Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New kits on the way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New kits on the way.

I just bought a new Mapex Armory six piece shell pack in transparent black with the Daisy Cutter snare option. Also ordered a white sparkle Ludwig Breakbeats kit for small jazz gigs. Will post pics and thoughts on both when they arrive.

You lucky boy! Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Comment

They both sound nice! The white sparkle sounds cool. Looking forward to some pics of both. Going on line now to look at both of those kits

Comment

Yes I agree with hemi...Id like to see the white sparkle. Im contemplating having a white sparkle wrap on my new kit Im currently building so any pics would be great!

Comment

interesting choices..can't wait to hear how you like them.....oh...plus 1 more for pics.
          8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
          http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

Congrats!
            Greetings from Switzerland,
            - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Jo, if you don't mind me asking, why two kits? Did you consider using a pared-back version of the main kit for smaller gigs?
              . digitalDrummer
              Review index

Comment

It's a fair question. I picked up the Mapex Armory kit for just under $900 dollars. It is a six piece kit with 4 toms, and a 22" bass drum. It also comes with your choice from 5 Armory snares (I chose the Daisy Cutter model). The guy even threw in new Evans G1s batter side heads for all the drums. I love the sound of these drums with their new rounded bearing edges, and the birch/maple/birch shell construction, so I just couldn't pass up the value. In the past, I have used 20" bass drums for versatility. However, I have never been happy with where the bass drum beater strikes a 20" head. I feel I have to lower the beater to get it to strike in the sweet spot, and that compromises the swing for me. The bass drum on the armory kit is virgin, so it is perfect with the Zildjian AE rack that I already have. I intend to use this kit anytime there is room to do so (with or without the 2nd floor tom). The 22 X 18 is really rich and meaty, as is the hammered metal snare. However, for occasional lobby bar or coffee house jazz gigs, helping with my son's jazz band or just bopping over for a rehearsal, I would rather have something a little more portable and easier to play quietly. Racks are great when you have a lot of gear, but they are counter-productive when you want to go minimalist.

If I could have ordered an 18" Armory bass drum in the same finished with a tom mount, I probably would have. That and a used Ludwig Acrolite would have rounded things out nicely. I called Mapex, and no such animal exists. They could send me a 20" virgin drum, and then I would have to get heavy duty enough stands to hang toms from. Besides, a 20 really isn't that different from a 22- not to mention it would likely cost over $400 to special order a bass drum.

Enter the Breakbeats kit. I heard one at my local drum shop and loved it. The 16" bass drum sounds like an 18" or even a punchy 20". The snare is full size, which is great for brushwork. With good heads on it, the toms sounded dynamite (warm and focused). To my ear, it sounded way better than a Hipgig or the like (unless you get the Al Foster Hipgig). Since the bass drum, and toms are smaller sizes, they fit in the 16" x 36" Protection Racket electronic drum bag I already have. Guitar center had a 2 pack of PDP cymbal stands for $29, so I'm set. For $400 I have a nice sounding little jazz kit ready to throw in my trunk at a moment's notice.

So, for $1300 I wound up with no compromises and a lot of options. I could easily have paid a $1000 more than that for just a 4 piece kit. Granted, I already had the Zildjian AE rack. I think I'm done with boutique kits. The armory kit has a great lacquer finish, excellent shells and quality hardware. The included snares are a steal for the money. I'd rather spend my dough collecting cymbals. In the past, I have had a Yamaha Club Custom kit and a Gretsch New Classic kit that were so nice I was almost afraid to take them out of the house.

Comment

Sounds amazing! Can't wait to see them both!

Comment

I can't wait to see those Breakbeats! I was considering those for my A2E conversion since the sizes are perfect for me and the quality seems really good! The fact that I love The Roots and Questlove is just a bonus, haha :P
                    Although I ended up with a used Gretsch Catalina Club with a 18"bd, 12" hangtom and 14" floortom and snare because my budget is very very tight. Though I'm almost done with the conversion, all I need now is the cables, haven't decided on what way I'll go to get the cables from the Intriggs to the module so I don't know what length on the cables to order x) It'll happen soon though, I can't wait much longer to have a kit to play.

Comment

Yardbird, are you gonna give the jack mounts a shot or cut the holes in the reso heads?

Comment

• TheYardbird
                        TheYardbird commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I will most likely just cut a small hole in the reso heads for now, then later on go for the adapter in the venthole route when I've saved up some money so I can stock up on enough short TRS-cables that I don't have to worry if one of them would stop working when I try to solder them. But money is tight right now so I'll go for the ugly solution x)

Yeh...what are you going to do yardbird with your cables?

Comment

• TheYardbird
                        TheYardbird commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I will most likely just cut a small hole in the reso heads for now, then later on go for the adapter in the venthole route when I've saved up some money so I can stock up on enough short TRS-cables that I don't have to worry if one of them would stop working when I try to solder them. But money is tight right now so I'll go for the ugly solution :P

Not really ugly cus nobody sees it and if money is tough right now that is your only choice. What about the black 682's , gonna swap them out?

Comment

Did you order the Zed triple Xs?

Comment

My tax return is coming on the end of the first week of May. Wanted to ask you . If the humm drum 3 plys and zed triple x is exactly the same head , which is cheaper. Also found 2 sources for the z ed tripps but having a hard time getting in touch with Humm drums . Left them a message on their Facebook page 5 days ago for pricing and shipping quotes but no response

Comment

Working...
                          X