Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snare drum - rim sensitivity issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snare drum - rim sensitivity issue?

My setup is using a Roland TD10 module.

The only nagging issue I have currently is with my snare drum (pacific mx) . When I started this DIY, I purchased a PinTech dual-zone crossbar. The head piezo is centered and rim piezo (25mm) mounted on the inside of shell. The cross-stick seems very erratic. Never know when the cross-stick is going to be detected.. Rim shots seem to be better and stronger.

I thought by moving the piezo off the shell and mount to the crossbar would help, but same issue. BTW, what I did was isolate the head piezo using a rubber grommet.

I really don't want to buy any more triggers if I don't have to. I built all of my crossbar, cones and triggers very cheaply and all work great.

Would I need a larger rim piezo?

Any thoughts on this is appreciated.
    Last edited by ronyd; 01-23-15, 09:45 AM.
    Yamaha Absolute Birch;Yamaha Oak Custom
    Paiste Cymbals; Zildjian Hybrid Cymbals
    DIY vdrums

Have you tried adjusting the rim gain and raising the cross stick threshold? I can't find a Roland TD-10 manual to confirm but these settings exist in my TD-12.
    Roland TD12 module / DIY Kit in progress, Gretsch Blackhawk A (soon to be E) kit.

Comment

It might help if you mount the rim piezo in the 3 o'clock position to split the difference between rim shot and cross stick strike locations.
      Roland TD12 module / DIY Kit in progress, Gretsch Blackhawk A (soon to be E) kit.

Comment

bwilburn79 I'll check manual again.. Didn't pop out at me, and navigating the rim settings didn;t see anything.

ASlso, I thought I read something on the forum about placing the rim piezo on the crossbar pretty much centered. This yields equal striking sensitivity. But, I will try moving piezo back on the shell 3 oclock.
        DIY vdrums

Comment

Originally posted by ronyd View Post
          My setup is using a Roland TD10 module...BTW, what I did was isolate the head piezo using a rubber grommet.
          Roland modules need a fair amount of crosstalk between the head and rim piezo. It's possible the grommet is not letting light taps on the rim get to the head piezo.

TD-25KV, Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

Originally posted by billgtx View Post

Roland modules need a fair amount of crosstalk between the head and rim piezo. It's possible the grommet is not letting light taps on the rim get to the head piezo.
            Well I moved the piezo back on the shell at 3 o'clock. Better but not great. Still missing hits. Gain is all the way up. baffled....
            DIY vdrums

Comment

If it is an Expanded TD-10 with TDW-1 there is a Crosstick setting that allows you to set the velocity at which the sound of the snare rim changes over from Crosstick to Rimshot. And also a Volume setting for the Crosstick:

Cross Stick Volume
              For each Drum kit, you can adjust the volume of cross stick
              sound independently.
              Procedure
              Press [KIT] - [F2 (FUNC)] - [F3 (STICKS)].
              Parameters
              X Stick Volume (Cross Stick Volume): 0127
              fig.CrossStickSettingScreen_80
              Cross Stick Threshold
              This determines the cross over point between the cross
              stick and a rim shot sounds. Cross Stick Threshold setting
              can be memorized in each Trigger Bank.
              Procedure
              Press [SETUP] - [F1 (TRIG)] - [F4 (OPTION)].
              Parameters
              Xstick Thrshld (Cross Stick Threshold): 0127
              I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
              Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

JMan, unfortunately TD10 is not expanded.

Unrelated to cross stick issue, I'd appreciate an inputs to the settings I have for the snare to dial it in better.

sensitivity: 7
                threshold: 2
                curve:linear
                Scan time: 1.8
                Retrig Cancel: 3
                Mask time:12
                corsstalkff
                Last edited by ronyd; 01-25-15, 09:32 AM.
                DIY vdrums

Comment

It is not necessarily possible to suggest a list of settings on a DIY edrum. Even though it is a Pintech crossbar the head used, specific drum, many factors alter the setup slightly. I would definitely suggest contacting Pintech though to see if they can give you a little help/advice on the parameter setup. Also you might want to replace the rim piezo. It is really easy to damage the piezos when moving them around and you don't always see the damage. Ceramics are very delicate and easily damaged.
                  This is an old setup video by Brian on Pintech parameters for the TD-10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hnqNHue0xI
                  One of the improvements that was made to the Expanded TD-10 with TDW is to the Crosstick function. It could be turned on or off and the Crosstick Threshold, cross-over setting was added so you could fine tune at what point/velocity the crosstick sound would become a rimshot, Crosstick Volume setting was also added. But even when working ideally people have always found that a bit finicky and that continued on with the TD-20. So many people would setup a separate pad for crosstick. One thread from years ago talking about that: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced...s-firing-snare
                  I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                  Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Thanks JMan. BTW, your hat trigger works great with Gen16.
                    DIY vdrums

Comment

Working...
                    X