Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bass Drum / Amp / 18" speaker in one project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Drum / Amp / 18" speaker in one project

My original V Drum kit came with the hard rubber knob trigger on a foot pedal base. Just looking at it made me sad and never even tried using it. Instead, I used my 22" acoustic BD and made a drum trigger, amp, and 18" speaker, with the drum. I used a DDrum trigger with a mesh beater head, installed a plywood divider 3" from the head to form a separate speaker cabinet, and installed a second plywood piece into the front to mount the speaker. I then installed a sub-woofer amp onto the shell near the bottom of the drum and installed an XLR input jack. I stuffer the 3" beater head compartment with styrofoam peanuts and the speaker cabinet section with polyester batting. It sounds great and looks cool! Most importantly, it feels like my old bass drum. It is a heavy sucker though, but there's no need to carry around a separate low frequency cabinet to play out. Just smaller cabinets. I included some pix.
    ​Regards, Cole Johnson
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

18"... sweet!

Must be fun!
    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by coletiff View Post
      My original V Drum kit came with the hard rubber knob trigger on a foot pedal base. Just looking at it made me sad and never even tried using it. Instead, I used my 22" acoustic BD and made a drum trigger, amp, and 18" speaker, with the drum. I used a DDrum trigger with a mesh beater head, installed a plywood divider 3" from the head to form a separate speaker cabinet, and installed a second plywood piece into the front to mount the speaker. I then installed a sub-woofer amp onto the shell near the bottom of the drum and installed an XLR input jack. I stuffer the 3" beater head compartment with styrofoam peanuts and the speaker cabinet section with polyester batting. It sounds great and looks cool! Most importantly, it feels like my old bass drum. It is a heavy sucker though, but there's no need to carry around a separate low frequency cabinet to play out. Just smaller cabinets. I included some pix.

Excellent idea and nice execution.
      Roland TD30 module, DW performance series set with UFO triggers. ATV ride and Hats; translucent blue Pintech Visulite cymbals, Gibraltar Rack, DW9000 pedal, DW9120M, Sony MDR-7506 headphones, Yamaha DSR112 monitors.

Comment

Hi, great job!...this is mine : http://youtu.be/rEdNKYXh0bQ
        or here : http://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced...-of-my-project

Comment

Very nice. Good job!

Comment

Surely that's not a 22" drum AND an 18" speaker? If that's a 22" bass drum then it's a 15" speaker.

Either way, nice job - and I love the paint job on the Acupads!

Comment

It IS an 18" speaker driver. The low frequency punch is nice. The optimal sealed cabinet size for an 18" speaker is a bit larger then what I have to work with, however I did pack the chamber behind the driver densely with polyester batting. Doing this packing makes the speaker chamber acoustically larger. This concept is counter intuitive, but true and the results are good.

Comment

Originally posted by coletiff View Post
                It IS an 18" speaker driver.
                No way at the ratios in the pics. If that's a 22" bass drum then the driver is 15". If it's an 18" driver, then it's in a 26" bass drum.

Comment

It's very cool. How much does it weigh? Also nice touch with the oriental rug. Tell us about rest of your kit.
                  Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

OK...I've just completed my kit and getting ready to move it out of my drum room where there's room to photograph it. Give me a couple of days. Here's a list of the components:

1st.....my kick drum speaker system with the rack secured to the top tom tom mount for extra stability. I use a hammered metal 13" Hart Dynamics snare...I mounted an extra piaso inside the shell wall where the cross stick lands, for more rim attack. I use the same drum as the snare for a 13" floor tom. Going up to the rack, I have two 12" pintech toms and a 10" pintech tom. I use a PD-8 for effect triggers. I have 1 14" hart Metal crash cymbal. I decided to go with the Zildjian Gen16 cymbal system mostly due to the lameness of e Hi-Hats and the feel of a 20" ride cymbal. All cymbals are the newer buffed bronze and not the older nickel with the newer direct source pickups. I have a pair of 14" Hi-Hats with two pickups instead of one for fuller sound, a 20" ride, an 18" crash, and a 16" crash. I've decided that I'm going to sell the 16" and 18" crashes and go with electronic ones. The feel is less important and I only use one zone for crash.
                    Thanks for asking! AND I'll post pictures in the introduction thread.I attached a picture from my trip to Roswell, New Mexico :-)
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                    X