Best Hi-Hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Hi-Hats

I struggled with finding hi-hats which "sounded like the CD" and had the response I was looking for. I'm interested in what hats reached nirvana for you.

I started with A Zildjian 14" New Beats. I hated them and replaced them with 15" K Zildjians. They were a big improvement, but I can't say I was 100% satisfied. What puzzled me was how popular the New Beats are and how many big names claim to use them. Was it just a case of me having weird taste?

Note that I never had the opportunity to run my set through a decent sound system with any effects. I only got the raw acoustic sound to make a judgement.
    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Many drummers have endorsements from Paiste, Zildjian et all. But: do they play the cymbals they say? Not always. Sometimes famous drummers also have more than 1 set up (live/studio) and sometimes famous drummers have demo or beta models. These are the cymbals you can't buy at a shop.

So go out and listen yourself. Just like with e-drums. And don't forget: cymbals always sound different on a large distance than close to you. I never liked my heavy ride (it was too BIG from sound) but when playing live it is the ultimate ride with a perfect ping and beat that carries and lays above our rock style music. In a drumshop I would prefer a Medium ride, but this cymbal doesn't bear at a large distance. Same with new beat hi-hats. They are perfect for recording and playing in a drum shop, but can have insufficiant power and body to cut through a rock band. Ofcourse in a dance or jazz band everything can be different. Again: test and listen. Also bring your own cymbals with you to match the sounds and pitches.
    Robert

Comment

Hi-hat recommendation:

When I was doing stuff with acoustics, I had a great (still have, actually) pair of Sabian Hats, called flat hats.

They are a 14" pair, where the bottom cymbal is flat (has no bell), and has sevel holes around the half-way to the edge section. About 5 of them.

They have a really defined sound when struck and a remarkably strong chick when used with the foot. I use my left foot quite a bit bit for time marking and this needs to not disappear...it's part of my sound. It also had really nice wash sounds when left partially open, and a good, solid, closing sound when struck open and quickly closed (I don't know the actual terms for these things, so I'm trying to describe the machanics <g>).

They weren't REALLY expensive...but I don't remember how much. Also have a Sabian 20-21" Dry Ride. Love it as well. pings good, gets out fairly quick and has the bell from hell on it, when struck with the meat of the stick.

Also, I really like the "sound control" type crashes for recording, but won't last live if you beat them to get more sound out, they are fairly quiet, but have an excellent sound.

There's my $.02
      redbrick
      My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
        I started with A Zildjian 14" New Beats. I hated them and replaced them with 15" K Zildjians. They were a big improvement, but I can't say I was 100% satisfied. What puzzled me was how popular the New Beats are and how many big names claim to use them. Was it just a case of me having weird taste?
        Personally, I _liked_ the 14" newbeats I had, as well as the 13" newbeats I used for a few years... but now I _love_ 14" Sabian HH hats. They have a much nicer sound (imo). The hammering leads to some difference from one set to another, go try a few sets... they might be what you are looking for.

------------------
        \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited February 05, 2001).]
        \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

My favorites are still Zildjian A 14" Quick Beats!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric:
            My favorites are still Zildjian A 14" Quick Beats!
            Ditto on the quick beats, they have always been my favorite.
            Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

At first I had the 14" Paiste 404's. They were ok but I thought I could get something better, so I got another Paiste Model.. that was ok too, but then I went for what I thought is ultimate(for me that is) the New Beat 13". I was quite disappointed at first after trying it, but didn't want to go out and just spend more money to buy yet another pair. So stuck with it for several years, and I just gradually got used to the sound. Today I do quite like the sound.
              I am just saying, sometimes, we have what we want in front of us, just maybe don't know it yet.

Fon
              Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
              Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

Comment

I eventually found the sound I was looking for in a pair of UFIP Class-Series hats. I have a lovely 15" crash from the same series.

The UFIP's are a really nice cymbal.
                Andy
                TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Currently using 14" A Custom Mastersounds. Great sound in all playing positions. My remotes are A's that I got second hand, so they're a little worn, but still sound vintage-bright
                  substrike.com for a better tomorrow - today!
                  My Drums
                  Tama Rockstar Acoustics, Zildjian and Wuhan Cymbals, Roland SPD-20, Roland PM-16, Akai S2000 w/Iomega 250 SCSI Zip, 2 Pintech Silentech Pads (one single zone, one dual zone), Kat F.A.T. Pedal, Pintech K3, Simmons pads.

Comment

I've played Zildjian 14" New Beat hi-hats for the past 30 years & wouldn't trade them in for anything.
                    These were "paired" by me personally as I couldn't find a factory matched pair that sounded decent (Not exactly what a music shop
                    likes to see needless to say).
                    Moral of the story .... "Play-LISTEN" before purchasing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dana:
                      These were "paired" by me personally as I couldn't find a factory matched pair that sounded decent (Not exactly what a music shop
                      likes to see needless to say).
                      Moral of the story .... "Play-LISTEN" before purchasing.
                      Gotta admit I got these thru mail order. They were easy to sell so no loss incurred. I just found it hard to believe the New Beats could be so popular and sound like what I got. It sounds like they are popular for a reason and I just had bad luck.

Where I live, there isn't much selection and prices are close to full retail. Try before you buy becomes difficult if not impossible. I spent 4 hours on the road to try out the V's. The cost made it worthwhile and there have been no regrets.

You were very fortunate to get a personally paired set but that's the exception for most of us. Mail order on cymbals will always have its risks.

Thanks for the feedback.
                      Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Personally I use and like 13" zildjian quick beats with the brilliant finish. They have 4 holes in the bottom for quick air release and produce a nice overall sound. For some reason similar to 13" snares, 13" high hats record really well, and with the brilliant finish, there really isn't anything better than playing a newly cleaned shiny cymbal.

[This message has been edited by LIVEfreak (edited February 09, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by LIVEfreak (edited February 10, 2001).]

Comment

Hi my favourites are the 13" K Zildjian Mastersounds. Saving all my pennies for a set.
                          www.royfulton.co.uk, www.zendrum.com ,Tempus Drums, Istanbul Agop, Regal Tip, Alesis DMPro, D4,Garageband, HK Powerworks PA

Comment

I used to play (and still own) a Zildjian 13" K/Z combo. A K on top and a Z DynoBeat on the bottom. Make for crisp stickwork and a louder 'chic' sound when using the HH pedal. Many, many pros used and endorsed this combo as well.

------------------
                            -Alex. & V-Drums: http://www.zing.com/album/?id=429276...ulation_page=Y
                            Thanx. Alex & me V's! http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr

Comment

MY BEST HH IS SABIAN 14 " I HAVE TRIED OTHERS BUT SABIAN HAS IT BEAT IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X