Paiste Signature Cymbals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paiste Signature Cymbals

I am about to drop about $1500 on new cymbals, and am seriously considering the Paiste Signature Series.

Any thoughts on these from you guys?

- Hans
    - Hans

What kind of sound are you looking for?

Although I don't have mine anymore, the best two "extra" rides I ever had were the Dry Heavy Ride (21" if I recall correctly) and the Dry Dark Ride (20") for "special effects". I used those heavily when I was in my more "grungy" phase. Both, I thought, got better and better as they aged (or my hearing changed as I got older).

The Dry Heavy Ride can be extremely cutting and loud. The Dry Dark Ride you can get the weirdest sounds from, but is still all pretty controllable.

If you are into the louder stuff, these are choice cymbals.

Mine supplemented a standard ride I used most of the time though ... my 2002 24'' ride. I mostly used the 2002s (and still would) and stuck in the odd Signature or other one, depending on what I needed.

P.S.: Also check out the 10'' and 12'' Signature splashes. They're really fast and just great.

[This message has been edited by deus62 (edited June 18, 2002).]
    My equipment:
    :: (Expanded, TDW-1 with V-Cymbal Control)
    :: 2x CY-15R, 1x CY12H, 2 CY12R/C
    :: 1x Pad-120, 8x Pad-80R, 6x PD-7, 1x PD-9, 1x KD-120
    :: 1x FD-7
    :: 1x Roland MDS-10, 6x Sonor Delite double cymbal stands
    :: 1x DW 5000 Pedal
    :: 1x Mackie 1202 VLZ
    :: 1x NAD C521 CD-Player

To be expanded soon ...

Comment

Hans, the Paiste Signature Series are probably my favorite cymbals in the world, cost being no object. Sound-wise, I like them better than any others due to the glassy, shimmery quality that they have. Paiste cymbals tend, to me, to be more cymbal-like (funny, eh?) than any other cymbals, and less clanky with fewer low-pitch (unpleasant) overtones.

I'd say jump all over them.

-Danny
      -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I like Paiste cymbals very much. Especially the K constantinople series

No serious: for me they are more to the point than Zildjians. And still have a good tone. Perfect!
        Robert

Comment

Hans...before switching over to Roland electronics exclusively 2 years ago, I played the Paiste Signature Series cymbals. Absolutely loved them...

If you buy nothing else, check out the 16" Fast Crash...it's the best! It has a nice explosion, very rich and decays pretty quick. (the 16" full crash isn't bad either...) I also liked my 18" Full Crash, which has more "body" and is great for use as a powerful accent crash. I really liked the 10" Splash in the series too...a nice rich tone and very quick, as most splashes are.

I also used a 20" Dry Heavy Ride and a 16" Thin China. Loved the china...good volume but not enough to "blow you (and your bandmates) away". I wished I had purchased the 22' ride though, as those have a larger bell area.

Lastly, I played the 14" Medium Hi Hats...good all-around hats - not too heavy a sound - and recorded well.

Good Luck with your search and definitely check out the entire line!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hmasing:
            I am about to drop about $1500 on new cymbals, and am seriously considering the Paiste Signature Series.
            Well, I did it.

Here's the line up:

20" Full Ride (although I might swap this for something with a little more 'cut', maybe the dry ride)
            18" Full Crash
            16" Fast Crash (I ***LOVE*** this cymbal - it cuts, shimmers, and disappears...)
            14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
            12" Splash
            8" Splash

I also got a Zildjian "Zil-Bell".

I am waiting on my 16" Thin China.

In fact, I have completely changed my accoustic kit around based on these cymbals. After playing them a bit, I dropped four toms and went to a minimal kit - kick, snare, 12" tom, 14" tom and then all the cymbals listed above.

I find that as I age I am preferring less 'drum' and more 'cymbal'.

c. jude, I am *definitely* not an abuser. I played my Sabian B8 Pros without a single scratch since 1984 when I bought them. They are now relegated to my practice kit (my pearl Exports I bought at the same time). I also play drum sticks for months at a time, and that's gigging 2-3x a week. So, these will do well for me.

Overall, I have to say that it is taking a little getting used to, the clarity of these cymbals. They are all about high-end and shimmer, and my Sabians had alot of low-end noise that these don't have. I will be playing the signatures live for the first time this Thursday, and can't wait.

In fact, I have a gig coming up next Tuesday where I traditionally play my V's, but think that I will replace the electronic cymbals for this gig with the Paiste's, and see how it works. Why not?

Happy happy happy! Joy joy joy!

- Hans

- Hans

Comment

Check out:
              www.paiste.com

(if you havenŽt already)

I got some audio samples of my Paiste signature dry ride:
              http://hem.bredband.net/b125831/samples/ride.rar

(youŽll need winrar to unpack)

// Daniel

home page : http://hem.bredband.net/b125831

[This message has been edited by ddummer (edited June 18, 2002).]
              Check my VSTi project! http://hem.bredband.net/b125831

Comment

See! See! I told ya!

The Paiste's are just gorgeous, shimmery, & glassy. I've always equated the crash sound to shattering glass.

Did you know that Paiste makes (or used to, at least) a "cup chime" that was the same idea, but predated the Zil-bell from Zildjian?

If you want more cut from the ride, I'd suggest going with either the Heavy ride or The Heavy Dry ride. Give 'em a listen.

Playing the V-Drums with acoustic cymbals takes a little getting used to, what with the sounds coming from different directions, but I've always been happy with this setup. Enjoy!

-Danny
                -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by fartnokker:
                  See! See! I told ya!

The Paiste's are just gorgeous, shimmery, & glassy. I've always equated the crash sound to shattering glass.
                  I played them last night at a summer festival (we were the headliner), and they were fantastic. Cut right through the stage noise. This was for about a 2,000 person venue (at max capacity, it got full by the end of the night), and it was humid. But the Sigs just sang.

Nice.

I am happy.

- Hans
                  - Hans

Comment

Then all is right with the world!

-Danny
                    -Danny

Comment

Working...
                    X