Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most versatile kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most versatile kit?

Hello guys!

I've been playing an electric drum kit for a little more than 4 years and, as I'm going to play with different bands soon, I'm going to have to buy an acoustic kit.

My budget is approximately 1500 euros (shells, cymbals, accessories,... everything) and I need a kit that is going to be very versatile. I play mostly rock (very soft powerballads to very heavy neometal), jazz (mostly bop and brushes but also blues and lounge), pop and latino (samba and bossanova). I know this is going to make things difficult to choose a good drumkit.

It doesn't have to be loud (small gigs and practive with the bands) but I like a precise sound so I was thinking that a 20'' bass drum would be a better choice.

I've consider some models : Gretsch Renown, Mapex Saturn IV and Sonor Select Force.

Could you guys please give me some advice and opinions about these models or other models to consider within this budget?

Consider the new Mapex Armory series with a 20" bass drum. It is a fantastic value, and you get a choice from 5 quality snare drums. The new 2014 Yamaha Stage Custom Birch kit with a 20" bass drum is a great value as well. You will just need to swap out all the heads, but the shells are fantastic. You can often find great deals on a Sabian HHX Evolution cymbal pack with a free ozone cymbal thrown in. Those are fantastic cymbals that are incredibly versatile. There are usually great prices on Zildjian A Custom sets as well. Those are great for everything but straight ahead jazz. Don't forget Tama Superstars and Silverstars.

Comment

Split your budget in half and dedicate at least half of it (750+ euros) to the cymbals alone! While you can significantly change the tone of your drums with different kinds of heads, tuning, muffling etc. you can't much alter the sound of cymbals! So, best focus on them first, and picking something that you like and offer variety for different styles. You may want to start out with a set of one of the well-known brands, or maybe you can pick up a few secod-hand cymbals in good condition!

I suggest a good box-set, like Zildjian's 'K Promo Pack', Sabian's HH or AA 'Performance Pack' or Paiste's 'PST8 Universal Set'. Good results can also be achieved with the 'small turks', like a set of Masterwork 'Troy'- or Istanbul 'Samatya'-series.

Maybe you can find a set of used Paiste 'Signature' or '2002's, or Zildjian A's, if you look around a bit. They are all very versatile cymbals, just remain in the 'Thin Crash' or 'Medium' category, and try to stay away from the 'Power', 'Heavy' and 'Uber-Metal' pies!

Invest in good hardware! (...you don't want your cymbals to fall over and break apart, trust me!) If your drumkit don't already come with stands, consider a sturdy hardware pack. I'm sure companies like Gibraltar will have something in affordable price-range...

The drums itself: Sonor Select Force sounds good to me, also consider offerings like Yamaha's 'Stage Custom' or the good, old classic Pearl 'Export'!

Maybe you can pick up a second-hand Pearl 'Prestige' or 'Masters' kit, who knows? With a bit of luck...

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

The 2014 version of the Gretsch Catalina kits seems very nice aswell! http://www.thomann.de/gb/gretsch_cat...t_glaze_14.htm
        I have an older Catalina kit from... I donno when to be honest, but I seriously want that 2014 version, those round badges are so sweet, especially that new round bassdrum mounting plate... Mmm.. that mounting plate...
        Anyways, like Hairmetal said it would probably be smarter to spend most of your budget on the cymbals since you can't really manipulate their sound like you can with the drums.
        The cymbal packs HM mentioned are great, and be sure to get some sturdy, dual-braced stand so they don't tip over.

Comment

Those new Catalina Maple kits look sweet.

Comment

If you're based in Europe, I would also recommend that you look at DrumCraft - one of the most under-rated acoustic drum names out there. At each price point, you'll find a Drum Craft kit that punches way above the rivals.
            . digitalDrummer
            Review index

Comment

Hi TerryV
              It was sad to read your post....changing drumsets to match the music style is the strongest reason to play eDrums, not acoustic. Just another example of how the industry has let us performing edrummers down. Here's my solution......

2000 Watt Carvin powered Electronic Bass Drum,
              built-in DM10 drum module,
              Double TwinSteele Electronic drum pedals
              Footless High-Hat
              Drumagination.com
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XezG628QXp8

Comment

Working...
              X