Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New build, still trying to figure things out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build, still trying to figure things out

I want to start a new build, mine is just to ugly to look at :-) Here is where I am at:

-I have thought about buying a second hand A kit but the cheap ones are horrible and rusty...The alternative I have is buying a new 180 drumkit and change the wraps but the good ones cost the same as the drumkit! (I am from Europe, Portugal)

http://www.thomann.de/pt/startone_st...tandard_bk.htm

http://www.musicstore.de/pt_PT/PTE/B...O_qeJwqqWp3D0=

I really love the black hardware but what would I do to the harwdare I already own that is not black? Paint it?

-The tom sizes are not very apealing to me, I really like smaller toms attached to a cymbal stand. Would it be possible to saw a bit of the toms to make them shorter? I guess I would have to drill new holes... :-/

-Reagarding triggering I was thinking on doing the cake-pan method, I really like the rim response being even around all the rim but the cake pans will be almost 70 euros! And that is ebay prices!

-I will be doing my own mesh heads from screen door stuff

-I have a pearl bass drum, I could just order some cheap toms and use my old snare drum, but the lugs would nīt match

-I will use my meagadrum + trigger io

-I still need a bigger cymbal to use as a ride but they are all so damn expensive. I have tried silencing some A cybmals using techniques from this forum but they are always louder than the yamahaīs

Here is my current build. I still donīt know what I would do with my 18" roto toms...
    Suggestions are welcome!
    Thanks!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I would keep hunting around for a more attractive and better quality kit that includes all you need. Your budget seems quite low so by the time you rewrap a really cheap new budget kit, it wouldn't be much cheaper. I wouldn't touch the black cheap hardware. It will probably either scratch or flake quite quickly and not be very durable and you will probs spend more money on replacing it soon. It will also be difficult to match the finish if you want to add more gear in the future.

Comment

I'm right there with you on the bigger Ride cymbal. I'm using Roland cymbals right now, but the 15 inch ride definitely bugs me to no end. I'm considering doing the "Stealth Cymbals" thing, but it's a risk because I wont be certain how loud they are until I get them. There is also the Gen 16 cymbals, but they also carry the risk of being too loud.

Comment

Since you don't really need your resonant heads on a A2E conversion you don't have to worry much about drilling new holes after cutting your toms. Unless you really want the hardware and heads on both sides of the toms that is. Otherwise you can cut the toms as shallow as you want. If you'd cut a 12" tom and a 14" tom in half, you could make 2 tom toms out of that one 12" and 2 floor toms from the 14" for example.

I don't know about a bigger ride cymbal, I know Pintech has some pretty nice looking cymbals, although they are quite pricey for a drummer on a budget. Other than that I think Triggera will be unveiling a new ride cymbal sometime in the near future. But for now. I don't think there are many cheap, 16"+ ride cymbals out there.

Comment

Alexis do a 16" ride that's actually pretty decent.

Comment

Originally posted by KennyinDundee View Post
            Alexis do a 16" ride that's actually pretty decent.

Yeah, but I want a BIG ride. 20" minimum, but 22 or 24 would be ideal. I think stealthdrums is probably the best option. They seem well regarded.

Comment

But it will still be noisier than your Yamaha. Start with some toms, yes, cutting them won't be a problem if you don't want / need the resonant heads. Then, by the time you are finished, maybe Trigerra will have their ride ready... Didn't I read about them working on a big ride? Oh, and for black hardware, check out a paint called plastidip.
              DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
              Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

• chain
                chain commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the tip about pastidip! Looks very very interesting!

Yeah, the 13" crash should be out next week. Then we proceed with the 17" ride.
              electronic drum triggers >>> | electronic cymbals >>>

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

• chain
                chain commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking forward to this crash and future ride!

• TheYardbird
                TheYardbird commented
                Editing a comment
                Excited about your new cymbals! They are going to be plastic, right? More lightweight and quieter than your current ones? Or do I just think I've read that somewhere..?

Alexis? I meant Alesis, my apologies. Looking forward to seeing the reviews of the Triggera crash.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips! I will continue thinking and searching for the best solution, I will keep you posted!

Comment

I thought I read somewhere that they were just changing from steel to a different metal for new Triggera cymbals?

Comment

That's right. Aluminum.
                    Funny thing about it: we tried it for the D11 and it worked great and was veeeery quiet. Then we powder coated it, to have the same finish as on D14, and it started to ring as hell!
                    So, we'll leave it raw for the F13 (that's hot the crash will be called; different type of cymbal/technology - different series) and maybe we'll later try anodizing, as we're developing our own line for anodizing ...

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

So the underside of this new line of crashes will be aluminium, is it dual zone bow and edge and can it be choked? What price will the new crash come in at please? Will the new ride that's in development be aluminium too? Sorry for all the questions!!!

Comment

New triggera crash F13 out next week? Brilliant! Will it have after-touch on it though?

Kinda relevant here, since I'm hearing reports that Roland stopped making the CY-14C, so the overpriced MG will be the only option left... or the PCY155
                        ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
                        ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                        PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Yep. Dual zone / chokable. The ride will also be of aluminum.

Subscribe to our FB page

Comment

• fulrmr(Daniel)
                            fulrmr(Daniel) commented
                            Editing a comment
                            hmmm...no rubber? Pics please.
                        Working...
                        X