Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natural Gum Rubber for top stick noise. Stealth Drums/Cymbals Video Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Gum Rubber for top stick noise. Stealth Drums/Cymbals Video Demo

I decided to test out some 1/16" thick gum rubber on top of one of my Stealth ride cymbals for a little additional stick noise dampening. For me this is simply a test and I will be removing gum rubber right away since I prefer to use the cymbals with no top dampening. But since some like to dampen the top stick noise a little more I thought I would demo this. On a positive note the stick response and triggering response is still quite good with the rubber applied and I barely needed to raise the sensitivity at all. I used a few strips of Killer Red 2 sided tape to apply the rubber. The difference in stick noise is subtle with the rubber mainly cutting out the higher pitch the stick makes on the bare metal. The gum rubber I used was reasonably priced from Grainger and one sheet would be enough to do several cymbals. Here is a link: https://www.grainger.com/product/Rubber-1XWD5
    Last edited by JmanWord; 06-27-17, 02:08 PM.
    I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
    Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Interesting. I wonder how effective this would be without dampening on the bottom?
    . digitalDrummer
    Review index

Comment

Wow the bow really became quiet with the rubber!

Comment

what would be all the practical applications for doing this to your cymbals?
        TD-30 , DW3000 Double pedal, 3XCY-12, 2XCY14, Cy15R. 3XPD105, 3XPD125, VH12 hats, Yorkville powered 1000W P.A

Comment

I played a TD9 in a small church and the people in the front could hear sticks hitting pads. So reducing ambient stick noise would be why IMHO.
          TD-25KV, Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

Originally posted by billgtx View Post
            I played a TD9 in a small church and the people in the front could hear sticks hitting pads. So reducing ambient stick noise would be why IMHO.
            exactly....
            8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
            http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

I must have punished a lot of ears in my church back in the days when I was playing my Vistalite acoustic kit........ fortunately it was a very lively outreach ministry ....... and they liked the punishment!
              But, yeah, personally I don't need any extra stick dampening beyond what my Stealth cymbals already have, but there are definitely situations where people want to kill off more of the top noise. The gum rubber does help with that.
              I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
              Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

ah ok cool. might try this on my roland cymbals, or is this only for metal cymbals?
                TD-30 , DW3000 Double pedal, 3XCY-12, 2XCY14, Cy15R. 3XPD105, 3XPD125, VH12 hats, Yorkville powered 1000W P.A

Comment

Originally posted by spikeithard View Post
                  ah ok cool. might try this on my roland cymbals, or is this only for metal cymbals?
                  I'm not sure it would benefit the Roland's much as it may just make them less sensitive....but let us know what you find out.
                  8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
                  http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Interesting...reducing stick noise on cymbals is always good when you're trying to keep the mrs onside with our beloved hobby!

Comment

I've always got to thinking when I see threads like these: How soft are these rubber sprays and cutouts people use? I mean, softer rubber like most computer mouse mats or something must be optimal at reducing noise but they surely would make the cymbals less sensitive, right? I mean, the reason why the Yamaha silicone pads are so quiet is because the silicone is really soft and bouncy. And they also have those airbubbles in them that reduces noise, you could probably achieve the same effect as those airbubbles by having multiple layers of dampening material on your drums/cymbals but that would further decrease sensitivity.

So the optimal would be to find some rubber that you can apply to cymbals that are just enough soft and bouncy or some triggers for the cymbals that are sensitive enough that you can almost dip the entire cymbal in rubber or whatever and still get a working result out of it.

I'm more than likely just stating the obvious here. But I doubt that there is some undiscovered revolutionairy material out there that we haven't tried yet that would make A2E cymbals super-quiet and still keep the feel of an acoustic cymbal.

I'm just rambling, carry on with your business.

Comment

Working...
                      X