Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which kit to sell?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which kit to sell?

    I've decided I definitely need e-drums again. I purchased a Yamaha DTXtreme IV Special, but I may just swap it out for a DTXtreme III. The trouble is, I can't justify three kits. One of my beloved acoustics will have to go. Do I sell the amazingly beautiful and great sounding Mango Burst Yellow Mapex Saturn six piece kit or the amazingly versatile and practical Marine Pearl Yamaha Al Foster Hipgig Kit (4 piece). What would you guys do?

  • #2
    Did you sell your Penguins? That Mapex is pretty new, too!


    http://tinyurl.com/My-E-kit

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by pasta View Post
      Did you sell your Penguins? That Mapex is pretty new, too!
      I did sell the Penguins (I loved that kit) only to realize that I had gotten too used to having a portable kit to be without one. I was going to pick up another Penguin kit, but I got a steal of a deal on a pristine Al Foster Hipgig. The Mapex kit is very new and I love it dearly. However, it seems to be becoming my showpiece kit instead of my working kit. For anything but a jazz gig, the Al foster has to be mike'd, but with the band I'm playing with right now (a touch on the loud side) the same is true of the Mapex kit. The Mapex is loud enough to go un-mike'd in a small room (although I have to hit pretty hard) but it is a bit much for a jazz trio. That is mainly because of the bass drum, and I could always get an 18" bass drum expressly for this purpose. For rehearsing, the hipgig wins hands down, but I'm managing to get people to rehearse at my place most of the time. Since I'm playing out more again, I'm sinking dough into mikes, mixers, monitors etc...One of the two has to go.

      Comment


      • #4
        If you have to mic both kits most of the time and you prefer the portability of the Hipgig, I think you'd want to sell the Mapex. So purty, though!


        http://tinyurl.com/My-E-kit

        Comment


        • #5
          My goodness, I don't think I could part with either one!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pasta View Post
            If you have to mic both kits most of the time and you prefer the portability of the Hipgig, I think you'd want to sell the Mapex. So purty, though!
            Tell me about it. I'll post a picture of my Mango Burst later. Of course, I have to remind myself that there are certainly worse dilemmas to be facing. Hey, how do you like that Taye Gokit? I'll bet that is great to take to rehearsals. Ever gig with it?

            Comment


            • #7
              I like the Gokit. I haven't gigged with it--just have a nice small footprint set up for lessons.


              http://tinyurl.com/My-E-kit

              Comment


              • #8
                Well, it's going to come down to how you use the set you choose. The Hipgig has obvious benefits with it's size. Personally, I'm not a fan of mounting anything off the kick, but who knows, maybe they're doing that better now than it was done in the past. If you're band mates accept it, a TD-20 kit can certainly be just as easy for setting up/taking down/transporting....that could be your gigging kit.
                I'd lean toward keeping the Mapex...but I'm a sucker for a finish like that! I also would simply want the one that sounds the best. I would deal with a slightly more inconvenient set up/take down if it means a better sound.
                Stick twirling - because you obviously have mastered all other aspects of drumming already, right?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dschrammie View Post
                  Well, it's going to come down to how you use the set you choose. The Hipgig has obvious benefits with it's size. Personally, I'm not a fan of mounting anything off the kick, but who knows, maybe they're doing that better now than it was done in the past. If you're band mates accept it, a TD-20 kit can certainly be just as easy for setting up/taking down/transporting....that could be your gigging kit.
                  I'd lean toward keeping the Mapex...but I'm a sucker for a finish like that! I also would simply want the one that sounds the best. I would deal with a slightly more inconvenient set up/take down if it means a better sound.
                  You pretty much hit the nail on the head. We've decided to go all electronic. I have a DTXtreme III brain, but I am using smaller three zone pads on a DTXpress IV rack, so it should be very portable and sound great. The hip gig looks and sounds great, but the Mapex Saturns look and sound gorgeous. I'll probably pick up an 18" bass drum for that kit to play jazz with. The Al Foster kit is on e-bay.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X