Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eCocktail Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eCocktail Kit

Hi, I just wanted to share with you all my latest project. Thanks to the knowledge you have so kindly shared on this form I have gained the understanding need to handle a few A to E kit conversions myself. This one is an e****tail kit unitizing a GP percussion ****tail kit with a vexed TD9. I cobbled it together with a variety things laying around my workshop. I used a Quartz percussions harness for the top head setup and a couple Remo silent stroke heads for the top(tom) and bottom (bass) heads. The bass drum presented a few problems but after trying a few different solutions it has been rock solid. The GP set up uses mounts that are just slightly smaller in diameter than the Roland L-rods so utilizing roland cymbals, and pads was a cinch. Before the project was even completed I was asked to fill in at a local church on Sundays. After trying to play on the old broken and neglected acoustic set they had and talking with the frustrated sound man about his inability to get a decent mix with the drum dominating everything I suggested they might want to try an electric kit. So I showed up with this thing the next week and the response has been overwhelmingly positive. I'm still planning to swap out the roland pads with the original ones that came with the kit but I have found the jacks that came with the triggers to be somewhat unreliable. So if any of you could recommend a jack that you have had success with I would be grateful.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    TD-9 2.0 + TD-6 | PD-120R (2) | PD-105 (3) | CY 12R/C (2) | CY-5 | CY-8 (2)| KD-9 | Yamaha Double Kick | VEX Packs (Hodgepodge, Naturals) | Frankenstand MDS 9+8| Mackie 402-VLZ3 Mixer | Sennheisser HD 380 pro

One suggestion: try the new Roland KT10 kick unit instead of the acoustic kick set up. It gives you flexibility of placement and no risk of xtalk.
    . digitalDrummer
    Review index

Comment

I did consider the new Roland kick pedal but I have two concerns. First is the cost, at $200 it will be nearly 20 times what I have invested in the bass drum trigger now. And second is the coolness or wow factor... the fact that the bass drum pedal is reversed and strikes the bottom head of the "long tom" is what intrigues people, well...mainly drummers, and is a great conversation starter. My bass drum setup is a rubber coated piezo I picked up for a few bucks stuffed inside a 3m sanding block sandwiched between the bottom head and a piece of solar screen leftover from some pre silentstroke diy mesh hybrid drumhead experiments.
      TD-9 2.0 + TD-6 | PD-120R (2) | PD-105 (3) | CY 12R/C (2) | CY-5 | CY-8 (2)| KD-9 | Yamaha Double Kick | VEX Packs (Hodgepodge, Naturals) | Frankenstand MDS 9+8| Mackie 402-VLZ3 Mixer | Sennheisser HD 380 pro

Comment

I have video from when I first tested the kit on Vimeo.
        https://vimeo.com/102548073

Comment

Nice video. Looks and sounds great.
          . digitalDrummer
          Review index

Comment

The jack being unreliable could be a couple of things. More often than not, it is the cable. Try swapping the cable with another you know is perfect. Then, if it still performs badly, check the soldering on the jack. Might have come loose from moving the kit around and playing with the DIY setup.
            DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
            Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
              The jack being unreliable could be a couple of things. More often than not, it is the cable. Try swapping the cable with another you know is perfect. Then, if it still performs badly, check the soldering on the jack. Might have come loose from moving the kit around and playing with the DIY setup.
              I'm also suspicious of whether you've really got a bad jack - especially if it came with your piezos (and I'm assuming they were Quartz triggers, based on your OP above?) ... all of my Quartz trigger jacks were flawless. Frankly, even cheapo ones from Radio Shack have never caused me grief ... but as perceval says, cables are a constant source of frustration.

For some reason it's always the last thing we isolate as the problem, when it's usually the first thing to go. And yes, definitely check your soldering connection points too.

Comment

Thanks for your input and I've been through a ton of troubleshooting with these kits and my soldering skills have definitely been an issue in the past but I have isolated the problem and its definitely the jacks themselves. In this case the Quartz percussion triggers used came second hand so I do not know where they are actually from but they do look identical to the ones that I've purchased from Quartz in the past. I've used Quartz triggers on all of the drums I've done (around a dozen at this point) and they have been great but it just so happens that my first kit that I built had the same problem with one of the jacks that I did get directly from Quartz. The solder joints are not the problem however, the thing is that the jacks in question will only work if you pull them out a couple of millimeters, it's as if the internal connection points are In the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by hofdrummer View Post
                  Thanks for your input and I've been through a ton of troubleshooting with these kits and my soldering skills have definitely been an issue in the past but I have isolated the problem and its definitely the jacks themselves. In this case the Quartz percussion triggers used came second hand so I do not know where they are actually from but they do look identical to the ones that I've purchased from Quartz in the past. I've used Quartz triggers on all of the drums I've done (around a dozen at this point) and they have been great but it just so happens that my first kit that I built had the same problem with one of the jacks that I did get directly from Quartz. The solder joints are not the problem however, the thing is that the jacks in question will only work if you pull them out a couple of millimeters, it's as if the internal connection points are In the wrong place.
                  Sorry to hear you're having these hassles. Sometimes the metal handle do-hickey in the jack gets bent just slightly away from the center line over time. Might try bending it inward to firm up the connection. Otherwise, yeah, trash that sucker and move on!

Comment

Nice kit...I am guessing I need to build such a kit myself!

Angr77
                    Last edited by angr77; 09-28-14, 10:15 AM.
                    Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR,RT-10/30,BT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Dingbat,Triggera D14, D11, ATV AD-h14, PCY-155, 120MHz MD with PS board, 2box 3/5/5MKII, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.19. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

Working...
                    X