Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Mic Kit for 2013?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Mic Kit for 2013?

So, all you A kit players out there, what's the best bang for my buck, mic kit wise? I need a full set of mics for 6 piece A kit, including stands and two overheads. I see the Audix brand doing well and has some decent priced kits, and I'm also a fan of Shure. What's everyone using these days? I also saw a Hosa brand sub-snake on sale for arounf $80 that will work nicely I'm sure.

K ;-)
    My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

May I, Ken?

Cross-brand mic kit!

[Bassdrum] AKG D-12 VR:
    The successor to the regular D-112 (the one shaped like an egg!) Now it has a black finish, and built-in filter with three presets. It can be used with or without phantom power.

[Snare] Audix i-5:
    Think of the characteristics of a Shure SM-57, although with a much better build-quality and professionalism.

[Toms] Sennheiser Evolution e604:
    A bit older already, but still a benchmark IMO. They are compact in size, have good adjustments, and a very nice clamping mechanism.

[Overhead] DPA 4090
    DPA's (ex-'Bruel & Kjaer') more affordable ones, I think. They are an omni-pattern condenser, so they'll cover the whole room.

OR

[Overhead] AKG C-414 XL
    A large diaphragm studio-condenser, with switchable patterns. An long-running, well established classic, now in updated form. If 'bright' is what you want with overheads, these have almost 'built-in aural exciter'-quality top-end. Works well for acoustic guitar and vocals, too!

OR

[Overheads] Neumann KM-184:
    A small-diaphragm condenser, and a good one ..... if you've got the money!

HTH
    Last edited by hairmetal-81; 11-22-13, 09:46 PM.
    Greetings from Switzerland,
    - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Even while in school for audio engineering and any gig I've done, I've used Shure SM57s on every tom and snare since forever and I love them. They are so versatile. I used the Shure kick drum mic that's a studio standard also. You might want to consider using a kick drum mic on a floor tom that's larger than a 16" tom to produce rich low end frequencies. The most expensive options will be for overhead mics. These tend to be expensive for nice ones. Any of the ones mentioned above would be great.
      - EKIT: Jobeky Drums: Custom 5 piece "Lacewood fade" & Hart 13" Pro Chrome snare. ROLAND MG V-CYMBALS
      - AKIT: PDP Concept Maple by DW. Zildjian K & A Custom cymbals. Hybrid acoustic mic'd / 2Box triggered kit

MY YOU TUBE DRUM COVER CHANNEL: www.youtube.com/gregthegroove

Comment

Are you on a budget?

If so, MF is having a sale on a 7-piece set of mics and there was a thread about them in here not so long ago.
        http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...7-piece?pfm=sp

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ac...ap-budget-mics

DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
        Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Great suggestions so far guys. I have to add up the cost of a multi brand kit. My budget is less than $1000, rather keep it closer to $500. So far the Audix kits seem to be the all in one solutions including cases, clips, stands, etc. Anyone have any bad experiences with them?

K ;-)

Comment

Check out this Shure package complete even with overhead mic stands and cables. Kinda cool, good price too for a package. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...package?pfm=sp
            - EKIT: Jobeky Drums: Custom 5 piece "Lacewood fade" & Hart 13" Pro Chrome snare. ROLAND MG V-CYMBALS
            - AKIT: PDP Concept Maple by DW. Zildjian K & A Custom cymbals. Hybrid acoustic mic'd / 2Box triggered kit

Comment

Not sure of your needs - recording, live performance, etc, but on the Audix website, Mike Synder does a great demo with just a kick, snare and two overhead mics. Given his results, I wonder if we really need these big seven-piece rigs?
              . digitalDrummer
              Review index

Comment

• Greg The Groove
                Greg The Groove commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea I've seen videos on YouTube of AMAZING results even using just one mic right in the middle of the kit above the toms. I'm sure for recording albums in studios I'd have the whole shebang. Live, you might very well be able to get away with kick, snare and OH mics. Great point indeed!

Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
              Not sure of your needs - recording, live performance, etc, but on the Audix website, Mike Synder does a great demo with just a kick, snare and two overhead mics. Given his results, I wonder if we really need these big seven-piece rigs?
              That's a very justified question....
              - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

I found this video really useful as the drummer speaks about several OH micing techniques as well as kick and snare micing techniques and why you do them to achieve the different sounds. Cool thing is, I was very familiar with most as this is exactly how we were taught in school to mic the drum kit in studio and live situations

Comment

Greg, you're a mind-reader. That's exactly the video I had in mind - he achieves some very impressive stuff with four "inexpensive" mics.
                . digitalDrummer
                Review index

Comment

• Greg The Groove
                  Greg The Groove commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea that was pretty amazing stuff there.

....and then, there is of course:

The famous 'Glyn Johns miking technique', using 3 Neumann U67 (...and Bonham's magic!)
                http://therecordingrevolution.com/20...ording-method/
                - Dänoh

Comment

Kenster, If you wait awhile you will probably win a set the way things are going for you! LOL
                  "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Well..haven't been able to find any contests to win a mic kit...yet! FYI, the mic kit is for playing live, not necessarily recording.

What do you guys think of the CAD brand?

K ;-)

Comment

For 'budget mics' they seem nice.

That said: I've read 'Best' and 'Current' (2013), and was under the impression you'd like to search for "The Best Microphones available Today" ....something like that!
                    - Dänoh

Comment

• hairmetal-81
                      hairmetal-81 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And lo and behold, my posts are going through....

This has become something like watching a Roulette ball.... :-/

The cheap Audio Technica mics are much better than CAD mics, especially the 2021 condenser. I would strongly suggest getting a good kick mic like an Audix D6 or Shure beta 52. Then add a 57 or audix I5. next you could add tom mics if needed.

I rarely bring anything other than a kick mic. If the venues are big enough for full micing, they usually already have them. What type of gigs are you doing? Do you bring your own PA?

Vocal mics will pick up a lot of drum bleed. I have only needed an overhead at outdoor festivals or large venues.

I always say to people, nobody tells me at the end of the gig that they wished it was louder!

Peter

Comment

Working...
                    X