Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snares: Vintage vs. New

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snares: Vintage vs. New

I just got my hands on a 5" x 14" Slingerland steel snare. Really sensitive, I love it sooooo much. The second I tapped the head, I knew I was going to get it. Not bad for $99.

I want to try one of those hybrid wood/metal snares.

Anyone have any preferences of acoustic snares?
    substrike.com for a better tomorrow - today!
    My Drums
    Tama Rockstar Acoustics, Zildjian and Wuhan Cymbals, Roland SPD-20, Roland PM-16, Akai S2000 w/Iomega 250 SCSI Zip, 2 Pintech Silentech Pads (one single zone, one dual zone), Kat F.A.T. Pedal, Pintech K3, Simmons pads.

Yes, my Sonor Designer Light maple snare.

Vintage snare drums sometimes are good (although at this moment some companies manufact snare drums like in the old days but with better skills) and sometimes vintage snare drums are just crap. In the 1940/1960s also many bad snare drums were built. Don't forget that.

Therefore: vintage sometimes is just a hype. Honest.
    Robert

Comment

I've used all kinds of stuff in the studio, Dave Weckl recorded "Heads Up" with a Kent snare. It depends on the player, you're going to sound like you no matter what you play on. Soooo, play what you like.
      Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Hey KuzinRob, you're not a Neil Peart fan by any chance are you??

Comment

My fav snare is the one that I got a great deal on because the guy couldn't find the one he was supposed to be selling me and just sent this one instead, and said, I think you'll like this one okay.

DW 13" x 5" - 13ish ply maple. Sweet, snappy thing.

redbrick
          My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

KuzinRob ..
            I had purchased a Slingerland Buddy Rich outfit #80 back in the mid-70's. It came with a 5.5 x 14 chrome snare .... guess what?, it was the 1st piece to go.
            Just a matter of personal taste.
            I've owned & played numerous snares since then (DW, Yamaha, Pork Pie, Gretsch) composed
            of various materials (Maple, Brass, Bronze, Mahogany, Birch) ....
            My favorite still as of today? ..
            A 60's Pre-CBS 6.5 x 14 concert Rogers COB Dynasonic.
            It cuts clean, ultra sensitive for the lightest brush work & contains a killer crack if need be.
            I've played small Jazz trio to large big band
            gigs w/ it & has never failed to give me what I wanted.
            Have fun searching .... there's a lot to choose from!

Comment

Originally posted by cgrieves:
              Hey KuzinRob, you're not a Neil Peart fan by any chance are you??

Of course! Best rock drummer in the world (just my opinion of course).
              Rush is my favorite band.
              My Drums
              Tama Rockstar Acoustics, Zildjian and Wuhan Cymbals, Roland SPD-20, Roland PM-16, Akai S2000 w/Iomega 250 SCSI Zip, 2 Pintech Silentech Pads (one single zone, one dual zone), Kat F.A.T. Pedal, Pintech K3, Simmons pads.

Comment

Dana,
                Yes yes, indeed a matter of personal taste and choice.

Being a rock drummer, I'm looking for something bright and attacking (within my price limits ). Slingerland did it for me.

You never know, I might have picked up the one you sold, heh heh...
                My Drums

Comment

KuzinRob ...........

Hey, enjoy it my friend!.
                  By the way, what's the serial number on that puppy?. The person who bought the set from last year is looking for the original snare .... it could be worth millions to this guy!

Comment

Originally posted by KuzinRob:
                    Rush is my favorite band.
                    Count me in, too
                    Robert

Comment

When I was 20 I was on the brink of buying a Slingerland Artist snare just because Neil Peart had one! In the end I didn't like it - I think Peart has had a lot of stuff done to his....

At the risk of turning this into a Rush thread, what's happening these days? I know Peart tragically lost his wife and daughter in a short space of time.... Is there news of a comeback or is that it for Rush??

Comment

I agree, don't buy something just because a big name artist is currently using it. Paid endorsements are one thing you should not invest hard earned money into. Alot of these artists drums are not even actually made available to the public in the same exact sizes, plys, makeup etc. Your ear is your best critic when purchasing a piece of equipment.

I believe Rush is in the studio as we speak. Neil is remarried.

Speaking of names and equipment, I was thumbing through Modern Drummer and noticed the V's are showing up more. An ad for Vater sticks with the drummer from Sevendust shows him with a PD-100 on his kit. Also an article with the drummer for Bare Naked Ladies shows a couple of PD-80's on his. Strange how Roland refuses to endorse.

[This message has been edited by BtnkBndt (edited February 15, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by BtnkBndt:
                          Strange how Roland refuses to endorse.
                          Why should they? Roland sells Vdrum kits enough to people like you and me (well not me, but other people ) and professional drummers generally don't like to be spotted with an e-drum. They prefer to trigger their fantastic sounding DW kits secretly...
                          Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
                            Count me in, too
                            I'll third that motion. Rush fans, unite!!
                            TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Alrighty, some Rush fans!

Dana, the serial number is 132800. Lemme know, cause I'll stop playing it immediately if the guy wants it back. It's a bit played, but there's a brand new batter head on it and it sounds just phenomenal.

Yes, tragically Neil Peart's daughter died in a car accident in August of 1997. His wife died in July of 1998 from cancer. He is a very strong person to be forging through his music career as of now. He remarried in September, 2000 and Rush are now in the studio and writing.

I think we got a bit to hold us over though, with Geddy's album.

Anywho...
                              yes, this is turning into a Rush thread.

I just readjusted my whole kit (acoustics and electronics) cause it was becoming a pain to play on... I just had to go downstairs to look at it again cause it's a piece of art; it's so beautiful, but so incomplete... need to complete the back kit for ultimate satisfaction...
                              It's eBay time...
                              My Drums

Comment

Working...
                              X