Bass Drum Pedal Tecnique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Drum Pedal Tecnique

First post here, drummers, so i don't know what kind of response I'll get. I've been playing for 10 months now and take lessons once a week. My instructor just noticed that I tend to leave the bass drum beater on the drum after I play a beat. He said this will hurt in recording cause of little extra hits a mic will pick up from the beater being there. He also said allowing the beater to bounce of the drum will produce a better sound and help improve speed. My problem is that's the way i'm comfortable, with my right foot down. Could anyone tell me if they've had this problem or ways I could fix it? drills, anything really... I'm so paranoid now and listen so closely. I really want to be a solid drummer. I'm only 16 and hope to someday be able to play some really sweet stuff, so better to work out the kinks sooner than later. Thanks a lot to anyone who responds or offers advice.

Steve

First off terry bozzio plays that way,so its a matter of control. get a dbl pedel it will help. get a copy of bass drum control.

Comment

A lot of top name drummers "bury the beater" when playing doubles, the way you describe, but they also let the beater bounce on single notes. For me it's a speed question, working with the bounce enables me to play a lot faster, and it's comfortable to me. One tip for the meanwhile, always place the ball of your foot about halfway up the pedal, about where the wide part of your footboard begins. That made it a lot easier for me when I started.

Stu
      "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Learning the "heels down" technique might help.

You might try increasing the tension on the pedal too.

Comment

Vinnie Colaiuta plays the same way you describe also, and I don't think anyone ever accused him of having poor technique....Personally, I totally disagree with your instructor. Backing off the pedal like that is really more of a jazz technique, where the time derives from the ride and snare, and the bass drum is used more for accents and what they refer to as "dropping bombs". My guess is that your instructor probably has a jazz background. The comment he made about your technique being a hindrance when it comes to recording is total bull****. If you're a rock drummer, I'd say "go with what you know" on this matter. However, if you respect your instructor's opinion, then I agree with Marc. about using the "heel down" technique. In fact, I play heel down and back off the beater in the country band I'm in, and it works well for ballads and country swing tunes. For everything else, I play heel up and lay into that puppy....
          TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Originally posted by freetoed drummer:
            I'm so paranoid now and listen so closely. I really want to be a solid drummer. Steve
            Sounds like you've got a pretty good attitude to taking this seriously, and that's half the battle. You've been given some good advice here, and I would only add...relax. Play comfortably and spend a little time each time you play, trying to play some of your best stuff without burying the beater. Pretty soon, you'll be combining the two techniques and next you'll be burying it, or not, at will, or just not thinking about it.

Comment

I agree with what everyone has said here. I prefer the sound I get when I let the beater bounce off the head, to get a huge sound, rather than play into the head. What I noticed was by moving the ball of my foot down the footboard, it didn't rest on the pedal and leave the beater on the head. I also found that by sitting with my back against a wall, when I get the open sound, I feel it in the wall. When I don't feel that, I concentrate on letting my foot come out more. If you can try that, it's kinda cool. Otherwise, just focus, if that's the sound you want.
              td-6, pro-mark, remo, sabian, dw, tama rockstar.

Comment

Techniques certainly do vary from drummer to drummer as you can tell from the posts here and the advice from your teacher. I agree with most of the comments made and will just add that in my experience as a drum teacher, it is only natural to teach what you know, and what works for you. It would be like a teacher recommending using a matched grip and everyone flipping that traditional grip works just fine dammit! A teacher realizes that there is more than one technique, but can only offer a detailed level of training in a technique that they are skilled at. You already know how "burying the beater" feels, TRY his technique and see if, and how well it works for you. If it's no good, go back. I used to think nobody played heels down until I read an article in Modern Drummer on JR Robinson, and he talked EXTENSIVELY about how much better heels down is than heels up. It intrigued me enough to realize that it must be feasible, but not enough to try and change my entire technique (maybe I should though!) Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

Working...
                X