Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

transparent rim guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transparent rim guard

Hey Guys,

After I spent a long time polishing the rims and lugs on my converted snare I didn't like the idea of hiding the rim under a black rubber rim guard. Therefore I went looking for a clear alternative. I found a very flexible clear tube with a diameter of 6 mm and a thickness of about 1 mm at a fish-tank supply shop. I sliced it up lengthwise, and put it over the rim. Although the sharpness of a rim hit was reduced, it was still very loud. Going back to the same shop I got a tube with a diameter of 8mm. This tube is less flexible then the first one. I sliced it up as well, and put it over the first tube. The result is a perfect triggering rim, and the sound reduction is comparable to the 682 black rubber rim guard.

DSC_0577.JPG

The first tube

DSC_0578.JPG

Adding the 2nd
    DSC_0580.JPG

Small pieces of both tubes
    DSC_0579.JPG

The end result
    Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Cool. I did try with clear aquarium tubing some time ago, but the tube would never stay in place and fall off.
    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

I'm looking at this also, if only Drumtec made transparent versions of the rim silencers they already make.
      ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
      ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
      PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
        Cool. I did try with clear aquarium tubing some time ago, but the tube would never stay in place and fall off.

I had the same issue with the thin tube. It seems to be too flexible. The bigger tube is stiffer, although it "wants" to peel off a the both ends. I used a small piece of KRT to solve that issue.
        Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Cool. Looks great! Jman showed me the clear tubing years ago and I've used it ever since. Never had to use 2 layers and never had any problems with it not wanting to stay in place though. I use KRT also on the ends to secure them.
          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Yup, clear replaced my previous black fuel line I was using for rim guards back in 2006: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced...-but-not-heard
            I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
            Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Nice idea, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Yes agreed it does look good - its the slicing down the tube in a nice straight line which is a total pain! Never managed to get that quite right
                Electronic - Mapex DIY conversion black sparkle10,12,12,14,14 toms.16 bass. TD12, VH-12, CY 12,14,14,15. Jobeky snare. 682 heads, zed head and one Remo silentstroke. Roland PM3.
                Acoustic - Yamaha Maple Custom black sparkle. 10,12,13,14,16,22 Zildjian Avedis Crashes, ride. Quick beat and new beat hats. Yamaha Maple snare, Pearl Sensitone brass snare, Yamaha Bamboo snare, Tee Drums Oak snare.

Comment

Originally posted by cure1973 View Post
                  Yes agreed it does look good - its the slicing down the tube in a nice straight line which is a total pain! Never managed to get that quite right

I clamped one end of the tube to my workbench, and pulled the tube tight with one hand. Then I used a surgical knife to cut the tube from the inside out, by pushing the tip in, with the sharp side up. Then simply push the knife forward.

cutting the tube.JPG

The result is a relatively straight cut.
                  Attached Files

Comment

If I remember well, Daniel made a jig to cut the tube in a straight line. It was U shaped with a knife in the middle, he just had to pull the tube to have a straight cut.
                    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by Viperr View Post

I clamped one end of the tube to my workbench, and pulled the tube tight with one hand. Then I used a surgical knife to cut the tube from the inside out, by pushing the tip in, with the sharp side up. Then simply push the knife forward.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1074444[/ATTACH]

The result is a relatively straight cut.
                      wow thanks for sharing! I see you are doing the right thing by cutting 'away' from yourself?!!
                      I think I will go down this next route on my next build. I currently have the 682 rims, very good purpose made but a bit 'rubbery' and bulky not to mention expensive!
                      I also have a Jobeky snare with a very small rim protector which I'm guessing is basically tube cut down, but....the ends are heat welded together and its a perfect fit!
                      Might be a bit hard to do with plastic but would look the business!
                      Electronic - Mapex DIY conversion black sparkle10,12,12,14,14 toms.16 bass. TD12, VH-12, CY 12,14,14,15. Jobeky snare. 682 heads, zed head and one Remo silentstroke. Roland PM3.
                      Acoustic - Yamaha Maple Custom black sparkle. 10,12,13,14,16,22 Zildjian Avedis Crashes, ride. Quick beat and new beat hats. Yamaha Maple snare, Pearl Sensitone brass snare, Yamaha Bamboo snare, Tee Drums Oak snare.

Comment

If I remember well, Daniel made a jig to cut the tube in a straight line. It was U shaped with a knife in the middle, he just had to pull the tube to have a straight cut.
                        Yes I guess its fairly easy, you could simple cut longer straighten out the tube and screw each end down to a bench or something similar, then cut? A jig would certainly help as its pretty easy to go wrong cutting plastics.....

Comment

Originally posted by Viperr View Post
                          Hey Guys,

After I spent a long time polishing the rims and lugs on my converted snare I didn't like the idea of hiding the rim under a black rubber rim guard. Therefore I went looking for a clear alternative. I found a very flexible clear tube with a diameter of 6 mm and a thickness of about 1 mm at a fish-tank supply shop. I sliced it up lengthwise, and put it over the rim. Although the sharpness of a rim hit was reduced, it was still very loud. Going back to the same shop I got a tube with a diameter of 8mm. This tube is less flexible then the first one. I sliced it up as well, and put it over the first tube. The result is a perfect triggering rim, and the sound reduction is comparable to the 682 black rubber rim guard.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1073693[/ATTACH]

The first tube

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1073695[/ATTACH]

Adding the 2nd
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1073696[/ATTACH]

Small pieces of both tubes
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1073694[/ATTACH]

The end result
                          do you have any pics of the full kit?

Comment

Very nice solution. Nice work.

Comment

Nope wasn't me. But this jig has been around for ages. I just let the tube lay on the table and cut the top of it (outside-in) with a razor or X-acto knife on it's natural curve. Very simple.
                              8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                              http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Working...
                              X