his small profile. Most of the other solutions cover a larger area of the edge, so you can grab it at least 12" along the edge. I cut a piece of tin flashing, Bent the edge to look like a switch, and mounted inside a piece of pvc. I put some heat to the pvc to get a flatter bottom. fastened with some foam tape.

Keep in mind I'm not a professional drummer. Just a great passion and hobby fo play the drums. So, my mission is to get an EKit as another means to play on when I need to be quieter in the house, and have the ergonomics of an acoustic kit. I'll never replicate the acoustic kit, but pretty close.

So this isn;t an elegant solution, but it's a cheap way out right now and it works.
            DIY vdrums

Comment

Thanks for the photos. Im looking at converting a old ride cymbal on the cheap so your post has been really helpful.
              Does the tin flashing make contact with the cymbal to make a close switch?

Comment

Originally posted by benqbasic View Post
                Thanks for the photos. Im looking at converting a old ride cymbal on the cheap so your post has been really helpful.
                Does the tin flashing make contact with the cymbal to make a close switch?

Heres the deal real simple. yes, press the tin on the cymbal to make contact.

connect using this link pic:

good luck..
                DIY vdrums

Comment

Looks great, nice ingenuity. And not to hijack your build, but I have a JMAN 3-zone ride to sell if you want it - I no longer use it. LMK via PM if you are interested.
                  Live Rig: Under Construction!
                  Studio Rig: Pearl Mimic Pro | Pearl ePro A2E kit | ATV-Roland-Yamaha cymbals | Customized MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

Working...
                  X