Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16" floor tom better response?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16" floor tom better response?

I use a crossbar design for snare, 10,12,14,16 toms and kick. Piezos are mounted pretty much centered, and kick is off centered .

Get very results on all except the 16. I noticed outside 4" diameter from center I lose sensitivity. Using 35 mm piezo.

Because of the size of tom do I need to add another piezo?
    Yamaha Absolute Birch;Yamaha Oak Custom
    Paiste Cymbals; Zildjian Hybrid Cymbals
    DIY vdrums

FWIW - I use a side mounted Intrigg on my 16" floor tom and haven't noticed a problem. I also use Pintech Reaction single ply heads.
    TD-25KV, Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

Is the head equally tensioned? What kind of foam set up do you have? Perhaps you just need to adjust the foam or cone higher?
      Could be trigger or jack?
      Electronic - Mapex DIY conversion black sparkle10,12,12,14,14 toms.16 bass. TD12, VH-12, CY 12,14,14,15. Jobeky snare. 682 heads, zed head and one Remo silentstroke. Roland PM3.
      Acoustic - Yamaha Maple Custom black sparkle. 10,12,13,14,16,22 Zildjian Avedis Crashes, ride. Quick beat and new beat hats. Yamaha Maple snare, Pearl Sensitone brass snare, Yamaha Bamboo snare, Tee Drums Oak snare.

Comment

If you have a positional sensing module, stick with a center trigger and play with head tension, height and density of foam cone.

If not, simplify your life and go with a side mounted trigger. Much easier to deal with.
        DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
        Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Ok guys I'll try the height adjustment and tension.

​Worse case I can move the trigger to the edge and try that.
          DIY vdrums

Comment

I had trouble as well. I have a side mounted trigger. Can't remember offhand but one HART head was terrible, and the other worked perfectly. Between Maxxum and Magnum. Point is, the HEAD can be the issue here in my experience, with some heads being able to transfer vibrations farther in a greater radius.

Yamaha DTX-502 / (3) PCY155 Cymbals / HH65 HH Pedal
            Roland KD-9 Kick / DIY Snare (1 zone with DTX...)

Comment

Originally posted by ohlarikd View Post
              I had trouble as well. I have a side mounted trigger. Can't remember offhand but one HART head was terrible, and the other worked perfectly. Between Maxxum and Magnum. Point is, the HEAD can be the issue here in my experience, with some heads being able to transfer vibrations farther in a greater radius.

Yes I noticed that also. I have Harts on the rack toms no issue. Didn;t work well with 16". I have something other, like a pearl which work better. I tried using a Remo SilentStroke which is not too bad. On my snare Hart was not that good. I use Silent Stroke one on my snare which triggers fine.

Also made a 15" from screen mesh, which works rather well no issues. I may make one for the 16".. we'll see..

DIY vdrums

Comment

Just to eliminate the possibility that the issue could be in the module, have you tried the 16" tom in another place on the kit to see if you get the same results? Not likely the problem but.......
                Roland TD12 module / DIY Kit in progress, Gretsch Blackhawk A (soon to be E) kit.

Comment

Originally posted by bwilburn79 View Post
                  Just to eliminate the possibility that the issue could be in the module, have you tried the 16" tom in another place on the kit to see if you get the same results? Not likely the problem but.......
                  Yes no problems...

Be honest not really a big deal since typically we all strike the head within the small area.
                  DIY vdrums

Comment

I Have side mounted DIY triggers and a DIY mesh head on my 16'' tom. They work real well.
                    I have the head turned up pretty tight though, and the cone is fitted snugly against the head.
                    If your head is to flabby, it will not transfer the vibrations all the way to the sensor.
                    Sensitivity of the sensor can also be an issue here. Sensitivity of a piezo is all about the amount of "bend" that you can induce on the disk. You therefore don't need a cone shaped foam. a simple cylinder or block shape might even do better, as id deforms the piezo in another way. (Rolands cheaper mesh pads use side-mounted triggers with cylinder shape cones)
                    Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Originally posted by Viperr View Post
                      I Have side mounted DIY triggers and a DIY mesh head on my 16'' tom. They work real well.
                      I have the head turned up pretty tight though, and the cone is fitted snugly against the head.
                      If your head is to flabby, it will not transfer the vibrations all the way to the sensor.
                      Sensitivity of the sensor can also be an issue here. Sensitivity of a piezo is all about the amount of "bend" that you can induce on the disk. You therefore don't need a cone shaped foam. a simple cylinder or block shape might even do better, as id deforms the piezo in another way. (Rolands cheaper mesh pads use side-mounted triggers with cylinder shape cones)

thankx Viperr. good info. I'll make a square cone from the same material I use == sanding block foam. I still need to check to make sure the cone height to the head.
                      DIY vdrums

Comment

Merry Xmas everyone!!

sorry didn;t get back on this. Bottom line, was the adjustment of cone height. Works as expected now.

I'm using the Remo SilentStroke on the snare and on my 16" floor tom. These heads are can be purchased from your local guitar center in your area. I like them

DIY vdrums

Comment

Originally posted by ronyd View Post
                          Merry Xmas everyone!!

sorry didn;t get back on this. Bottom line, was the adjustment of cone height. Works as expected now.

I'm using the Remo SilentStroke on the snare and on my 16" floor tom. These heads are can be purchased from your local guitar center in your area. I like them

I'm having a similar problem occasionally, did you have to adjust it up or down?

Comment

Originally posted by froidy1981 View Post

I'm having a similar problem occasionally, did you have to adjust it up or down?
                            Adjust up and problem solved.
                            DIY vdrums

Comment

Working...
                            X