Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clown foam nose DIY trigger, works great (with pics and video)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Clown foam nose DIY trigger, works great (with pics and video)

    Hey everyone!

    In the pursuit of better triggering (was using 682 drums trigger and could not make it work well with my megadrum even with a pot installed) ,I have been searching for different sources of foam to make a cone or cylinder for my DIY triggers. I tried many types/densities/sources of foam but because my skill with a saw are very limited the results were always very poor.
    So I bought a foam clown nose ( basically it is a red foam ball sliced a bit for your nose to go in) cut it in half (using a bread knife) threw it over a piezo and placed it on a 12" drum with a DIY 2 layer fiber net mesh head, connected it to my megadrum and WOW...no false triggering, super fast rolls, detects all hits. On the borders it is not great and sometimes it misses hits, especially light ones but on the center zone it is amazing!

    Still cannot get positional sensing to work properly so maybe I am gonna buy 1 cone from quartz triggers to see if it works better.

    Check out a sample of its triggering!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqFb...ature=youtu.be

    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.

  • #2
    Stop clowning around! :-)
    Roland TD-30, VH-13, 2 pcs CY-12c, Alesis DM Pro 14" three zone ride, Pintech Concertcast dual zone: 12" snare, 2 pcs 10" toms, 12" tom, 12" kick, Gibraltar rack, DW 9000 or Axis A pedal, Gibraltar HH stand, DW snare stand, DIY "Butkicker" style tactile transducer system using Aura shakers.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hahaha :-)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by chain View Post
        Hey everyone!

        Still cannot get positional sensing to work properly so maybe I am gonna buy 1 cone from quartz triggers to see if it works better.
        Your clown nose foam is a clever idea! If you're interested in experimenting with different shapes/densities of foam, you might find this link to be useful:

        http://www.mcmaster.com/#foam

        Please do keep us posted on the results of your experiments!



        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by OneWatt View Post

          Your clown nose foam is a clever idea! If you're interested in experimenting with different shapes/densities of foam, you might find this link to be useful:

          http://www.mcmaster.com/#foam

          Please do keep us posted on the results of your experiments!


          Thanks! The thing is I am from Europe so mcmaster is no good for me.
          I will post any other good result I get!

          Comment


          • #6
            You seem to have a 'nose' for for making triggers....groooooooaaaaaannnnnnnn!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by chain View Post

              Thanks! The thing is I am from Europe so mcmaster is no good for me.
              I will post any other good result I get!
              Then there's always: http://www.eurofoam.eu/en/

              (assuming they sell small quantities to the public)
              Last edited by OneWatt; 09-15-14, 06:05 PM.

              Comment

              Working...
              X