Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standard or Typical acoustic percussion setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard or Typical acoustic percussion setup

Our church is about to start a new Wednesday night service geared towards young adults and young families. We are going to be adding percussion set up to our worship band for that service addition to our sunday morning service. I will be the one playing percussion. We are going to selling our churches one of our electronic drumsets to purchase a percussion set up. My worship leader wants me to pick out the set up since he doesn't really know what to get. He does want a set of congas and windchimes, my question is what does typical/standard percussion setup consist of. We do a lot of Hillsong, Hillsong United, Passion, Matt Redman music. Can any christian drummers or percussionist help me out here. I think the Yamaha electronic drumset that we are going sell will get us $700 - 800 to work with in buying a percussion set up for our worship band. Any advice or suggestion is greatly apperciated. Thanks.
    Drummer 4 Him,

Ron

IMO, the basic ingredients are as follows: 2 congas, 2 bongos, chimes, tamborine, eggs, can-type shaker, crash cymbal (for swells), and a small table to hold the loose items.

Other goodies: triangle, guiro, cabasa, cajon, vibra-slap, tubular bells, tympani, kodo drum...

Sorry, getting carried away there!

Comment

All of that is available electronically, of course!!!
      . digitalDrummer
      Review index

Comment

Yeah, get an SPD-S and/or a Handsonic and you have everything!
        But if you HAVE to be acoustic, SITM has laid out a good assortment. I would add to his main list cowbell and clave. Those are cheap and must-haves.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks Stickinthemud, for your suggestions.

AllanJohn and Michael Render, thanks for the inputs as well, but my worship band leader wants a live acoustic percussion, not electronic.
          Drummer 4 Him,

Ron

Comment

Allanjohn is correct, of course! For a while I was doing aux percussion at my church's praise and worship using my fabulous hand-made PiezoPad in conjunction with my TD 20. Like having a drum store on a 1-1/2 by 2 foot board. If variety of instruments is your goal, electronic is definitely the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by stickinthemud View Post
              Allanjohn is correct, of course!.... If variety of instruments is your goal, electronic is definitely the way to go.
              Yes, he is correct and your worship leader was probably didn't mind you having everything electronic, I like said before, in my previous post, my worship leader DOES NOT WANT electronic percussion he wants all acoustic percussion. I too believe that Handsonic is the way to go but I have get what will please and what the worship leader wants, and that is acoustic percussion.
              Drummer 4 Him,

Ron

Comment

I don't mean to be tacky, but I have to question a worship leader who doesn't know enough about acoustic percussion instruments to be able to tell you the pieces he wants you to get, but he somehow seems to know enough about electronic percussion to definitively tell you that he doesn't want any of it.

And, if I'm understanding you correctly, your church is selling off an electronic kit to fund the purchase of your new acoustic percussion instruments? I'm not familiar with the Yamaha, but you'd need a huge chunk of money to buy all of the acoustic instruments that even a modest Roland module can replicate.

Sounds to me like you need to educate your worship leader on all that electronic percussion can offer. You're the drummer/percussionist. You're the one playing the instruments. You know best. If the worship leader isn't telling the guitarist what kind of guitar he should play, then he shouldn't be telling you what kind of instrument you should play.
                >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

I agree with what you just posted Vader but perhaps Ron's WL is after a visual appeal thing.

Comment

I understand his position. Say you want to give a group of people some shakers or tamborines or wood block, etc. Your average person would know how it works. They wouldn't have to tap pads and search for patches.

If you had a single, dedicated percussionist, electronics make sense. But I am hoping worship music is a little more particapatory and for that you need simple things.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                      I understand his position. Say you want to give a group of people some shakers or tamborines or wood block, etc. Your average person would know how it works. They wouldn't have to tap pads and search for patches.

If you had a single, dedicated percussionist, electronics make sense. But I am hoping worship music is a little more particapatory and for that you need simple things.
                      I would agree with your point, but I didn't see anything in the initial post indicating that the intention was audience participation.
                      >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Originally posted by V(ader)DRUMMER View Post
                        I would agree with your point, but I didn't see anything in the initial post indicating that the intention was audience participation.
                        Ah, but absence of evidence is not evidence of absence of evidence of...... ah nevermind.
                        sigpic

Comment

My worship leader texted me last night and told me that the church that has been using the Yamaha electric drumkit is going to buy it and that we would be looking to spending $500 on a percussion setup.
                          Drummer 4 Him,

Ron

Comment

Well, I found out this morning a church that the electronic kit is not a Yamaha it is Roland and from what our other drummer was describing it sound to me it is a Roland TD-7 kit. What Roland TD-7 kits selling for these days. My worship leader and I are thinking $500.
                            Drummer 4 Him,

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                              get an SPD-S and/or a Handsonic and you have everything!
                              Michael we are still getting acoustic percussion but I was think of getting a Handsonic for me to practice at home, a HPD-10. I had a few forum members on Harmony-Central.com say this about the Roland Handsonic HPD-10:

"If you are playing acoustic hand drums at church... no, they wouldn't. You don't use the same technique to play them."

"True. You'll never learn conga on this thing.
                              I've seen it used with two pedals as a drum kit. It's a very versatile instrument. If you have good fingers you can learn/generate a ton of rhythm with one."

Is this true or does he not know what he is taking about? I thought a long time ago when the first HPD-15 came out, Steve Fisher at Roland said that you just take the principle and techniques of playing congas, bongos, and apply them playing the Handsonic.
                              Drummer 4 Him,

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X