Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Power V special

Hi all...
    I was just wondering... My A kit is a Yamaha Power V special, and it's the only A kit Ive ever owned. I had bought it for 2000 $ and that was 5 years ago (All instrument prices are usually higher in my country). I didn't even know how to play properly back then , and it was the only decent kit that shop had... I've always assumed my kit was kind of the "ancestor" of the stage custom. I felt really bad when that one came out one year later, and for 1500 $, same setup!!!
    Now that I'm really interested in the matter, I couldn't find any reliable info on Power V special... does anyone know anything about them ? are they any good ? Should I consider living in another country ?
    Thanx
    Nabil

International Mystery

Dude, I'd say you should e-mail Yamaha. I bought my old Yamaha A-kit in Japan, and there it was labled CX9000, but was the RTC in the U.S. Different labels for different markets.

Just like my old Datsun "280Z", which actually was a Fairlady Z in Japan, where I got it...
    -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

The Power V was Yamaha's first budget kit. It was made from 1991. Not much later the Premier APK was based on the succes of this budget kit. Power V and 9000 kits for the European market were even manufactured by Premier for a short period of time. (as we all know Yamaha was the owner of Premier in the 1990s)

The Power V drums had flush braced lugs, like many other budget kits (Pearl Export) in a time that mid and high-end drums started to return to single lugs and thin shells. I think the shells are made from red luan (mahogany) with some birch or basswood. But I am not sure.

In general such wood types (when used with pinstripe heads) provide a fat rock sound. The tuning range isn't as large as with high end maple or birch kits. But useful.

Later the Power V was succeeded by the Club Custom and Stage Custom
      Robert

Comment

Thanks Rob ! You are a very precious data bank. You've saved me twice so far.
        Nabil

Comment

I purchased a set of new Power Vs in 1992. I have been real happy with the set. I like the color which is red marble. The only thing I don't like about them is that the floor toms are mounted on a stand. I wish they had feet on them so you could just put them on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by bmc
            The only thing I don't like about them is that the floor toms are mounted on a stand. I wish they had feet on them so you could just put them on the floor.

Uhhhh....?

Drum manufacturers spent hundreds of dollars on the development of Resonance Isolating Systems and YOU want a tom tom with feet?

Okay, opinions may vary...
            Robert

Comment

I thought RIMS usually mounted on the lugs. This mounting system runs straight through the shell. The toms are just not very stable when you are playing them. They tend to move around some.

Comment

Originally posted by bmc
                The toms are just not very stable when you are playing them. They tend to move around some.
                Ah... I see ... that's the problem. The mounting Yamaha uses isn't stable enough. Then at least use this one for a floor tom

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by bmc
                  The only thing I don't like about them is that the floor toms are mounted on a stand.
                  How strange... my floor tom does have feet... is yours a 16" too ?
                  Anyway I requested info about PowerV's on the Yamaha Japan page, and they said the enquiry would take a few days... so if you're interested I could forward the info as soon as I get it .
                  Nabil

Comment

I have 14" and 15" toms.

Yes, I would be interested in any information they provide you.

Comment

Well that explains it then. If you want I could sell you the 16" inch someday (in another life maybe cause even If I make it to the US, the tom won't! ). Anyway It's nice to meet someone who owns my same kit. I thought those were extinct. I will give you all the information I get.
                      Nabil

Comment

So what color is your kit? It's been so long since I purchased mine I can't remember what the color choices were.

Comment

Mine's red marble too. I'll post a pic soon. But I never actually knew about the other colour choices. I'll probably get it from Yamaha though.
                          Nabil

Comment

Did you ever receive any information from Yamaha regarding your Power V kit?

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr
                              The Power V was Yamaha's first budget kit. It was made from 1991. [/i]
                              Not that it matters, but the Road Series made in the 80's was Yamaha's first budget set. At that time there was Recording, Tour, and Stage Series all made in Japan and the Road Series was made elsewhere. The Stage Series at that time was better than the current version, as the inside of the shells was beech. It was only after the big boom of budget sets did Yamaha start making the V Series in England with new drive towards the growing budget market.

Comment

Working...
                              X