Convert a KD-8 to a KD-80 style mesh kick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert a KD-8 to a KD-80 style mesh kick

So this all started out because I scored this sweet piccolo snare and stand for $60. Which I'm going to convert to a mesh snare.

Untitled by ajm3874, on Flickr

That meant I had an extra PD-85 from my kit to do something with because I don't need an extra tom.
    I'm currently playing on a KD-8 kick and was thinking about upgrading to a mesh style kick anyway, so I figured I'd see if I could use the KD-8 stand and attach the PD-85 to it to make something like this, the KD-80.

KD-80FrontMAP-82b297aefd0e570e58554f2be6972087 by ajm3874, on Flickr

I started by removing the mesh head and the chrome mount from the PD-85

Note the top gold threaded hole in the back of the drum and the two holes at the base (red and yellow arrows above)

Next I took the beater face, foam and back plate off of the KD-8. Note the two holes with the rubber grommets just below the mounting plate. As far as I know they are useless on the KD-8 but serendipitously they line up <almost> perfect with the two holes at the base of the PD-85

I put screws I found in my garage through the bottom holes in the PD-85 and through the holes in the KD-8 like so...
    I should have measured the bottom screws, but I'm guessing they are about 2 inches long

In this photo I'm lining things up to prepare to drill a hole for the top hole in the PD-85. Note the location of the horizontal red arrow.

I marked the KD-8 where the top hole of the PD-85 was and then drilled it. The hole is 15/64" which was just big enough to allow the original screw that was in that hole in the PD-85 to pass through.

Put all the screws in....

The KD-85 is quite secure and it's staring to look like a mesh kick!

Continued on next post....
    Last edited by ThePod; 08-27-14, 01:55 AM.

Continued

I replaced the back plastic part of the KD-8 for a more "professional" look

But the mounting plate for the kick pedal is a little short.

So I drilled two holes in the base of it. 15/64" drill. and put to bolts up through it.

I secured them with nuts on the top (red arrows) which also leveled out the surface with the ridge in the metal (blue arrow). Yes I'm aware that the bolts are too long :-)
    [Untitled by ajm3874, on Flickr

I fashioned a quick plastic baseplate out of a piece of 1/8" thick plastic, drilled it it and placed it on top. I placed it off to the side due to the way my pedal sits when positioned with a double beater.

Took it upstairs and hooked it up to my pedal. It looks pretty good to me.

Here is a quick video of it. Please pardon my marginal drumming skills and even worse videograpy skills! I threw a falam-slam patch on it to save the mesh head.
    http://youtu.be/G07GUgT60v4

It triggers very well with PD-80 as the pad type setting on my TD-6, I set the threshold to about 9 or 10. There is a lot more rebound than the KD-8. It's as quiet as the KD-8. Time will tell if I get used to it.

All told it took me about 2 hours to do including fabricating a new mounting plate for the base. It requires three drill holes which is maybe medium difficulty because they are through a steel plate, but other than that it's dead simple and completely reversible if I want to go back to the KD-8. Best of all it was free...did I mention free?

Now to convert that piccolo snare!!!
    Last edited by ThePod; 08-27-14, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X