Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covering and dampening an acoustic cymbal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering and dampening an acoustic cymbal

Since Trigerra has decided to not go forth with a 17/18" ride cymbal, I got to wondering...

Searched around but couldn't find posts with this idea.

How about covering an acoustic cymbal with Liquid Tape or Plasti-Dip?

For the ones wanting a gold colored cymbal, Plasti-Dip has a gold spray. 4 to 5 layers on the top and bottom should dampen cymbal and stick sounds. And if it doesn't work, it is peel-able!

I would try it, but a can is over $25 here! compared to $6 in the US!

If it works well enough for the grip of a hockey stick, it should do ok on a cymbal!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ3d33ono0c

Any comments?
    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Most acoustic cymbals are already gold but As for dampening there are thin vinyl sheets that can be applied to the undersides of the cymbals as per a acoustic to electronic conversions from Jman's stealthdrums.com. I saw a company on the web that offered a product similar to auto undercoating for the dampening of cymbals but for the life of me, I can't find them since

Comment

I've tried a polymere type of kit (can't remember the name right now) for reducing stick noise. Completely transparent, good adhesion, but hard to get it evenly spread on top of the cymbal.

Once I've got the rest of my kit up and running. I'll give this a go.
      Brain: mega drum. 5 toms: DIY mesh head, side-mounted DIY triggers. Snare: 14" 682 head, DIY crossbar trigger. 2xDIY beaterless BD pedal. .Cymbals: Crash: 2x 16" brass: 2 zone. Ride: 20" brass: 2 zone. Hi-Hat: 14" 1 zone DIY Control pedal + Pearl H900 stand. + drum rack:

Comment

Originally posted by hemiboy View Post
        Most acoustic cymbals are already gold but As for dampening there are thin vinyl sheets that can be applied to the undersides of the cymbals as per a acoustic to electronic conversions from Jman's stealthdrums.com. I saw a company on the web that offered a product similar to auto undercoating for the dampening of cymbals but for the life of me, I can't find them since
        The beauty of a spray like plasti-dip is that it can be taken off without fighting over the glue residue.

Don't know if it's the case with liquid tape....

Comment

I just tried spraying a 10" old splash cymbal with this stuff. came out real lumpy. will wait until it dries to see how durable it is.

Comment

I really wish roland would come out with a 10" e-splash cymbal. I know they have the cy5. I think that is 10". I dont care for how it looks as the mounting hole is off center.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethedrummer View Post
              I just tried spraying a 10" old splash cymbal with this stuff. came out real lumpy. will wait until it dries to see how durable it is.
              Cool!

Thanks for trying! Did you follow the application procedure? First coat is about 50% coverage, let it dry, than at least 3 more coats.

Comment

Very curious about the outcome too!

Originally posted by perceval View Post

Cool!

Thanks for trying! Did you follow the application procedure? First coat is about 50% coverage, let it dry, than at least 3 more coats.

Comment

I finished the cymbal last night. 2 coats per side. This stuff comes out very thick so, if you want to do this- start your spraying off the cymbal them move onto it. Get back further than you would when using spray paint. The stuff goes everywhere. Wear old shirts and jeans cause the stuff does not come out. I let the spray dry for a long time. It came out good. The flat black matches the rubber Roland uses. not as soft and rubbery as I would think. It sticks really tight to the cymbal. I set it up and played on it awhile last night. it does dampen the volume. The sound is more of a thwack with no overtones. It triggers OK through my TD8. Probably better through my TD9 but all inputs are full on that module. I used a cheap PIntech stick on trigger. Perhaps a better quality, newer trigger would work better. The problem I was having was with the scan time. Some hits louder than others Ect. As far as durability, I think at some point the rubber may chip off and get on the other drum surfaces. If I was going to stick with using this cymbal I would definitely want to add a mouse pad to the striking surface, and maybe a rubber edge guard.

Comment

Thanks for trying and posting back!

Comment

Working...
                    X