tama starclassic efx wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tama starclassic efx wrap

Has anyone used this kit (the tama starclassic efx with wrapped shells?) Just curious to see how they are compared to the painted shells. Also, i'm confused about the sound focus rings. The catalog says it makes it have a mellowing or muting effect. Any opinions on how it makes it sound?
    td-6, pro-mark, remo, sabian, dw, tama rockstar.

What's so confusing about the Sound Focus Rings? They do exactly what the catalog says: they mellow the overtones, focusing the sound. As for my opinion, it only matters what YOU think about them. Some people like them, others don't.

But Tama doesn't offer "painted" shells, so there's no comparison. They do, however, offer lacquered shells. The wrapped shells don't have as much resonance.
    "I'm not a guitarist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Comment

so is it like dw's reinfocing ring or like remo's O dampeners?

Comment

It's like DW's reinforcement rings, or the rings you'll find on vintage drums.
        They do as Stoovey describes, dampen overtones, resulting in a drier tone as compared to the same shell without rings. The original idea was to add stability to the old thinner-shelled drums, but drum builders now use them more or less for sound reasons only.
        Comparing Starclassic Performer EFX to the laquered Starclassic Performers, the laquered drums sound more lively, the wrapped drums have a more focussed tone. Which is better is up to your personal taste, give 'em both a try if you can.

Stu
        "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

cool. thanks

Comment

Working...
          X