A-E Drum Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-E Drum Switch

OK, similar to the acoustic drum conversion thread in the Tips & Trick Forum. However, where that thread is talking about conversion, my question is what is a good path for going back & forth on an acoustic kit with the flip of a switch. I would imagine some sort of contact sensor and assoc. brain? Silence or quiet play is not required. And it's obvious triggering acoustic drum sounds would not be the intent here.

I suppose this idea would be similar to Carl Palmer's BSS tour setup i.e. all acoustic w/somekind of triggering apparatus. I attended 3 of the shows on that tour and heck if I could see any wiring (other than for the mics). To this day I have not read one scrap of data on how that kit was designed. Anyone?

-Marc.

Acoustic drums with ddrum triggers and a brain?

On your mixer you could mute a subgroup of the microphones or the electronic drum sound.
    Music was my first love...

Comment

Originally posted by MPCman:
      On your mixer you could mute a subgroup of the microphones or the electronic drum sound.
      Actually that idea crossed my mind already. Like have a mic from each drum spilt off to a control unit that toggles part of or all of the set between an E-Drum brain or the mixer. (This can't be new ground)

-Marc.

Comment

Can microphones do the trigger job as well? I mean: instead of the need for separate triggers. Would be fine if the microphone picks up the acoustic drum sound as well as trigger a brain at the same time. With separate triggers there's always a delay between the acoustic sound and electronic sound. Okay, mili-seconds, but then...
        Robert

Comment

I believe I read somewhere that internal mics can work pretty well for triggering--I think it was a May microphone brochure. I'm sure there are ways to gate the mic signals so that you can get accurate triggering, and certainly there should be a way to flip (or step on) a switch and turn off the drum brain output and turn on the mic'd sound.

Josh T

Comment

Puttenvr> when triggering from microphones the same delay will be there as well.

I once read and article in the Dutch magazine Interface about a dude who has a big studio right now, but when he started in his garage he did the following; he recorded the drums on multitrack, then used the good old Alesis D4 to trigger the recorded audio and record those midi signals in cubase. Then edit everything, getting rid of unwanted notes, correcting timing mistakes and then send the midi data to an Akai sampler and he had an quit good drumsound, just recorded in his garage
            Music was my first love...

Comment

Working...
            X