Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My DIY custom flame wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My DIY custom flame wrap

A little while ago I bought a Gretsch Catalina Jazz kit for small bar gigs/easy transport and set up. It sounds suprisingly good. Very good. It was white aquamarine pearl, which I loved, but I decided I wanted to customize it.

I bought "Sparkle-Brite" from **** Blick art supplies. You can get it in 36" wide sheets as long as you want. It's about 12 bucks a yard. Pretty cheap for wrap. It looks EXACTLY like real sparkle drum wrap (I held it up to the real thing). It's a little thinner but it's still vinyl and has a sticky backing.

I baby my drums so I don't need the wrap ultra durable. I also decided I wanted it to be "less permanent." I left the backing on the base layer of green so it wouldn't stick to the original wrap. It's held on by the lugs and stuck to itself at the seam.

I came up with the design myself. It's a modified version of DW's tribal flames. I thought they were too tribal but their hot rod flames were too thin and repetative. I took both and interpolated to my own taste. I made stencils using file folders and cutting it out with an x-acto knife. I then cut the silver flame layer (for a shadow effect). I peeled off the backing and stuck it to the green sparkle base. After that I cut the red flames (slightly different to be offset from the silver. Stuck that over the silver and green.
    The Gretsch badge was too hard to get off and I didn't want to damage the original so I used tracing paper to locate it, then did a precise cut out in the wrap for the badge to come through.

Hope you like it!

I also designed the kick logo and printed it on 2 sheets of 11x17 paper. We set up at 6:30 am so the drums got covered in dew and the paper started to wrinkle lol! It looked pretty seamless before this gig!

Ps
    It was already on TV. This gig was a cancer walk at 7am at Six Flags, Georgia. The news had a little clip. They showed a close up of a little kid speaking and, right behind him were the sparkle flame drums demanding attention

Originally I wanted orange flames with a red shadow on green. Although **** Blick had swatches of orange (looked sweet) and it exists, you have to special order it in mass quantities making it way too costly. I was kind of stuck with their stock red, silver, gold, green or blue colors. If you look online there are a couple companies with tons of colors but they all require mass orders which makes them out of reach.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by thebaron; 09-11-08, 11:04 AM.

Easy Cheapo gig set:
    Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

sorry I think I double posted. deleted the 2nd
    Last edited by thebaron; 09-12-08, 11:26 AM.

Easy Cheapo gig set:
    Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

Comment

That's some cool work Baron. Great artistic skills on the wraps and your band logo... bummer about the wrinkles from the gig but it still looks cool.

Comment

Thanks! I'm much more comfortable with the artistic projects than the technical diy stuff. I see what everyone is building in here and am very impressed. I've attempted plenty of technical diy projects. Enough to really appreciate it and feel the accomplishment. But, for me, it often doesn't pan out as well as I'd hope or takes 3x the effort and cost to get it right.

Never say never but for the moment, I'm happy staying with the cosmetic side of diy's!

I need to do a post of a diy electronic multipad I did for a D4 back in 1991. It was rough and buggy but worked well ergonomically for a portable kit. Back then I think there was only 1 article on edrums anywhere on the internet for help It's beautiful how things have progressed!

Easy Cheapo gig set:

Comment

Awesome work, very cool looking drums, I love the colors and the location is the BOMB!!!
          A-kit:

E-kit:[B]

Comment

Great job! Looks like a set of Trick's, Spaun's, DW's, etc!
            Alan
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Very nice. I am jealous of your artistic skills.
              sigpic

Comment

Totally fun-looking kit. It screams to the audience, "Look at me! Look at me!"

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the pics.
                >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Good job! The kit looks awesome. How long did it take you to wrap the entire kit?

-SD-

Comment

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                    Very nice. I am jealous of your artistic skills.
                    I'm jealous of all you mechanical/electrical diy people!

Easy Cheapo gig set:

Comment

Originally posted by SiliconDrummer View Post
                      Good job! The kit looks awesome. How long did it take you to wrap the entire kit?

-SD-
                      Thanks. It probably took me 20 hours give or take. Getting the cutout to fit exactly around the badges was time consuming. Plus I had to cut the stencils then do a silver layer and a red layer. Maybe a little more once I add in putting all the lugs back on. Just one of those projects you have to enjoy or you'd go crazy.

Easy Cheapo gig set:

Comment

Fantastic job, your kit looks amazing. The flames are just the right size. Flames can make or break a custom look, your design is spot on.

Comment

Thanks zaxbak!

Easy Cheapo gig set:

Comment

You did a great job. Looks like a fun kit to play. Thanks for sharing with all of us !

Comment

Working...
                            X