Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which acoustic hi-hat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which acoustic hi-hat?

I am considering getting an acoustic hat to go together with my v drums. The reason is that I don't feel like the rubber ones feel realistic enough to play. I have tried a variety of things, the vh-11 (in a shop) cy-5 and cy-8, with both fd8 and fd7, and I am currently operating with a cy-12r/c mounted on a combined hihat stand and fd7, I followed the how to from stealthdrums.com and this is, to my opinion, the most realistic of the various setups available (excluding the ones out of my price range) So my question is: Does anybody know of an acoustic hihat with as little output as possible? Also I hope to get a bright sounding one, but I guess that follows automatically. I have been checking out various forums and one hat that gets mentioned several times is the 13" zildjian new beat, I do actually have the possibility to obtain either that one or a 13" zildjian zbt at a nice price, only problem is that it's too far away for me to try them out, and it's two different sellers, so I can't really get a comparison. Does anybody have any experience with one of these hats or another one that would work out for me? Hopefully within a reasonable price (the used new beat would be 150$ and the zbt 75$) Thank you.
    Last edited by BarT; 11-14-13, 04:42 PM. Reason: Tittle speeling

I think I'd take the Newbeat's, if it only came down to these two choices.
    (Aren't the zbt's rather 'entry-level'?)

Low noise-output and rather bright sounding acoustic hat?
    There is one Zildjian-offering that begs to be mentioned!

Zilidjian Gen16 AE 13" hi-hats:

If you could stretch your budget to maybe 200-ish bucks, my ultimate suggestion would be this!

HTH
    Last edited by hairmetal-81; 11-14-13, 07:57 AM.
    Greetings from Switzerland,
    - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Thank you for the input, but that's some expensive stuff if you have to get the gen16 brain box also, and you do have to have that, right?? Or where you thinking about just using it with a regular mic, is that possible? I've seen them in a few videos and considered them at a point where money was less of an issue, but I was put of because I read somewhere that they where rather funny pitched... Do have one or have experience with one? Yeah the zbt's are entry level but the main thing is to get something quiet and I read that they where exactly that. I have some ufip hats and they are extremely loud...

Comment

Yes, primarily I was thinking of using them just acoustically, I believe we have a member or two who do this successfully.

You can mic 'em, if you need additional volume. Some will not like to hear this, but to me, that DSP-box is not much more than a 'glorified filter'.

Try them acoustically somewhere and see if you like them! Cymbals are very personal, and there is simply no substitute to hear them with your own pair of ears!

HTH
        - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

Thanks, I will try and find a place to try them out

Comment

Awesome....!
            - Dänoh

Comment

I take back what I said!
              Last edited by allanjohn; 11-14-13, 04:58 PM. Reason: misread OP
              . digitalDrummer
              Review index

Comment

Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
                I take back what I said!
                Huh? What's that?

Comment

Paiste dark crisp hi hats are great sounding and the quietest I have found. New Beats would be louder. Any hi hat with a thinner top will be quieter.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
                    Paiste dark crisp hi hats are great sounding and the quietest I have found. New Beats would be louder. Any hi hat with a thinner top will be quieter.
                    Yes, that's a mighty fine suggestion. The 14"Dark Crisp's were still a tad too loud for my personal taste, though, but I reckon OP wants 13" inch ones anyway.

Maybe the use of Cym-pads can quieten the volume of the hats even further!
                    OP, you may want to look at them, too:
                    http://www.cympad.com/

HTH
                    - Dänoh

Comment

Thanks, I will check out that paiste What I'm hoping to get is a natural feeling and the possibility to mic and record the hihat together with the rest if my kit when recording ideas in my home studio, with a low volume. So I hope to get a good sound but I don't need perfect since it's "just for the idea bank"... I will be re-recording everything. I am playing a hybrid of German drum-tec drums and Roland cymbals, routed through a TD-3 and a TMC-6 into logic and Superior Drummer... Here's a pic of the kit
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Nice! I'm liking Drumtec's offerings more and more.... Even the 'simpler' black finish just really Classy!

Very appealing picture!
                        - Dänoh

Comment

I can only recommend them I have a 10" and a 12" diabolo for toms, diabolo is their cheap line, and a 14" pro snare. I'm hoping to get a 14" pro floor tom and a Roland module that supports positional sensing.. Someday

Comment

Zildjian A-customs hi-hats can be had used for a steal. They are a nice bright hi-hat, but I don't think of them as being particularly low volume. Low volume hi-hats tend to be thinner, and also more expensive (Sabian Manhattan).

Comment

Working...
                            X