Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a DTXpress IV Module be used for a DIY Acoustic-Electric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a DTXpress IV Module be used for a DIY Acoustic-Electric?

I've noticed that used yamaha's are pretty reasonable. I've been looking at a particular DTXPress IV and a DTXtreme IIs... Would both of those brains be capable of working with some DIY triggers? I managed to get 5 triggers for 7.50 on eBay, so I'm eager to get a brain to start messing with.
    Get the guaranteed best price on Acoustic Triggers like the Pulse Red Hot Five-Piece Trigger Pack at Musicians Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

The DTXtreme IIS is the one to get. Most tweakable and the most inputs.

Get some L brackets and install your piezos on the side of the shells. A potentiometer would have been nice since the piezos may be a little on the hot side for the input signal. Maybe later.

Don't expect amazing sounds from the module, but it would make a killer setup with VSTs.
    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

I'm with Perceval here, DTXtreme II is the one to get if you're choosing between those particular modules.

Comment

I suppose it may come down to the price I can get them for. Its actually going to be a full kit, but I want to make my acoustic into triggers too, hence the questions! One other... If i were to get the full yamaha kit, am I able to use the pads with a roland brain? and vice versa? Or are the roland and yamaha pads different?

Comment

Also remember that Yamaha usually uses switches for rim triggering so you won't get rim sounds with traditional piezo triggers
          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Yeah, Yamaha uses piezo/switch to trigger their stuff, most others uses piezo/piezo. Although on newer Yamaha modules like the 500, 700 and 900 series the tom-inputs on the brain is actually piezo/piezo.
            So I, using a Yamaha DTX500 module and Triggera Intrigg triggers (say that fast 5 times!) can get a dual-zoned snare or tom by plugging the drums into the tom-inputs of the module. So if it isn't too big of a leap in cost I'd say look for a DTX500 module, or even better, a DTX502.
            Any normal piezo-trigger should work on basically every drum module out there. Just remember that if you really want that dual-zoned snare or if you're making your own cymbal triggers and want those dual-zoned then you'll have to either make them piezo/switch (I don't know how tricky that is) to get them to be multizoned or use a newer Yamaha module and plug the piezo/piezo triggers into the tom inputs and manually change the sound of each zone on the pads on every kit in the module.

Comment

Just before reading this I just jumped the gun on a yamaha DTXpress IV Special on eBay. I really think I got a great price, but I've just started a poll to make sure I have!
              I just won an eBay auction this lot for what I consider to be a bargain £370: Yamaha DTXpress IV Special Roc 'n' Soc Throne with backrest Alesis Transactive Drummer Wireless Monitor Sennheiser HD205 Headphones There's also a bunch of used sticks (with plenty of life) and a couple of tuition books. To be

Comment

Working...
              X