Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended mics for acoustics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended mics for acoustics

I use my v's about 75% of the time on gigs. The other 25% I'm using acoustics and I just can't stand the sound so I'm thinking of using a set of mics to enhance and to give me more volume live. What mics do you guys suggest? I saw a set of Audix Fusion 6 mics on ebay for around $300, anybody know there mics?

I already own 3 SM 57's, what about a good Bass mic and 2 overheads? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

I use two Marshall MXL 603's for overhead. They're great cymbal mics (live venue) for the money.

Comment

BASS DRUM MIC

First choice: AKG D112
      Less expensive alternative: Shure Beta 52
      Cheap but still good: Shure PG 52

OVERHEAD MIC

First choice: Earthworks
      Less expensive alternative: Shure SM 81
      Cheap but still good: Behringer ECM 8000

Before anyone goes rolling their eyes at the mention of a Behringer mic, try doing a search on the Harmony Central forums for it. Some of the biggest Behringer bashers I've ever seen are on there, and even they admit it's a good mic. I own two ECM 8000s myself, they do a great job, and at $40.00 apiece new (no kidding), you're not going to find a comparable condenser mic anywhere near the price.

Just for the record, you could come away with a Shure PG 52 and two ECM 8000s for right at $200.00 even. Not too shabby......
      TD-30 / SPD-SX /Alesis Strike Multipad

Comment

Originally posted by skeelsd
        I use two Marshall MXL 603's for overhead. They're great cymbal mics (live venue) for the money.
        Question? What is the difference between a large diaphram condenser i.e. the Marshall MXL 2001 and the small diaphram mic MXL 603S? Musicians Friend has a 2 mic package for $156.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Wade
          BASS DRUM MIC

OVERHEAD MIC

Cheap but still good: Behringer ECM 8000

Before anyone goes rolling their eyes at the mention of a Behringer mic, try doing a search on the Harmony Central forums for it. Some of the biggest Behringer bashers I've ever seen are on there, and even they admit it's a good mic. I own two ECM 8000s myself, they do a great job, and at $40.00 apiece new (no kidding), you're not going to find a comparable condenser mic anywhere near the price.
          Hi Mick,

Went to my local retail establishment and nobody has the ECM 8000's they said on Musicians Friend's web site that the mics are not available until 10/12. Are these new? How long have you had yours? At $39.99 each seems awful cheap to be of any quality, but right with my budget!

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Hey, Mike:

The ECM 8000s have been around for a while; I've had mine for about 3 weeks now. I'm not surprised the Musician's Friend doesn't currently have them in stock as the word seems to be getting out about them. I agree that at $40.00 this seems like one of those "too-good-to-be-true" deals, but keep in mind that the price on these went down from $80.00 a pop when Behringer did their most recent product-wide price reduction. Look at it like this: buy just one and if it turns out to be, in your opinion, a dud, then you've only spent $40.00 and not a lot more.

Other online retailers are selling the ECM 8000s for the same price, so check around if you don't mind buying from someone besides Musician's Friend. Besides, that "Available 10-12" notice is something I'd take with a grain of salt. In fact, MF is currently in my doghouse because of the backorder status of the M-Audio BX-8B Studiophile active monitors I ordered from them. I intended to order them on 10-8, but the website said "Available 10-9". I checked back on 10-9, and the availability date had been bumped up a day. I checked back again on 10-10 and the date had not changed, so I went ahead and placed my order, after which I received an e-mail from them stating, among other things, that I would be notified if the product was on backorder. I checked back again the next day to get my tracking number, only to find that there was none and that the product availability date was now 10-20. I also received no e-mail, so I called MF and got this explanation: "Oh yeah, that product is on backorder."

How about just putting that on the website and saving everyone a little trouble? Oh well. At least it's not 11-20, I guess. Sorry, I'm kind of grumpy about Musician's Friend right now.......

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Mick
            Last edited by Mick Wade; 10-13-02, 04:52 AM.
            TD-30 / SPD-SX /Alesis Strike Multipad

Comment

Working...
            X