Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best High Hat Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best High Hat Stand

I'll get this under way with my story. Well, the old Pearl stand just bit the dust so I headed to the local store and demoed everything I could get my hands on.
    I ended up buying the Tama Iron Cobra HH905 lever glide stand. WOW, I couldn't believe how much difference a stand could make. It is fast and smooth and the two leg thing makes fitting all the pedals a breeze. What the hell was I putting up with all these years?
    What are you guys putting up with?
    Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Roland FD-7

Seriously, I have a Pearl Eliminator hihat stand, and the only thing I could mutter when I first tried it out in the store was "Where have you been all my life?" If this stand was a woman I'd leave my wife for her

Stu
    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Originally posted by mcconaghy:
      Roland FD-7

Seriously, I have a Pearl Eliminator hihat stand, and the only thing I could mutter when I first tried it out in the store was "Where have you been all my life?" If this stand was a woman I'd leave my wife for her

Stu
      You would like an adjustable wife? "hey today you're having longer legs!"
      Music was my first love...

Comment

I have a dw5000 hat stand with 2 legs... I tested the dw next to the Pearl. I liked the Pearl better, but went with the DW because it cost less and matched my other dw stuffs.... Ok so flame me.
        I just thought that multiple cams, etc. were a bit much more than necessary for a hat stand....however that thing was smoooooooooth....

I was coming from a Cannon percussion stand, so either one was an improvement.

Erik
        SEP

Comment

I have a nice older adjustable chain drive Pearl stand on my acoustic set. Since my Yamaha acoustic set has the ol' Pearl DR-110 rack, I "surgically removed" the legs from the stand by drilling the rivets out. That way, I have a legless stand clamped directly to the rack (keeps the floor uncluttered for my double pedal), but with a few nuts and bolts converts easily back into a conventional leg stand.

The stand I'm using on the V-Pro kit is a generic (Sound Percussion) cheapo, with the legs drilled off and rack mounted just like on my acoustic set. I'm not as fanatical about my hi-hat stand as I am about other things... Like my Roc-N-Soc Nitro-ride throne, which my butt thanks me for every day, and my old Yamaha double pedal that I bought in Japan about 10 years ago.

I'm sure I could have some benefit from a better, more responsive hi-hat stand, but it serves its purpose for now, and I can't justify the added expense at the moment.

FWIW, I've always wanted to screw around with a cable-remote (DW?) hi-hat setup on a drum rack. The positioning and angle possibilities are intriguing...

-Danny
          -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I have the Axis X hihat. Very well built and smooth as glass. I used an old Rogers hat before this one, and the action is close to identical. I spoke to the owner of the company once and he said that was exactly what they were going for... It is also extremely flexible when setting up (I can have the stand at a 45 degree angle and the pedal and cymbals level) and very light. Being aircraft grade aluminum and all...
            DTX950, UX8, Logic

Comment

Iv'e got a 1" black iron pipe with legs welded on it and a steel cable running through it with a cherry wood pedal all homemade works great!!

Comment

Hell, I thought I was industrious!!!! You got me beat by a mile! Best I ever did was create a remote fixed hi-hat from old spare hardware parts mixed-n-matched.

You should post a pic of that stand; I'd love to see it!

-Danny
                -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by fartnokker:
                  You should post a pic of that stand; I'd love to see it!
                  Yeah, ditto! Does a drummers ingenuity know no bounds???
                  Steve

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by MPCman:
                    You would like an adjustable wife? "hey today you're having longer legs!"
                    That'd be nice... hey, today I'd like you to have short blond hair... yeah, I'd like that!

Stu

Comment

yea - and until i decide hun, i would like you to have no volume on your voice.

now thats priceless...

erik

Comment

....and an inability to move out of the bedroom!
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steveo the Devo:
                          ....and an inability to move out of the bedroom!
                          Trust a bonzer to come up with a gem like that!

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by mcconaghy:
                            Trust a bonzer to come up with a gem like that!
                            Coming from Australia, I have no idea what the rest of the world calls us. I am assuming that 'bonzer' is an affectionate (???) name for an Aussie? LOL
                            Or did that go right over my head??
                            Steve

Comment

On topic :

I recently switched from an old adjustable Tama stand, to the HH905 and i too was blown away by the performances of the new stand AND the improvement of my old hi-hats. an extra positvie point is the fact the new one weighs a lot less ...

Off topic :

it would be nice to be able to say about your wive what i just said about the stand, wouldn't it ... (you do know you've got to replace 'hi-hats' with something else, i hope ...)
                              - "Can i kick it?"
                              - "Yes, you can ..."

Comment

Working...
                              X