Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Weird, Wild Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Weird, Wild Kit

I just reorganized my kit today. I tried a few tips taken from Mr. Billy Ward, tried someof the things I saw him do on the MD 2000 video. I know, I know, they say it's not a good idea to set up your stuff like someone else, but hey, if it works, what the heck?

This whole mess is mounted on a Gibraltar rack. I think the number is 350-GC. Curved frontbar, two wings. Everything is attached to this rack. EVERYTHING. Snare, kick, hats, the whole nine yards. I did this primarily for memory purposes, so I don't have to sit there and fiddle with this pedal or that drum when I'm setting up. Everyting is clamped and memory-locked. Just turn the nuts, clamp the bars, and with the help of a few football players, I could lift the entire kit en masse onto the stage.

Kick: A 16x22 Tama that I had retrofitted with a Yammie tom mount. Not only does this let me put the Yammie toms on it, but I was also able to put a 5/8" tom bar through the mount and attach it to the rack w/ a multi-clamp. It's not really suspended per se, since it still rests on the floor. But I did manage to draw the legs up. I might drop them again though, just for another anchor point for the force to go. I'm not sure I want that much force being put through the clamp and bottom.

Hats: Regular Gibraltar hat stand. Attached it to the rack with a spare rack bar and clamp from my Roland Rack, the clamp half of a Gibraltar cymbal Grabber arm, and a miscellaneous Sound Percussion clamp I've been using for various things over the years.

Snare: 5x14 Tama mounted on a CB snare basket. Attached to the rack w/ a multiclamp and just stuck the arm near the bottom. This leaves a lot more room for the drive shaft of my double pedal.

Toms: Here's where it gets really weird. I have three toms, all Yammie Beech Absolutes. I had my floor tom(12x14, also attached to the rack) in a pretty standard floor tom position. By my right leg, a litttle forward from the throne. Well, when I tried to do really fast tom runs and fills between them, I'd run into the edge of my ride cymbal, or I had to crank my arm way back at the shoulder. So I took it off and re-attached it to the front bar next to the other two. Now it kind of looks like I have three rack toms and no floor tom. But it feels a lot more comfortable.

Cymbals: Wow. Okay. On the tops of both vertical bars of the rack, there are cymbal arms. not too unusual. Where the right crash would be (as your sitting at the throne), I replaced it with my ride cymbal(Zildjian A 20" Ping Ride). I took the left crash and cranked it way out to the left, and I'm sticking my right crash in between the two. There's enough swing room for all of them, but I might want to adjust that more b/c I like to switch cymbals for different projects.

Well, that's my kit. Pluses: Complete memory retention in the hardware. Better arm positioning in the toms and cymbals. One less arm to pack since I moved the floor tom. Unique look.

Now my concerns:
    -Ride cymbal: I do worry slightly about the cymbal arm being able to support that much weight. a Ping Ride isn't THAT heavy, but it's a somewhat awkward position in terms of hardware. I don't think it will be too much of a problem, though, since the last place I had it was in the cymbal arm half of the same Gibraltar grabber arm, in a multiclamp, and I've never hand problems with it.
    -Visibility. My cymbals now form this wall of metal on top of my kit. It's a lot more versatile and comfortable than mylast configuration, but I'm worried that I won't be able to see anyone! I know, if the drummer is uncomfortable, it throws off his groove, but how worth it is it if no one can make eye contact with you unless they're standing on top of you?

Thanks for reading. Give me your feedback, I'd like to hear some second opinions. Thanks.

-Jaay

Re: My Weird, Wild Kit

Originally posted by Jaay
    I Now my concerns:
    -Ride cymbal: ...
    -Visibility. ...
    None of use are truely original - we all copy or borrow ideas from others, and then adapt them to our style and preference. Sounds like you have a great arrangement. Back when I played acoutics, I would rearrage them every so often just to spice things up and get out of a rut.

Gibraltar components are the best. I have 3 clamps on my VPro rack for some heavy crash cymbals, and have never had a problem. Worry not Jaay.

As far as visability - well that's one of the downfalls of having a lot of equipment. Just learn to live with it. And when you do down size so people can see you, they will stick you in the corner out of sight (ugly set syndrom), or the @#%@#! guitarist and vocalistist will provide you with a butt filter view all night long. It is most always a Lose/Lose situation for the drummer (heard but not seen).

Now I have recently found a way around this, and that is to play my Zendrum for several songs. Gets me out front (too cool), the audiance loves it, and then they tend to pay more attention when I'm back on my throne.
    Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

Comment

Hi bjb5150.

You took the words right out of my mouth! I was reading his post and thought the same thing. Mirrors are great, so long as they don't play havoc on the monitor/PA system. I've always used a pretty sprawling cymbal rig, so I know first hand how isolating it feels to be behind them. Short of a periscope, a small mirror does wonders. I wonder if anyone's ever attached a closed circuit monitor to their kit

Regards,
      Brian

Comment

Hey folks. Thanks for commenting. I've been using the configuration for a while now and it turns out the visibility issue isn't as big a problem as I thought. My cymbals aren't angled very far, so the "wall of metal" isn't a big encumberance. Good tips all; I'll keep these in mind for my next percussive incarnation. Groove on.

-Jaay

Comment

Working...
        X