Electric/Acoustic Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric/Acoustic Conversion

I recently stumbled upon an idea that I will soon put into practice and wanted your thoughts on the subject.

Many of us spen countless hours tweeking our E's to emulate as close as possible our acoustic kits for studio and live playing.

I found some settings on my TD8 that I absolutly love! In the band I am now playing with, I have gone back to A's after playing E's only for the past 2 years.

My quest is to try to emulate those sounds that I love in the TD8 in my acoustic drum set.

Has anyone tried this? Whether you have or have not, I woud like to hear your thoughts on this. I'm not trying to recreate classis "electronic percussion" sounds on an acoustic kit, that would be silly. My plan is to take the "acoustic" sounding samples that I have dialed in on the TD8 and recreate them on an acoustic set.

Let me know......
    V-Custom w Roland TD-8 and and Alesis DM5, DIY edrums

1. Since electronic drum sounds resemble a miked and sound processed acoustic drum kit the most, I would say you need some microphones, a mixer with good eq and some fx for it. Not?

2. In the 1980s Pearl had the Extender drums with oversized heads (just like the Tama Gong drums). These oversided drums gave a kind of long / electronic / sustained / wet sound.

Perhaps you can try this: put a 12 inch head on a 10 inch shell. You need to change the tension lug casings for it but putting them on rubber blocs (which enlarges the circle) will do the job
    Attached Files
    Robert

Comment

Getting used to the sounds of a Td will definitely make your perception of the A kit much more accurate, and will make you aware of the smallest difference in tuning.
      But I think Putt is right... the best thing about the E sounds are the settings you can make, and the only real way to get these on A drums is with a proper studio installation. Otherwise, you could try very unconventional methods like that bigger head thing, or even covering your heads with something, or the inside layer of wood etc ... but I dont guarantee any of it ... actually I don't even know what Im talking about.
      Nabil

Comment

Hears the answer

Or have the best of both worlds

Attached Files
        Last edited by Doug; 08-03-02, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Was A V-pro converted session clone USER..... for two years sold them on Ebay and did my conversion no false triggering from any drum using a Hart Pro snare (no hot spot) just solid triggering and the looks of acoustics.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Doug; 08-03-02, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the posts. Doug, I'm not looking to use vdrums live anymore, that was what I had done in the past. I'm just looking to recreate some of the sounds I heard in the module with acoustic drums. It looks like mics and some processors will help. Thanks again.
            V-Custom w Roland TD-8 and and Alesis DM5, DIY edrums

Comment

Working...
            X