Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A2E... New to Me...Eazzy??... with pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A2E... New to Me...Eazzy??... with pics.

Having started a thread looking for views on the merits of Jobeky and Diamond Drums, forum members stepped up and posed the question.. why not DIY??? Well thanks to OneWatt and Daniel in a supporting role I've grasped the nettle so to speak. Some pics of a rust pitted old snare I've had in the garage for many years I worked on today to convert to an edrum.

Snare 2.jpg

After a bit of elbow grease, some distilled vinegar and car wax it started to look like a shiny drum again.
    Snare 3.jpg

So popped on a Quartz trigger and a Z-ED two ply mesh head and it was looking good.

Snare 4.jpg Snare 5.jpg

My original reason for looking into acoustic style kits was to increase the batter area of the drums as the PD 85s were/are just too small. Anyway, the 'new' snare has allowed me to move the PD 105 to the 1st tom position and so the whole thing seems ver strange at the moment. In fact the 14 inch snare seems far too big and feels like its pushing me away from the kit. I suppose I'll get used to it.

Kit 1.jpg

I've got it working kind of. The head is triggering great style but the rim is also triggering particularly when playing the head adjacent to the rim piezo. I have spent a fair bit of time with the TD9 manual and I've moved the piezo around the shell but it still triggers inadvertently. Any ideas on how to combat this would be appreciated.

Cheers
    MOTM
    TD9KX2, Pearl and Gibraltar Hardware, CY8. Naturals VEX.

To improve your rim triggering, try mounting the piezo on an l-bracket so that it's parallel with the head. Mount the bracket on a lug screw, so that it picks up impulses from the hoop, via the tension rod.
    . digitalDrummer
    Review index

Comment

Thanks allanjohn do you have any pics or a sketch of this arrangement ?
      Cheers motm

Comment

I'm sure there's a pic somewhere in this forum, but really isn't that hard to figure out. Remove the mesh head, remove one screw from a lug around the 8 o'clock position. Put in a L bracket and screw back. Slap your rim piezo on the L part sticking out with double tape. Screw mesh head back on. Adjust to taste within td9
        DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
        Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Thanks, will try that.
          Cheers motm

Comment

Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
            To improve your rim triggering, try mounting the piezo on an l-bracket so that it's parallel with the head. Mount the bracket on a lug screw, so that it picks up impulses from the hoop, via the tension rod.

You do mean "L" bracket right?
            "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Yes, L
              . digitalDrummer
              Review index

Comment

Also if you still have a bit of trouble you can use more than one layer of double sided foam tape to help with isolation. Other than that....it's all give and take between placement, mounting and tweaking the module.

BTW...nice job bringing that shell back to life.
                8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Thanks again all.

L bracket in place with the piezo taped. Moved to 8 o'clock and rim no longer triggering from head but rim not quite as sensitive as I would like. I think I'll get a rubber rim for the hoop as it's noisy bashing away on the steel. The new drum is definitely quieter than the pads. My heads now full of ideas. Another old steel snare is taking up space in the garage so I think I'll convert to a floor tom. If I can fit some kind of tom mount on it I can hang it off the Roland frame... I think you've created a monster here.

Cheers.
                  MOTM

Comment

How have you attached the piezo to the bracket? If you used double-sided foam tape, try KRT (double-sided clear tape). And make sure the adhesive piece is smaller than the silicon disk on top.
                    . digitalDrummer
                    Review index

Comment

The piezo is sitting on the bracket wire side down. A narrow piece of duct tape binds it to the bracket. Does that sound right? There is nothing between the piezo an the bracket.

Comment

No, that doesn't sound right. The duct tape is probably suppressing vibrations. Mount it wire side up, with double-sided tape no larger than the silicon. The piezo needs to be able to vibrate.
                        . digitalDrummer
                        Review index

Comment

Thanks I'll try that.

Comment

MOTM - Great to see your project well under way!

FWIW, I've got my rim trigger piezo(s) attached directly to the inside of my 14" snare rim with 2-sided adhesive tape; in fact I placed about 3-4 piezos (all from Quartz) wired together and spaced around the inner rim to ensure consistent firing anywhere I hit the snare rim. My concern was not getting enough sensitivity when trying to execute rim/stick hits (bossa, jazz clicks).

So, as a guy with no lack of rim piezos on his A2E snare, my suggestion for getting the cross-talk issue resolved is to tweak those cross-talk and rim gain settings on your TD-9 within the snare trigger setup screens until you like the balance and blend between the head and the rim.

Looks like you got one of those snazzy Quartz suspension mounts for your head piezo - looks clean and am assuming that should work well. In my case I went for the (more primitive?) metal shelf hanger and hacksaw-cut-to-size approach (parts from Home Depot) as Quartz shows on their website. This required putting some rubber garden hose washers between the L-brackets and the wooden snare rim to further isolate the head strikes from activating those rim piezo(s).

Hopefully some of this helps you find the secret sauce that works best for you. As I recall the TD-9 (seen in your photo) provides ample control over the trigger functionality to accomplish what I've just described above. I had a TD-9 (v2) for a while and it was a really great module.

That snare of your sure is nice looking. Congratulations! - OneWatt

Comment

Quick update. Now that I havre the piezo the correct way up the snare is working great. So thanks for the advice.

Forging ahead with the conversion. Purchased a 12 inch and 13 inch tom from fleabay and a new inexpensive bass drum and lugs to allow fitting to the roland rack from Thomann. All the bits arrived today so the pics attached are a test for fit with the existing TD9 rack. Ordered up the mesh heads and triggers so the full kit should be up and running soon. I think it's starting to look stealthy. Oh yes, also purchased a CY15 for ride position.

The tea towel wrapped round the cymbal boom is PPE measure to prevent injury to a small person and not part of the overall concept. However, now that I think about it, it could be a new product line. So patent pending, copyright MOTM.

A to E 1.jpg A to E 2.jpg

Cheers
                              MOTM

Comment

Working...
                              X