Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zultan cymbals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zultan cymbals

Hi folks, Browsing through the Thomann website and came across Zultan cymbals. I've been on YouTube and watched some videos of them. They sound very impressive for the price. http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir....cymbal&gk=&bn= Has anyone got any experience of any Zultan cymbals, in particular the Q or Z ranges? They seem amazing value considering they are hand hammered and b20. Cheers for any help with this. Kenny

Not used them myself, but the audio samples on Thomann do sound great... On the search for acoustic cymbals myself atm, pretty much set on Paiste PST8's though, they're worth a look/listen

Comment

I've listened to the paiste 8s and they sound pretty good but I still prefer the sound of the Zultan Q series. I really want to know what they sound like in the flesh. They seem like top quality cymbals for bargain price. Anybody else got experience of these?

Comment

In general, the 'problem' with 'mainly handmade' cymbals is their spread both in sound- and build-quality. Therefore, if you find a cymbal from a certain company that is 'mainly handmade' and sounds good to your ears, this doesn't automatically speak for other cymbals of the same type of the same series, without giving them a listen first!

I know cymbal-makers (the guys with the hammer) of brands that are working very hard to make handmade cymbals sound nearly the same. They do this via comparison with a prototype cymbal that sounds best and is their acoustic reference. Paiste, for example, is said to have kind of a 'Vault' - a whole room full of these prototypical 'Master Cymbals'!

So if they have ie. a 20" Medium Ride that sounds fantastic, they'll keep that 'Master Cymbal' as a reference for all other 20" Medium Rides. The hammering-guy has it beside him during the hammering process, and does as much A-B comparisions as necessary. If the new made cymbal does not match the reference close enough, the new cymbal is unlikely to be given to the shops.

This is one step to achieve handmade, reliable cymbal-sounds. Another would be strict Quality Control through all steps of the cymbal-making process. It's a cost-intensive, and time-consuming process, and not all companies (even *if* they offer handmade cymbals) do not work this way.

If you find a fantastic sounding Zultan cymbal, buy it!
        But notice: it is impossible to jugde a company on one cymbal only! Not only because of individual sound preferences, but handmade cymbals will sound very different, with variances from 'awesome' to 'complete turd' even within the same series! That's what makes the professional guys expensive: They can drastically minimise tolerances through very good, detailed QC, while at the lower end of the price-scale, more 'not-so-great' cymbals will tend to slip!

Now, how I would like to be locked in inside that darn 'Vault', for a day or two....

HTH
        Last edited by hairmetal-81; 12-23-13, 04:25 PM.
        Greetings from Switzerland,
        - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Yeh that Vault would be a drummers paradise! I realise that there may perhaps be a lack of consistency in the sound and quality control Dept's (if any) of the small cymbal makers. However, I've played some higher end Zildjian and Sabians that were just awful cymbals in my humble opinion, thankfully none of them were mine lol. At this price, it might just be worth a punt as these aren't stocked anywhere in the UK for us to try out. Anyone else have any experience of these?

Comment

Bump...

Comment

I was thinking about these the other day (before I decided to jump on the deal I got on a set of Sabian XS20's) and I thought that it might be the case with these that they break easily, as Wuhans and other similar cymbals do. Because these are so cheap, I'm going to reckon the Alloy is cheap too, so it will still sound decent, but probably won't be very durable. Just a theory though.

Comment

In case you'd like to read a little about the different alloys (CuSn20, CuSn8, and whatnot), here's a nice article from 'Modern Drummer' magazine. It doesn't feature Zultan especially, but all the 'big guns' are there (Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian Meinl). Makes for an interesting read!

http://www.moderndrummer.com/site/20.../#.UtsRLvswdH0

- Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Thanks for the link hair metal....an interesting read!

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post
                    In case you'd like to read a little about the different alloys (CuSn20, CuSn8, and whatnot), here's a nice article from 'Modern Drummer' magazine. It doesn't feature Zultan especially, but all the 'big guns' are there (Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian Meinl). Makes for an interesting read!

http://www.moderndrummer.com/site/20.../#.UtsRLvswdH0

I bought a cheap Imperialstar set for an electronic conversion, and it came with entry level Meinl cymbals. According to the article, I guess they were BRASS as they sounded horrendous. Although I was able to easily sell them on eBay thankfully.

I also thought the Zildjian 'sheet metal' cymbals were stamped, but I guess not! Interesting point.

I wonder what the Gen16 cymbals are made of, and wonder HOW they are made?

Yamaha DTX-502 / (3) PCY155 Cymbals / HH65 HH Pedal
                    Roland KD-9 Kick / DIY Snare (1 zone with DTX...)

Comment

The new ones are Bronze, and the original series is guessed to be Nickel (maybe that's 'Nickel-Silver alloy, dunno...)

I could imagine that the hole-pattern are laser cut-outs, akin to the newly introduced 10" EFX cymbal.
                      You may want to ask Julia for the exact details.

HTH
                      - Dänoh

Comment

There are only a few cymbals lines that I will buy prior to hearing. Paiste probably has the best reputation of sound uniformity. If you buy an 18" 2002 it will always sound like an 18" 2002 regardless if you buy it new or used. I have seen a ton of variation in Zildjian and Sabian - more so Zildjian. I have seen some Zildjian pies that sound heavenly to find the same make/model that sounded like a man hole cover. My thoughts on cymbals is that if you hit it and like the sounds go for it. Just be careful when buying used online because it may not sound like the one you heard in the store with the exception of Paiste. That is one of the reasons I play Paiste because I buy all of my stuff used.

Comment

Thanks everyone for chipping in. I'm holding off just now as I'm embarking on another edrum project. However if anyone gets a hold of a Zultan please tell us all about it. Thanks Kenny

Comment

Just wondering if anyone has played these still?

They are terrific value for money and sound excellent for the price.

Comment

Working...
                            X