Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally got an acoustic kit - reducing volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got an acoustic kit - reducing volume

Well after a 12 hiatus from Acoustics i've finally got myself a Ludwig Custom Elite. Really enjoying it so far but after coming from a TD-20, I feel it's just so loud !! This is a good thing for me, but not for my neighbours.

I've been looking into ways of taking a bit of volume of kit until I can soundproof my room. I noticed this product from Remo.

http://www.activemusician.com/item--MC.MF101400

It seems to be a good alternative to going full mesh heads which isn't really much point since I have a TD-20.

Has anyone tried these or know if they'd be any good to reduce the sound of the toms and particularly the snare, but not kill it completely?

Thanks

That site has the wrong description for the product in the title and photo.

Remo make two different versions of "Muff'l":

Muff'l (ring control) (as in the title and photo)

Muff'l (sound control) (as in the description)

The ring version would hardly reduce volume at all as it's intended for tone control.

I haven't used the sound discs, but they may reduce volume as that's their intended use.

Bruce

Comment

Just checked out the Remo site.

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/...uffl_ring.html

I would have thought these would muffle the sound somewhat since they have a rubber strip all the way around, different to normal "o" ring plastic?

Comment

Other possible options to consider are using rutes or Vic Firth Tala wands instead of sticks. These options can help cut back on the volume some. While preserving the nice aspects of (unmuffled) acoustic drums and cymbals.

As another aside, I think I remember Cindy Blackman indicating that she practices in her apartment using sticks and trying to play quietly so that it sounds to her neighbors like she is just playing her stereo system. It challenges ones ability to control the sticks very carefully.

Steve
        Roland TD-12, 4-piece kit (very downsized) setup
        http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...0&d=1180324146
        Gretsch New Classic, Yamaha & Ludwig snares
        Agop SE, Vintage A Zildjian, K, K Custom Dark, Sabian HHX Legacy
        DW Hardware

Comment

I have these:

http://www.hqpercussion.com/Tom_Snar...?ActiveID=1068

They cut down the volume but they don't give you the same response as actual drumheads. I like them better than harder rubber discs, though.

Comment

I think the difficulty I find is for those that have both acoustic and electronic drums ... most of the acoustic muffling solutions that I've seen are either not that effective for me (kill the sound while not decreasing the volume enough) or they do too much by basically converting the acoustic drum to a practice pad set.

My son has older remo mufflers on his set with foam rings on the top and bottom. With sticks, the drums are still pretty loud, and the sound quality is totally killed.

As such, we find the Tala wands (birch dowel version) to be a pretty good way of cutting volume by 40-60% (subjectively) while preserving the tone quality better.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...m_medium=feed&

Playing with snares off also helps. Taking the foam in and out from inside the drum can be a bit of a pain.

Steve
            Roland TD-12, 4-piece kit (very downsized) setup
            http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...0&d=1180324146
            Gretsch New Classic, Yamaha & Ludwig snares
            Agop SE, Vintage A Zildjian, K, K Custom Dark, Sabian HHX Legacy
            DW Hardware

Comment

Putting any sort of ring on the heads won't really help reduce the volume much. Unless you want to go with mesh heads or something that covers the whole head (which both sort of defeat the purpose of having acoustic drums), you have two primary options:

1) Use light sticks. Hot Rods, brushes, etc. All sorts of dowels or plastic brushes/sticks/mallets are available which allow lower volume playing.

2) Filling your drums. Put towels, pillows, and basically anything soft inside your drums. This is most effective because the more you fill up the drums, the less the air moves inside them. Less air = less amplitude.

Alternately, you can soundproof your room, but that's going to cost thousands of dollars more.

Comment

Thanks for all of the tips everyone. I've got a set of Hot Rods but found them still a little loud. The Tala Wands might be a little better. I'll give them a go.

The ultimate is goal is to sound proof the room at some point

Comment

Originally posted by bruarm View Post
                  I have these:

http://www.hqpercussion.com/Tom_Snar...?ActiveID=1068

They cut down the volume but they don't give you the same response as actual drumheads. I like them better than harder rubber discs, though.
                  I have a different brand, but the same exact thing. They really work well, especially on the cymbals.

Two things:

1 - the snare will never be quiet with the snares on.

2 - Even if the kit is quieted down, the bass frequency from the kick drum and floor toms are still going to be a lot and will travel through walls with ease.

The kick and snare (if you leave the snares on) will be the hardest parts to mute.
                  Roland TD-3KW plus CY-9
                  5pc Tama Superstar EFX Hyperdrive, Sabian XS20 Cymbals

Comment

I use packing peanuts in my snare drum live so that I can play in smaller settings while triggering my snare. Makes me a very appealing drummer when our sound guy has a volume knob on my snare drum. Then I put some Gaffords tape under my cymbals to tone them down a bit and i'm set.

Basically what this does is decrease the area inside the drum for air to travel through. I suggest trial and error on exactly how much packing material you want to use. For instance, I don't fill my snare up all the way so I can still get part of the acoustic sound through the microphone. The rest gets mixed in from my sound module.

Comment

Originally posted by Jdangerously View Post
                      Then I put some Gaffords tape under my cymbals to tone them down a bit and i'm set.
                      From Mr. Gafford the gaffer?

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                        From Mr. Gafford the gaffer?

Bruce
                        LMFAO classic...

i find Hot Rods very effective, you can get them in different dowel thicknesses.
                        you can also soundproof your room quite cheaply using thick drapes, packing foam, egg cartons etc

Videos

The Dust Revival Band

Spinifex Rose

Kristy Lewis and the Wretched

Wayfaring Strangers

Comment

Working...
                        X