Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas for a cheap switch for e-cymbals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for a cheap switch for e-cymbals

Hey guys,

i'm trying to find a solution for to use as a switch for the edge of my e-cymbals.
    i don't have cymbal i can cut, and i don't have the gear to cut a cymbal.
    i would really appreciate any creative idea for a replacement.

thanks

See my thread here DIY film switch for edge trigger and choke application for one idea. That takes a 3 wire ribbon cable (they are spaced a couple mm apart)…and uses the center as the contact (add foil)…along with foil below. The two wires alongside suspend. I've used that to make a single zone Alesis into a dual zone. Works nice. I have a new camera now so can provide far better pictures.

But even easier, and especially useful for trigger blocks (add a piezo for velocity info, wire up like a cymbal) is to take a vinyl mini-blind slat, and cut to length (…use curve side up). It has a lovely curve in it (very flexible), which if you apply copper foil at the roof, will contact another piece of foil below perfectly when pressed, and I am guessing it will have a long cycle life. It's simplicity to the max for a membrane type switch! Can add some foam over for looks or protection. After some time it might fatigue but the switch is nothing to make, $4 at Walmart for the blind and $7 for the copper foil tape will get you hundreds of switches.
    Last edited by Meshopotamia; 06-15-14, 11:37 PM. Reason: Typo
    - - -
    Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

Here are some illustrations for the above post and they improved upon the other originals. Note that these are pictures of *two* types of switch. The one inside the cymbal is no relation to the one based on the blind slat.The blind slat does not have the bottom contact shown. It's perfect for metal cymbals where you can use the cymbal as a ground. Solder a wire to the foil extension, and add tape. If a linear blind slat could be melted into a curve to match the edge of a cymbal, it's the perfect choke switch in my view, and cheap. Perhaps there's enough curve to cut it though, and still have some raised part…you only need a sliver of foil contact to make it work, and it only need be raised off the other contractor by a sliver…just not touching…which is why the ribbon cable approach works alright (usually)

5.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg 1.jpeg
      - - -
      Remo Practice set conversion, DIY cymbals, PD-7's & PD-9's, CY-5, Sonor Hi-Hat stand, Roland TD-6V, Zoom RT-123, CB700 snare, Simmons SDMP1 Tunes: https://soundcloud.com/artly-there

Comment

Well, my friend, thank you! you definitely got me thinking.
        do you have a video of these in action?

BTW, i think i should mention, i'm using a td20 module, and gonna trigger an acoustic cymbal.

Comment

I don't have a video at the moment. Can get the copper tape foil at Hobby Lobby or similar craft store. I got the ribbon cable on ebay, but any kind of a wide flat flexible C channel anything which allows for the foil tape to be placed and suspended over the other contact would work. (that flat type 2 conductor antenna wire would work too I bet, old time TV type).

For a choke switch, you can use anything though really, as long as you have conductive contacts. Could cut from those thin plastic 'for sale' signs you can get at Walmart, suspend using some double sided tape of whatever thickness keeps it from shorting.
          - - -

Comment

Working...
          X