Tortoise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tortoise

Okay, flame me if you like, but this forum has been dormant for a couple of days, so I thought I'd bring this up.

What do you think of the band Tortoise? Last month I drove 1100 miles round trip to see them live, and the trip was well worth it. All five of the band members are multi-instrumentalists to some degree; three of the five members play drums. They don't play e-drums, although I think I've seen them use an SPD-20. They use two acoustic kits, which I believe are Slingerland, as well as two vibraphones.

Anyway, I got right up to the front of the stage and was able to hear the crack of the drums from the stage rather than the PA, a very satisfying experience. These guys play with such creativity and dynamics. During some songs, they used two drummers. I thought Bruford/Mastelotto had the cinch on double-drumming, but McEntire/Herndon were fantastic as well.

Drummers and listeners interested in unique, instrumental rock would do well to check out this group.

Can you send in some mp3 files from Torrtoiusooeooeese?
    Robert

Comment

1.john the drummer used to live across the street from me.
      2. his old band wax drippings,played a show with my free jazz band (they were punk rock kids and did not get us).
      3. he want to keep the fact that he was in that band a secret (i.e hes not proud of the fact he played with them.
      5. tortoise rip off 70's german prog (read- the group Can) so, go out and buy the real thing.
      6. post rock my ass.

Comment

Putt, with the exception of 'Didjeridoo', a Duke Ellington song, the Amazon MP3's offered are on the spacey side, not necessarily representative of their albums as a whole.

cpgrossman, obviously you don't like Tortoise, which is a matter of taste. To each his own. But it seems like you have an axe to grind. Point #3 is the only point you made that talks about their music.

Ah well. I asked for flames and I got 'em!

Comment

dude tortoise whoops A**!!! My favorite album is TNT, esp the jungle track towards the end, .... Crazy Beats.

and the track after that.

when i think prog rock from the 70's I think Brand X. you would call tortoise prog ROCK????

[This message has been edited by Prototype (edited December 19, 2001).]
          http://www.evolbeats.com

Comment

see my other post

Comment

no, but i would call them boring can ripoffs

Comment

Well, if nothing else you have convinced me to check out Can.

And gave me a laugh.

-Does “Can” have any jungle songs? (Being from the 70’s and all…. )

You know actually now I'm really interested. You see in my spare time I mix together old 70's funk records. and I've kinda noticed, (not that i'm racist) that all of the records I'm collecting were crafted by black people, so I've been looking for some white boy funk. ONE Rick Wakeman song has a good part also ONE or two brand X songs can mix pretty well with the Funk. You think “Can” might have something I could use?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Prototype (edited December 20, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Prototype:
                  Well, if nothing else you have convinced me to check out Can.

And gave me a laugh.

-Does “Can” have any jungle songs? (Being from the 70’s and all…. )

Dude, I think you are missing the point about Can.

Since you perform electronica styles you should know where some of the roots of electronica started. You are looking for jungle songs from a band the came before Kraftwerk, did you expect them to bash out jungle tracks before jungle was even conceived, about 20 years later perhaps? Your version of electronica is only the recent styles that you have heard since your conception. The more beat oriented style came when Kraftwerk came along, but Can did lay the ground work for Kraftwerk, they just were not as beat oriented as Kraftwerk.
                  The early "techno/electronica" was mostly ambient styles, the beats came later and evolved to the styles heard today. Have you heard of Eno's early music?

You are showing you age at this time and that is understandable, but don't knock what you don't understand.

BTW - jungle is dated, time to move on.

------------------
                  Outboard gear: Focusrite Compounder, Drawmer DL-241, BBE-482, Aphex C-104, Behringer T1951 4-Band Parametric Tube EQ, Lexicon MPX1, Mackie 1402-VLZ, (Crown K2 amp & Cerwin Vega V-253 speakers = 1600 watts @ 4 ohms continues power, peak at 3000 watts) and Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones.

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited December 20, 2001).]
                  Studio

Comment

LOL!!!

What are you talking about!? DID YOU NOT SEE THE ROLLING EYES!?!?! "Being from the 70’s and all…. " come on ... I was JOKING!!!!!!!

my god! I know plenty about where my music came from. YOUR RIGHT jungle died in 96 or somewhere there abouts. SO MY QUESTION WAS ...

DOES CAN EVER COME CLOSE TO FUNK?

THANKS.

how old am i btw?

Comment

how did I knock on CAN? what gives I was trying to be good natured.

I thought your posts were funny! That is what i was laughing at. I really think you misunderstood what I have written hear, I was asking an honest question. I was wanting to know what kind of style Can really was, you say Tortoise rips them off, but when I think Tortoise mixed with a more prog rock sound, That could be pretty cool, possibly some kind of space funk. Please give me the benefit of the doubt and help me out hear. I imagine I won’t be finding their music off WINMX to down load.

[This message has been edited by Prototype (edited December 20, 2001).]

Comment

how old am i btw?
                        A teenager.

DOES CAN EVER COME CLOSE TO FUNK?
                        Your point was? Can and funk from the 70's - not in the same genre.

------------------
                        Outboard gear: Focusrite Compounder, Drawmer DL-241, BBE-482, Aphex C-104, Behringer T1951 4-Band Parametric Tube EQ, Lexicon MPX1, Mackie 1402-VLZ, (Crown K2 amp & Cerwin Vega V-253 speakers = 1600 watts @ 4 ohms continues power, peak at 3000 watts) and Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones.
                        Studio

Comment

HA! I'm not a teen!

Comment

you know what your just an ass hole! hear I am showing a genuine interest in this band that you have mentioned. and all you can be is pissed that i like Jungle music. (go ahead and say JUNGLE > MUSIC oxy moron) HA HA. I like all kinds of music. If you had of said Can plays new age similar to Tomita I still prob. would have searched out some of their tunes. But thanks for being such a d___k and automatically assuming that I am a pimply faced raver E tard teenager who could not appreciate good music if my life depended on it. One day you will probably assume the wrong thing about the wrong person and it could damage your musical career. But just to end this conversation just as I had started it, with humor and good intentions. I will say this quote. "Arguing over the Internet is like being in the Special Olympics, you may win, but your still retarded."

[This message has been edited by Prototype (edited December 21, 2001).]

Comment

Actually with your most recent post you just showed your age as well as your intellect level and just as I was about to respond to you, but you went ahead and shot your mouth off just a like an intellectually challenged little kid.

My initial respond to you was not offensive yet rather objective and excuse me for not responding to your ROLLING EYES statement. But never the less since you can't take a bit of objection, the only thing you are capable of is running your mouth, which is typical of a "pimply faced raver E tard".

Where did you hear me being pissed that you like jungle music, I am just curious where in my initial post you noticed that I was pissed about that fact and made it abundantly clear?

One day you will probably assume the wrong thing about the wrong person and it could damage your musical career
                              Really, please enlighten me and tell me how? You mean I will loose my number one fan... you? Now that is funny!!!

Look JR. Since your short attention span is low as it is I will let this one go, but next time you piss me off by running your mouth prematurely - I will make it my business to show up in your nick of the woods and shove your drums up your ass, or better yet have some of my friends from N.Y. pay you a visit since they are closer - since you were so kind to provide the info about your self, I know where to find you.

Yeah, this is probably not the way to go about it, but I am tired of people shooting of their mouths just because some one gave them critique. Oh well - f_u_c_k it, got to start with someone, might as well be this dolt.

------------------

Studio

Comment

Working...
                              X