Bass drum sizes 22X 18 or 22 X 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass drum sizes 22X 18 or 22 X 16

A question about bass drums. I'm thinking of buying an additional bass drum to add to my set. I have a 20" bass drum (that I use mostly for jazz playing) but, I want to get a larger 22" for rock gigs etc... What do you suggest,a 22 X 18 or a more traditional 22 X 16. Is there a big difference? I've gone to the local shops but it's hard to tell with the kids banging away next to you and the equipment poorly tuned. Thanks

26 x 18!

24 x 16 minimum.

Comment

You mention 16-inch depth as a standard. Cute, how long is it that 14-inches was a standard and since more companies offer 18-inch as a standard: where will it end.

In general: the deeper the bass drum the more volume and the more kick there will be in a sound. The French Capelle once offered a 32 inches deep bass drum - so Marc.'s option isn't that weird at all - but to me there is a maximum to depth (there always is a maximum to something).

With a deep bass drum the resonant head will play a less important role (it's too far away from the batterhead) which makes the bass drum only say thud. If you like that, it's okay, but from some point the sound will be very 'thuddy' and miss the resonancies from a 'normal' deep bass.

Don't forget: deep bass drums require larger cases and more space on narrow stages. Plus (if you don't use a drum rack) positioning the hardware and getting the toms close to you is more difficult.
      Robert

Comment

Damn! I used to play a Capelle 5-piece kit with a 22"x32" kick!!!!! Great toms, but the bass drum was too deep and bassy after a while. Very nice pedals, though!
        I've since developed an adversity towards bass drums deeper than 16", because in my opinion the tone just gets lost and the note becomes a bassy thud.

Stu,
        a big fan of 14" deep bass drums
        "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

I say 22X16 for a couple of reasons...

First, the deeper the shell, the less responsive it is, and the more force you have to hit the drum with to get a full response. The 22X16 has plenty of depth and volume. Hell, I saw a guy playing last weekend with an 18 or 20-inch diameter DW kick, and it had AWESOME thump. Smaller drums can be tuned properly to produce some great low-end.

Second, if you are playing with amplification, the depth won't matter very much. I'm assuming that for a rock gig, you'll have a hole of some sort in the front head for mic'ing purposes, which will allow the mic to be placed facing the point of impact on the batter head for that punch attack sound. This will keep the depth of the drum and the response of the front head relatively out of the equation.

In truth, most people go with the deeper shells just for looks. Most important: Get what YOU like!

-Danny
          -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

So why do some dw drums have the second small bass drum attached to the deeper bass drum? Like 2 drums stacked together.

I just read that they're called woofers...
            What does that do for you though?

[This message has been edited by animal (edited August 22, 2001).]

Comment

They add some low-end through sympathetic vibrations, basically they're like a drone string on a sitar, or a Norwegian Hardanger violin.
              Due to the fact that they're not part of the bass drum per se, the amount of vibrations can be adjusted by the distance between bass drum and woofer. A lot better idea than making a longer bass drum

Stu

Comment

One of the studios I have worked at uses a similar technique.
                First (after some *****ing by me) I take off my front head, then he gets a second unheaded shell and uses 2 mics so that under the blanket he gets attack and the air from the open end.

I was protesting as it does affect the response of the drum but man it works.

I may not be describing this very well, but it's effective.

I am of the " keep yer friggin tape OFF my drums" school.
                They sound fine as is and you can make it happen or not.

Old I guess.

------------------
                td 8,
                pintech pads,gibraltor rack JBL G2 EON 15 AND Mackie srs-1500, yamaha maple customs, remo jazz kit, buttloads of cymbals... 96 Tahoe,leather.
                The original Gig Pig.

Comment

Nu skool too, mate! You come anywhere near my acoustics with a roll of tape, I'll break your arms :#

If it sounds good, don't change it.

Stu

Comment

Now, in spite of what I stated last time, I just ordered a 20 X 18-inch deep kick shell on my new custom acoustic kit. I saw and heard a 20 X 20 DW that I fell in love with, but the deepest I could get this 20 was 18 inches, so I'm going that route. I am creating a custom bass drum cradle, so that no spurs will be attached, as well as no tom mounting hardware. Nothing but the lugs, under rubber gaskets. If anyone's interested, I'll post an update on how it works out....

-Danny
                    -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by fartnokker:
                      Now, in spite of what I stated last time, I just ordered a 20 X 18-inch deep kick shell on my new custom acoustic kit. I saw and heard a 20 X 20 DW that I fell in love with, but the deepest I could get this 20 was 18 inches, so I'm going that route. I am creating a custom bass drum cradle, so that no spurs will be attached, as well as no tom mounting hardware. Nothing but the lugs, under rubber gaskets. If anyone's interested, I'll post an update on how it works out....

-Danny
                      Sounds good, if there's any way you can a/b a similar bass drum with spurs against your bass drum with the cradle, let us know of your results. I've always suspected the drum losing a lot of sound due to the spurs, but wasn't really sure if a cradle would make that much a difference.

Stu

Comment

Working...
                      X