Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paiste PST5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paiste PST5

For christmas this year, I'm thinking of asking santa for some acoustic cymbals, purely to make gigging easier (I don't want to be always relying on my parents for getting me about all the time), and was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have any experience with the Paiste PST5 cymbals? They seem great for the price, and I've read a lot of good reviews of them. I like how they sound on the clips I downloaded from the Paiste website and on youtube videos as well.

Haven't had a chance to try them in person yet, don't know any local shops that carry them.

Also, I know I'll probably be told to get used pro cymbals, but I'm not too keen on buying them used, and a set of hi hats, ride and 2 crashes used ends up coming to more than the set I intend to get.

This is the set I intend to ask for btw:
    http://www.gak.co.uk/en/paiste-pst-5...8in-crash/5031

Seraph,
    I seem to rememer a certain 'verdict' from the paiste-only forum (...that's the place, where all the Paiste nut jobs gurus hang out!)

"The PST-8 is a fantastic value! Think of the alloy of 2002-series cymbals with the added brilliant-finish of the Signature-Reflector-series at an Alpha-series price!"

"The PST-8 will be all the gigging drummer will ever need"

This is not word-for-word, but I will try to dig up the exact phrases. I can somewhat remember them because these are very strong, clear words! And coming from Paiste-cracks on a Paiste-forum, I have no reason not to believe this.

What I wanted to say in the first place:
    I don't dismiss the PST-5 series (absolutely not!), I just haven't paid much attention to their hats, ride, and crash, the 'core components'!

For me, I consider the 5-ers more as 'addendum' cymbals, added effects, add-on colors only! I would gladly play PST-5 effect-cymbals. The Mini China in particular is the real gem, here! Not too many Mini Chinas in Paiste's lineup...

Back to the 'core components' once more:
    Ditch the PST-5 for those 'core components' IMO. Instead, stay within the PST Line, but go 'one up' (...I know, I know, the money...) The PST-8's are awesome value! Get some hats, ride and two crashes and there won't be any 'better' cymbals you will feel the need to gig with! The 8's are exeptional for the casual drummer and the one that slaughts it out night after night in shady clubs. ^^

HTH

PS:
    Any Swiss drummer (are people from Switzerland in here?), that isn't a true Paiste-lover, is a country-traitor!

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to poke JoJo with a stick made out of Sabian's alloy!!!
    Last edited by hairmetal-81; 11-30-13, 08:03 PM.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

I had a whole set of PST5s and thought they were a great value. As HTH pointed out, the effects cymbals were real stand outs. The 18" china was one of the best decay's I have heard in a china. In general, the cymbals are on the brighter side (and I usually prefer darker cymbals), the crash is fairly average, the hats were very crisp but devoid of any special character although I really liked the chick sound, the 20" medium ride was sub par for me though, it had lots of ping and very little wash and the bell was meh - this cymbal actually was a great crash , but the 8" splash and 18" china were especially nice, I many positive comments on both of those cymbals from several different drummers.
      Oops, I did it (again ;) )

Comment

Thanks, and I have though about saving up some more, which would push me into the PST8 or maybe Sabian XS20 range, or maybe second hand ones as well. I want something that is durable and good value for money. Aesthetics aren't as important, but, certainly from youtube videos, Paiste stuff seems to sound great to me, just a certain sound which I can't describe, certainly noticeable in the crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by SilentSeraphTwo View Post
          certainly from youtube videos, Paiste stuff seems to sound great to me, just a certain sound which I can't describe, certainly noticeable in the crashes.
          Yes, absolutely!
          Paiste's have that certain 'shimmer' in their sound that makes even cymbals from different series seem to blend so well with eachother - it's that quality that really makes Paiste cymbals so desirable!

Thanks, and I have though about saving up some more, (...) maybe second hand ones as well. I want something that is durable and good value for money.
          That is or will be the problem with used Paistes: What will you want to go for, that matches the near unbeatable 'value for money' dimension of the PSTs?

Used Alpha's?
          Meh, they are not in the same league as the PST-8's, save for the 'Cheese Crash' effect-cymbal, which is awesome, but rather too new to be found used.

Used 2002?
          Wouldn't be a bad second-hand choice, but you are clearly not in the 'intermediate' category anymore here! This is already were the big boys play! The professional stuff!

Used Line-Series?
          There's a few to be had. Again, professional stuff - they are maybe 50% off from new, but still quite pricey! With the introduction of the 'Signature Precision' series, and the subsequent discontinuation of the old 'Signature' (or 'Line Series', if you prefer) cymbals, these would be quite a nice option!

I assume you will want to look at thicker models (for metal, anyway), so let's say:

- 17" to 19" Power Crashes,
          - a 14" Heavy Hihat - (or a 14" Sound Edge...)
          - a 18" Heavy China - (that's if you need one)

and for the Ride cymbal, a personal-collection favorite of mine:

- a 20" Dry Heavy Ride (!!!) The bell on this bugger can cut through Railroad tracks!

There were 21" and 22" variants as well...

EDIT:
          I just saw there was a whole lot more discontinued models, squarely aimed at Rock- and Metal-players:
          Power Hihats in 15", Power Crashes in 20" and 22" (!!!) and even a 'Mega Power Bell' Ride ...as if the bell on a Dry Heavy wasn't already vicious enough! Would love to hear that sucker!

My secret source:
          http://www.paiste-only.com/paistewik...itle=Signature

HTH
          Last edited by hairmetal-81; 11-30-13, 09:04 PM.

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

I'm not sure if you are in the US or not, but check out the Paiste 2002s on the Guitar Center used gear site. I see a 22" heavy ride for $199, and a 17" crash for $129. If you have a GC near you, you can return them if you don't like them or if there is an issue.
            Edrums- KD-120, PD-125 (3), PD-105 (3), Yamaha PCY155, PCY-135 (4)
            Module - Roland TD20X
            Software - Pro Tools and Toontrack Superior

Comment

Originally posted by JrummerJ View Post
              I'm not sure if you are in the US or not, but check out the Paiste 2002s on the Guitar Center used gear site. I see a 22" heavy ride for $199, and a 17" crash for $129. If you have a GC near you, you can return them if you don't like them or if there is an issue.

Comment

Well, I know that Anderton's Musicstore in the UK has a 'Used-Gear' section on their website, but I think it is lackluster in the drum-department, except if you need a good deal on Gibraltar clamps...

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by hairmetal-81 View Post
                  Well, I know that Anderton's Musicstore in the UK has a 'Used-Gear' section on their website, but I think it is lackluster in the drum-department, except if you need a good deal on Gibraltar clamps...

HTH

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

"needs must" is just an expression it means "you gotta do what you gotta do", or something to that effect. And it is a 14" hats, 16&18" crashes and a 20" ride, no bag, but they aren't too pricey...

Comment

Thanks! - Something else that I've learned!

And hey... - if you can scrape the cash together for the PST8's , the bag won't be the problem, I guess!

Comment

No problem! And I think the hardest thing about making my decision is being able to try out cymbals in the local area, but also thinking realistically: any acoustic cymbals I get will probably be used less than once a week, which is why I'm loathe to spend too much.

That said, I think I am set on the PST5's, mainly due to the fact I wouldn'y use the cymbals all too much, and he fact that the PST5's are well regarded, sound good, and are a great price. Oh, and I may just be able to get that cymbal case with the money saved with PST5's! ;D

Also, the PST8's are more than I can afford. Oh the joys of being a teenager in an economic downturn! (Seriously, even part time or weekend jobs are impossible to find in my area!)

Comment

Working...
                              X