Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd question (3D Printer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd question (3D Printer)

Has anyone considered designing a trigger system that would be printed via a 3D printer? Like, could be tailor made to drum sizes and such? Or would that material be not so good for making trigger systems?

3D printing is making evolutionary leaps and bounds in it's capabilities. The materials used is growing rapidly. Our aerospace systems are calling for think tanks on creating drones and UAV's... on the fly. So if they can print out a metal plane, I can only imagine the sub-set of those things possible.

I'm not sure where printing drums comes into the mix of priorities though. 8p

Comment

I'm sure, if nothing else, that even today's 3D printer tech could very well print out "Rolandesque" style baskets for traditional trigger builds....or custom mounting solutions with no problem at all.
      8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
      http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Originally posted by fulrmr(Daniel) View Post
        I'm sure, if nothing else, that even today's 3D printer tech could very well print out "Rolandesque" style baskets for traditional trigger builds....or custom mounting solutions with no problem at all.
        Right... so... who do I give my money to help invest in this idea? Or rather, who wants to design something I would print (if I bought a 3D Printer) (which you can rent)

Comment

This 3d printer thing is amazing, I think. But it may bring some copyright issues at some point. Right now, they use some hard plastic to create pieces, not metal! Don't if the plastic would flex too much, but it could be designed with some reinforcements and could be amazing. There was a user here, Ronnie, using a dtx950, that produced some really nice 3d renderings of his ideas for the "next" 2Box kit!
          DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
          Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

My company is actually investing in 3D printer. I have already had some discussions with my sales rep around scanning and printing a basket. We're still a few weeks away from this being a reality but I'll keep keep the forum updated on my progress. I know it will certainly be made of plastic and quite sturdy. However, the only question will be its cost.

Keep rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Venimal View Post

Right... so... who do I give my money to help invest in this idea? Or rather, who wants to design something I would print (if I bought a 3D Printer) (which you can rent)
              The "retail personal printers"(as opposed to commercial ones) that are currently on the market will probly come with some limited design software for start up purposes however to my knowledge standard CAD software is used to produce detailed designs for these. So...anyone with this and the skills to use it could help you.
              8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting

Comment

Drip2112,
                If you are looking initially to prove the concept I may be able to help a bit. I have created in Solidworks models of a PD-125 basket. The model is NOT a complete or exact copy of the basket, but is close. Several years ago I first created models of my e-set and a-set to advance my SW skills. Recently I updated those models while trying to knock the rust off of those skills (and try to get my self gainfully employed). The original model was done with some compromises as I just wanted an imitation of the bottom of the basket to be visible in an assembled PD-125. This time I went for most of the additional interior detail. The features are reasonable facsimiles of the real thing but they are not perfect matches by any means. If these might be of use as a time saver (no scanning) I'll be glad to provide STLs or whatever. I believe, but can not claim that this would fit a PD-125 size shell. It is currently missing the bosses to support a PCB and jack that exists in the Roland product.

Lyle

eta: I have the the PD-105 basket as well if a smaller one would be preferable for testing.

Last edited by slyone; 05-19-18, 12:16 AM.
                and the jukebox plays..... !! (the Nails - Home of the Brave )

E-set : TDW-20, 2 up & 2 down, VH-12, 6 cymbals (5 CY14, 1 CY15), 2 Pintech Dingbats all on a Gibraltar rack, thru a Simmons DA200S
                VExpressions Gigging Kits & Top 50 Drummers #1

A-set : 1968 Ludwig Hollywood in Burgundy Sparkle

Comment

If you create an internal trigger like this (really comfortable and removable) in the measures 10-12-13-14-16-22 with a standard bearing edge (for our drums) I will be the first buyer!
                  Td30, Pearl SBX, PC-VST/Expander

Comment

One should probly veer away from copying the Roland design exactly and come up with something a bit more "original" that will keep the "Big R" of your back should you decide to sell a few of these.

Comment

Agreed on the "something more original" if this were to become more real. The models I have done are for my own use, but if they help to test the concept of being able to print an item of this size with these kind of contours then I'm willing to supply it for that purpose.

Lyle
                      Last edited by slyone; 08-17-14, 07:41 PM.
                      and the jukebox plays..... !! (the Nails - Home of the Brave )

E-set : TDW-20, 2 up & 2 down, VH-12, 6 cymbals (5 CY14, 1 CY15), 2 Pintech Dingbats all on a Gibraltar rack, thru a Simmons DA200S
                      VExpressions Gigging Kits & Top 50 Drummers #1

A-set : 1968 Ludwig Hollywood in Burgundy Sparkle

Comment

And Google has made recent announcements on it's involvement with 3D Printing and consumers...

Project Ara

Comment

Originally posted by slyone View Post
                          Agreed on the "something more original" if this were to become more real. The models I have done are for my own use, but if they help to test the concept of being able to print an item of this size with these kind of contours then I'm willing to supply it for that purpose.

Lyle
                          Agreed...if for personal use...might as well match the current pads you are using as close as possible. Also...Roland does not make and 8" drop in/removable basket. I wonder if using their design for such would be considered taboo?

Comment

Plus it would be cool to have baskets for multiple sizes. For me, personally, I really prefer to have actual drum sizes. I try to keep my electric kit as close to my acoustic as possible.

I'd totally pay for that!

Comment

Trouble is, most 3d printer available to the masses are limited to 8" x 8", or 9" x 6". Not big enough for our needs. After that, one would need access to an industrial printer, but those are really expensive!
                              DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                              Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Working...
                              X