Lars Ulrich Signature snare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lars Ulrich Signature snare

I was just checking out the photos and info on the new series of Tama Signature Palette snare drums via Harmony Central. Beautiful drums, Tama stuff continues to kick ass as always. The Lars snare in particular was neato. However, after looking at the MSRP on it, I'm compelled to ask one question: is this some kind of compensate-for-the-loss-of-income-because-of-Napster ploy?

And you guys thought Roland stuff was expensive.......
    TD-30 / SPD-SX

Isnt that the snare made of the pressed diamond plate steel? Sounds more like something to look at or walk on than something to listen to. Marketing hype for sure.

Comment

I agree. The thing that really kills me about the customization of acoustic drums for cosmetic and sound purposes is that the results are oftentimes unremarkable depending on your particular perspective. I mean, if you got the chance to see Mike Portnoy, Stewart Copeland, and Lars Ulrich do shows at the Enormo-Dome during the same week, do you think the subtle nuances of their Signature snares are going to be evident through a typical PA system? Absolutely not. As far as being able to see the snares--well, unless you brought your binoculars, Lars could just as well be playing a Gretsch snare for all you know. Speaking of which, I guess this means he won't be playing Gretsch and Ludwig drums in the studio anymore. But I suppose if someone made a $2400.00 Signature snare for me I'd feel like I had to use their drums all the time, too.....
      TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Wow, that's insane.

Lars is really pushing it (hey, you got a link to that snare? )

I thought he had a bell brass snare?
        I know those are like $1500-$1700
        substrike.com for a better tomorrow - today!
        My Drums
        Tama Rockstar Acoustics, Zildjian and Wuhan Cymbals, Roland SPD-20, Roland PM-16, Akai S2000 w/Iomega 250 SCSI Zip, 2 Pintech Silentech Pads (one single zone, one dual zone), Kat F.A.T. Pedal, Pintech K3, Simmons pads.

Comment

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAM...a/PR/Lars.html

And, just for giggles: http://www.paylars.com/more_info.asp

[This message has been edited by Mick Wade (edited February 11, 2001).]
          TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

The artist is payed a royalty for the use of his/her name over and above the cost of the item.
            Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Ha Ha Ha ha, did you see the rating? Thats hilarious. Stick it too your fans and the smart ones are gonna send it right back your way. What a jerk.

How would anyone ever know what a Lars tuned and tweeked drum actually sounded like? Has anyone heard an unprocessed Lars performance? I could just imagine him in a clinic situation "Well if you wanna make money in the music buis...."

[This message has been edited by BtnkBndt (edited February 11, 2001).]

Comment

payed for your name? how does that work?
                "As a scientist, Throckmorten knew, if he were ever to break wind in the echo chamber, he would never hear the end of it."

Comment

Originally posted by dlbarnes99:
                  You sign an endorsement deal with the Tama rep that is responsible for writing this screed:

"A devout Tama player (Except in the studio.-Mick) even before Tama achieved prominence, Lars was one of the very first players to harness the power of Tama's now legendary bell brass snare drum (...during the "Load" album and tour, about 15 years after the bell brass snare was introduced by Tama.-Mick). That was because Tama's bell brass was the only drum that could handle the incredible sound pressure levels (??-Mick). In a sonic environment like Metallica, you have to have a drum capable of splitting skulls with a single whack (!!-Mick)".

Hmm. "Damage Incorporated", indeed.

So there you have it, dlbarnes. Well, I've got to run now. I'm finishing the R&D on my Tama Mick Wade Signature cymbal felts. Please make sure that you buy them, everybody, because part of the royalties go to Napster's legal defense fund......

TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Lars Ulrich ... Lars Ulrich ... who the f... is Lars Ulrich?
                    Robert

Comment

Originally posted by dlbarnes99:
                      Has anyone tried the Boingo Signature V-drum Snare? Shells are made out of the finest maple, rims are gold plated and rubber trim is freshly molded rubber vulcanized by Boingo himself. Heads are made out of Vectran fabric with silicone coating on the inside (Mars Pathfinder landing bag material) for great positional sensing and overall smooth response. Boingo's holographic mug is on each shell and winks at you stare at it in awe.

They may be expensive at $2500.00 a pop, but they will make you sound like no other. Make checks payable to Boingo, East Coast, USA.
                      Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

fwiw, Lars is one of the many pros who endorse a product (Tama for example), while using another while recording (Gretch, ludwig)... one doesn't have to look far for pictures of the mighty met in the studio with lars on a set of Gretch drums.

------------------
                        \oo/_ _\oo/

[This message has been edited by rus (edited February 12, 2001).]
                        \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Comment

Sounds great, Boingo, but there's one thing I have to ask you before I send the check: Is your snare capable of "splitting skulls with a single whack"?.....

P.S. : I thought I heard something on CNN today about a federal ruling shutting Napster down. Is that true? Yahoo, more money for Lars!!!

[This message has been edited by Mick Wade (edited February 12, 2001).]
                          TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Boingo!

Your new signature V-snare sounds really wicked cool!! Can it also produce incredibly high sound levels like the Lars drum?

Does your snare have any, even just a little bit, of graphite or titanium in it? Or does it just s--k like mine?

Where can I get the lowest possible price on the first faulty demo runs of your snare?

When will the first upgrade be available, and will it incorporate second-order plasma phase modulation?

Sorry - one last question-- is it good for fills? (Or does it s--k like mine?)

Thanks.
                            Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

This drum is the bomb! You will play super bad [email protected]# fills whether you want to or not. Your timing will be equal to that of an atomic clock. It will split skulls at the mere thought of a rim shot. Your perceptual continuity will increase logarithmically. It will reproduce sound levels which make the Lars model seem like a whisper.

The secret is in the maple shell. It is impregnated with Vanadium (strangely enough the symbol for this precious metal is "V"). Second-order plasma phase modulation is for old ladies. This Johnson uses dual supercharged hi-octane flux capacitors. (you will need a 220 dedicated line to power her up). Your choice of standard or automatic transmission - no extra charge (we care about the drumming community).

The Deluxe Model design has just been locked in and plans are in progress to begin production. This baby is the ultimate in V-Drums. It comes equipped with an orgasmatron. We're talking love at first site. I believe this model would make jrcel a convert! ( ).

That's all I can share with you at the present time. I may have told you too much already. Hopefully, cousin Carmine won't have to pay you a visit.

Sorry, we don't know what a faulty demo is. The mp3 demo file should be available on Napster in a couple weeks. We are waiting for a major record label to release it first.
                              Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Working...
                              X