home-built custom drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home-built custom drums

I'm curious if anyone here has dealt with Drum Supply House U.S.A. before? I just ordered the parts for my new kit from them this week.

In short, I'm building a custom maple kit, pretty much from scratch. I'm cannibalizing the lugs and rims from my acoustic practice kit, and putting them on new shells. I'm getting 6-ply thin Keller rock maple shells with no reinforcement rings & 45-degree bearing edges for the toms, and 8-ply versions of the same for the kick.

The toms will be 11 X 13, RIMS mounted ride tom and a 14 X 16 RIMS mounted floor tom. For the kick, I'm going with a 18 X 20 inch with 1.5 inch 10-ply maple hoops, and no spurs or mounting hardware. If you've ever seen a bass drum cradle before, it is kinda like an isolation mount for the kick, so you don't have to screw any hardware into it. I'm building one from scratch using materials from Home Depot.

I'm using thin rubber gasket material under each of the lugs, and double 1/2 inch vents in each shell. The finish I'm gonna use is a Colonial Walnut oil stain, which should yield a finish similar to the DW Satin Oil finish.

Thoughts?

-Danny
    -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

That sounds realy cool, Danny! I was thinking of doing the same thing before decideing to go with an e-kit. How much is it all going to cost? Of course if I did it it would cost much more because I don't have any drums to canibalize.

Comment

I've heard from a number of people who've ordered parts and shells from Drum Supply House (drummaker.com), and all have spoken very highly of the guys there. They may take a while to answer e-mails, but they always get through to you.
      I've had good experiences dealing with Precision Drums (precisiondrum.com) as well.

Stu
      "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Actually - I have a box of Camco style dw clone lugs, some bass drum spurrs, some tension lugs, some rims, blah.....blahh... gotta go count em again... I was starting a drum building project, but never finished...

Danny - wanna swap some of this stuff too?? It is just sitting here in a box....collecting dust...all brand spanking new...

Erik
        SEPdrums

Comment

It is ,in fact DW who clone the lugs from camco.

Comment

Jeez, Erik! Wish I'd known sooner; my order is already in, and the shells are being drilled for my Pearl-style lugs. How many of the "turret" lugs do you have, and what would you sell 'em for? Gives me ideas...

For snared: Without lugs & rims, which I already have, the ride tom/floor tom/kick combo is costing me right at $500, all told.

For mcconaghy: thanks for the report! Stacy at Drum Supply also spoke highly of Precision Drum, and I guess the companies know each other pretty well. Precision has a wider selection of shells, not as good selection of hardware, and higher prices. I went with Drum Supply House for fiscal reasons!

For cpgrossman: DW lugs are not Camco clones; they are Camco. DW bought Camco's entire business (stock, tools, dies, machinery), everything but the rights to the name, in 1977. DW's website has a blurb about it in their company history.

DW makes some of the finest drums available, and I'm a big fan of their stuff. Got a great DW snare that I love. I think these drums will actually sound better than DW's, though.

The thin shells will promote lower fundamental pitch. DW uses reinforcement rings, which increase attack, but also raises the pitch. Also, DW uses a double 45-degree bearing edge, which results in a 90-degree included angle. Mine are going to be 45-degree single edges, which will be much sharper. This'll result in less actual wood touching the head and inhibiting the resonance and decay.

Projected result? Deep tone, long sustain, minimum of high-pitched overtones. I can't wait!!!!!

-Danny
            -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by fartnokker:
              Jeez, Erik! Wish I'd known sooner; my order is already in, and the shells are being drilled for my Pearl-style lugs. How many of the "turret" lugs do you have, and what would you sell 'em for? Gives me ideas...

For snared: Without lugs & rims, which I already have, the ride tom/floor tom/kick combo is costing me right at $500, all told.

For mcconaghy: thanks for the report! Stacy at Drum Supply also spoke highly of Precision Drum, and I guess the companies know each other pretty well. Precision has a wider selection of shells, not as good selection of hardware, and higher prices. I went with Drum Supply House for fiscal reasons!

For cpgrossman: DW lugs are not Camco clones; they are Camco. DW bought Camco's entire business (stock, tools, dies, machinery), everything but the rights to the name, in 1977. DW's website has a blurb about it in their company history.

DW makes some of the finest drums available, and I'm a big fan of their stuff. Got a great DW snare that I love. I think these drums will actually sound better than DW's, though.

The thin shells will promote lower fundamental pitch. DW uses reinforcement rings, which increase attack, but also raises the pitch. Also, DW uses a double 45-degree bearing edge, which results in a 90-degree included angle. Mine are going to be 45-degree single edges, which will be much sharper. This'll result in less actual wood touching the head and inhibiting the resonance and decay.

Projected result? Deep tone, long sustain, minimum of high-pitched overtones. I can't wait!!!!!

-Danny
              I'm a fan of a 30/45 degree angle myself, results in a slightly warmer tone than the double 4 with some nice attack.

Stu

P.S. When DW bought Camco (from Tama, actually) they had to share the patents for the camco pedal with Tama. Tama's Camco pedal and DW's first 5000 series pedals were based on the same patent, and also on the same dyes.

Comment

The edges I'm getting, straight single-side 45's, are supposedly pretty good for maple. I was told that if I wasn't happy with them, I could send them back for a different bearing edge cut, but the guy was willing to wager with me that I'd like them better than any other.

According to Drum Supply House, they do a brisk business in recutting bearing edges for customers' name brand drums, such as DW, Sonor, etc. If I'm happy with them, I might send 'em my Ludwig Super Classic Satinwood Limited Edition snare, since I was thinking about having Pork Pie put new edges on it. It has a couple of dings on the bearing edge now, so that's a good excuse for some customization. It is already my favorite wood snare.

Ahh, I could ramble on for hours...

-Danny
                -Danny

Comment

i am just turned 18, i want to have an awesome acoustic set like a dw, or pearl. but i cant afford them. i think building them like you would be cheaper. would it? i want a set exactly like this one: http://www.roligarciajr.com/sessions.htm
                  ABOUT how much would it cost to order shells, and hardware, and build a set with the same set up as that one, that sounded just as good, or better. (i do not know the sizes of drums, i do know that i want maple shells), could someone take the time and let me know, ill keep checking the forum.

Comment

Hi Fartknocker,

Sounds like a cool project!

One question came to me - are you sure you want to put used, possibly questionable rims on such exquisite drums?

Why not spring for new rims, or perhaps die-cast rims, since you have only two toms?

With very thin shells, with no reinforcement rings (which I agree is the way to go for maximum resonance), why not insure structural integrity with die-cast rims?

[This message has been edited by gingerbaker (edited October 20, 2001).]
                    Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

Originally posted by drummerboy:
                      i am just turned 18, i want to have an awesome acoustic set like a dw, or pearl. but i cant afford them. i think building them like you would be cheaper. would it? i want a set exactly like this one: http://www.roligarciajr.com/sessions.htm
                      ABOUT how much would it cost to order shells, and hardware, and build a set with the same set up as that one, that sounded just as good, or better. (i do not know the sizes of drums, i do know that i want maple shells), could someone take the time and let me know, ill keep checking the forum.

Drummerboy,
                      it's difficult to say how much this will cost, because it depends on many factors, which shells you'll use, how many plies, with or without reinforcement rings, which hoops, lugs, suspension system, etc, and last but not least what kind of finish you want.
                      Got to http://www.drummaker.com or http://www.precisiondrum.com and have a look at their selections, and best do the math yourself. Both companies sell Keller shells, which are the foundation for most custom kits out there. If you compare prices you may end up ordering a full set from someone like Spaun instead.
                      No one here can make a good recommendation for you since we don't really know what you're looking for.

Stu

Comment

Damned fine question, Ginger!!! I'm using the triple-flange rims (as well as the Pearl-style lugs) I already have because:

(a) They are virtually unused, and in perfect condition.

(b) The savings I get by using stuff I've already got is what is allowing me to do this at all.

(c) I'm po.

Seriously, though, I had given consideration to cast rims for the toms, but there is feeling among a number of experts that cast rims raise the pitch of the drum, and that the added mass negatively affects resonance. Now, with that said, I also feel that cast rims would add rigidity and (of course) result in more even head tension and tuning.
                        I may eventually go that route, but for now I think that TLC, good cases, and RIMS mounts will minimize the danger to the shells. I want the best combination of response (shallower than "square" tom depths) and thunderous low end, and there will probably be a bit of experimentation along the way.

In case I haven't mentioned it, this is one helluva exciting experience!

-Danny

-Danny

Comment

The pic is my kit which was built for me by a guy in the UK called Gary Noonan. Gary used keller maple shells.

The kit is green waxed finished with gold plated hardware. The rims are premier, and I use yamaha yess mounting systems.

All topped of withe Evans skins, and sounds gourgous

Comment

Great looking kit, Daveb!

-Danny
                            -Danny

Comment

so danny, how is the kit coming along? i am thinking of going down this road myself soon.

i was thinking that i would actually learn to cut my own bearing edges using a router at home. anyone tried this? i think it would be a good skill to have.

[This message has been edited by digitsone (edited November 21, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X