Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork Pie

Was just wondering if anyone has any comments regarding The Pork Pie stuff... I am seriously considering a kit.....of course gotta find one to demo first. They seem really nice, and seems a lot of Fantastic drummers seem to go with them.

Has anyone tried or own them? They are a little bit pricey, can get a great DW kit for even less then the Pork Pie stuff.

Any of your thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Michael
    Electronics: TD-10(TDW-1),V-Concert, KD-120.

Acoustics: 6pc Pearl Master's, 5pc Pearl BLX, 4pc Precision Drum Co. Kit, Zildjian K Custom Dark Ride, Zildjian New Beats, Sabian hh Dark Crashes and Splashes, Wuhan China, Zildjian 20" Swizzle, DW Pedals, Remo Heads, Pro-Mark sticks

Pork Pie are some nice custom drums, "Made by an American." Mr. Detamore makes a pretty damned good product. Played 'em, never owned 'em, but I would if the situation was right.

DW vs. Pork Pie? Mass-produced vs. small custom shop. Play everything, then buy what you like - not what some other famous guy is playing. There are some products endorsed by very respected drummers that I personally think sound like trash, but that's just my opinion. Form your own, & buy what you like, no matter what others say.

Make your ears happy! Have fun in the process...

-Danny
    -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Yep,
      I just bought a Spirit snare ($$$) and I am going to give it the full treatment, if it doesn't satisfy me it will be back on ebay.
      Play what you like, make good music........ make people happy.
      Life is short.
      The original Gig Pig.

Comment

I would suggest looking at Spaun or Fibes before you look at Pork Pie. I have a Fibes kit which I love.I use it for all of my live gigs. Fibes use the same Jasper maple shells that Gretch uses, for way less money. I really like the kits Brian Spaun is building. Bearing edges are perfect, finishes are nice...BRASS LUGS! I think I am selling my Fibes and moving towards a Spaun kit. Both are much less money and I think they are a nicer drums. I do have friends that like the Pork pie stuff.....it is nice. A;; pf these are American made drums.....
        Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
        Presonus Firepod
        Reaper
        Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Comment

Hey thanks a lot for all of the info guys....I really do appreciate it. Yeah, it was kinda late when I posted this....didnt really mean to come across as saying, it must be great if "so and so" is playing it...thats just how it came across.... I def. want to explore as many options as possible before making my decision, for this is probably the last kit I am going to buy in a long while considering I just purchased my v-concerts, and now here I am considering another A kit as well. The funny thing about it all, is that my townhouse is quickly becoming over run with gear (2 A kits, V-kit, and all sorts of African and latin toys)...lets just say my girlfriend is less than excited about it. Funny how I have no problem spending money on gear, but I am "Johnny Comment" when it comes to my significant other going out and buying clothing, and stuff like that. Very interesting, I even admit how strange that is. I'm really not that much of a D*ck though.

I Def. am going to check out as much as I can....I am actually considering perhaps going with a nice smaller 4 piece kit perhaps with an 18" Kick, and maybe 12" and 14" toms.

Have played quite a few DW kits and as with most gear some sound really fantastic, and some I would say seem less than fantastic. but that is one of the true beauties of the "drum" what distinct characteristics each have. Similiar in other instruments of course as well.... My friend actually works for Martin guitar, in Nazareth, PA.....and he often tells me of how many Martins just don't make the cut (at least to him)...But of course to each his own.

I do wanna check out the Spaun drums, The Pork Pie Drums, and the Fibes...just kinda hard to find a place to demo them.

I am actually going to take a ride upstate New York to check out The Precision Drum Company stuff this weekend. I have just recently had phone contact with them, and they seem to be really nice people, family run, all drummers, and I have heard a lot of great stuff about there products...so anyone interested, I'll keep you posted.

Once again, Thank you Danny, Jude, Acid, and Steve for your input....I really do appreciate it.

Thanks and much respect,
          Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael_Drum_2112 (edited May 06, 2002).]
          Electronics: TD-10(TDW-1),V-Concert, KD-120.

Acoustics: 6pc Pearl Master's, 5pc Pearl BLX, 4pc Precision Drum Co. Kit, Zildjian K Custom Dark Ride, Zildjian New Beats, Sabian hh Dark Crashes and Splashes, Wuhan China, Zildjian 20" Swizzle, DW Pedals, Remo Heads, Pro-Mark sticks

Comment

That's a fine way to get exactly what you want... build it yourself! Then you can put your own name on it, and call it a one-of-a-kind. I'd advise, if you want to go that route, to research & test a lot of gear to determine what characteristics (shell material, thickness, depth, bearing edge, hardware, reinforcement rings, finish, etc.) appeal to your ears.

Good luck!

-Danny
            -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
            X