Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good mic for singing drummer-low feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good mic for singing drummer-low feedback

Does anyone have suggestions for a good but affordable vocal mic for a drummer?

I sing back up and a rare lead song.
    My limited experience was with an sm58 a few times but I think I remember that the bleed from the snare occasionally caused feedback on each hit. I switched to an sm57 but it's kind of a pain that I have to sing directly into it on a correct axis. I'd like to have a little bit of room to move if I'm playing and singing to the side into a mic.

I may just go back to an sm58 and hope it was more of a pa/room issue.
    I also considered a beta 58a but it sounds like that is very directional, too. I heard it's good for less feedback but have no experience with it.

ps
    I refuse to do the Janet Jackson looking headset mic. Sorry. I have a tiny bit of vanity left Nothing against people who use them...they make the most practical sense. I'm just not a fan of the looks for ME.

If it helps, we typically play small bar gigs with a modest pa and 1 or 2 monitors. I usually mic the kick and occasionally mic the snare.

Easy Cheapo gig set:
    Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

I've started using a headset mike and I'll never go back. I use the Audio Technica ATM75 and it sounds great. For a little more dough, people rave over the Crown CM-311A. Both will sound considerably better than and SM-57 or SM-58.

Comment

Thanks. I was afraid you'd say that
      It makes all the sense in the world to go headset. I'm feeling like I would get irritated with a headband on, though.

I might just have to get used to the idea, though. That crown has noise cancellation, too!

Easy Cheapo gig set:
      Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Mahogany; ultra portable 4 piece in custom DIY flame sparkle wrap.

Comment

You really can't go wrong with Crown mics. They are great.
        If you still want to go for a regular mic on a boom, the Beta58 is a step above a standard 58 but a Beta87 is better again if you can get a good deal on one. Keep in mind, the Beta 87 is a condenser and needs phantom power (which most mixing desks have).

Comment

Be careful about how "comfortable" the mic is. I had tried a few until I got one that fit/felt nearly weightless...

...so comfortable that I forgot I had it on when I was screming at my rhythm guitarists to "pay a*$(%*^()tention to the G(%)#$()#$ tempo. Stop being *%(#$(#$(..." during a gig. Whopsie daisies. LOL

-I can laugh now...but quite embarrassing then.

AKG make a few nice ones.. don't remember the exact model now..but the small over ear tiny ones sound really good! They have the "only active when direct sound" feature too so it should eliminate the snare feedback. (Just remember it's there!)

E
          - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Oops!!! Classic stuff E .... and I second the AKG stuff too.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
              Oops!!! Classic stuff E .... and I second the AKG stuff too.
              I still get crap about it at band practice.. especially being the singer now!

"Hey Prima Donna, you sure that tempo is good for you" etc. LOL

Getting back to the mics though this is similar to the one I used last (mine was an older model I picked up on craigslist) : http://www.akg.com/site/products/pow...nguage,EN.html

E
              - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

HA. That's great, E! I was worried about that even with an omnidirectional mic! That's totally something I would do. Or I'd talk about somebody in the audience being annoying, or hot or whatever
                Thanks for the suggestions.

I looked at some online and there seems to be a lot of good options out there for headset mics.
                I'm still not completely sold on the look and feel though.

How does the Beta58 behave? Does it require a straight on delivery? Is it more like a 57 or sm58 as far as it's direction?

Easy Cheapo gig set:

Comment

Originally posted by thebaron View Post
                  .....How does the Beta58 behave? Does it require a straight on delivery? Is it more like a 57 or sm58 as far as it's direction?
                  The Beta58 is cleaner and more open and has better feedback rejection and slightly better off axis response. It won't cure mic technique problems though!!
                  If you position it so it points slightly upwards towards your mouth (as long as the mic stand doesn't get in your way), that will reduce snare bleed a little.

Comment

Thanks all.
                    I think I'm going to go cheapest and get an sm58 for starters. It's a good "go to" work horse and will have uses regardless. Plus I don't sing a lot...and very little lead vocal.
                    I'll try it out and, if it's causing a problem, then I'll try one of the more expensive options. I can always find a use for an sm58.

Easy Cheapo gig set:

Comment

Originally posted by thebaron View Post
                      Thanks all.
                      I think I'm going to go cheapest and get an sm58 for starters. It's a good "go to" work horse and will have uses regardless. Plus I don't sing a lot...and very little lead vocal.
                      I'll try it out and, if it's causing a problem, then I'll try one of the more expensive options. I can always find a use for an sm58.
                      Hi thebaron,

What's your vocal register? (baritone, tenor, soprano?)....this would make all the difference in mic selection.
                      A few $s more may make you a sound a little more like pavarotti than prince........I find the AKGs are solidly made and sound ok in the cheapie range.......i'd recommend a dynamic mic with a cardioid pattern to avoid spill.........
                      o, what the h3ck......go for an RE20 for your close mic and a pair of U87s for spatial image......

Comment

Working...
                      X