Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone remember 1979? Pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heres my selection:
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Sure! Live onstage at The Rat in Boston, late '79 or early '80...

.vferat1200crop.jpg

Comment

This is my vintage 1979 picture
        042543C2-8E30-4AEC-84A9-920C1B8BE9CE.jpg
        DIY triggers in an acoustic kit (Mapex Mars Nightwood) with Evans Soundoff mesh heads, Roland TD-27 module with Roland VH11 HH, CY 12,13,16 Crash and CY18DR Ride.

Comment

Not 1979... probably around 1982. My first acoustic kit was a "Top of the Pops" Jimmy Savile signature kit (just kidd... eurgh... joking). During a particularly wild gig soon after getting it my friend Keith rammed his head through the bass drum and that was that. It was 25 years before I got my next kit.

first_kit.png
          Megadrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY 2 & 3-zone cymbals, DIY hall-effect 3-zone hi-hat, El Cheapo buttkicker, DIY trigger beaters on DIY longboard/direct drive modded pedals. DIY IEMs. Some kit pics/history. Check out Jamulus for online jamming!

Comment

Fantastic picture

Intrigued by the drum kit I had a look round the internet and found an ad selling one. It says, 'Made in the USA by The Ohio Art Co for Beswick's Toy Company Ltd of Wallasey, and retailed by Woolworths'.

https://picclick.co.uk/Fab-Original-...961482300.html
            TD-50-X, Jobeky Prestige Custom shells, SPD-SX Pro, Nord Drum P3, SPD-30, Paiste Signature cymbals, DW 6000+9000 hardware, Lewitt LCT 140 cymbal mics, Allen & Heath ZED10 mixer, Fohhn Xperience III drum PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor, Porter & Davies Gigster tactile monitor drum throne

Comment

Originally posted by willsud View Post
              Fantastic picture

Intrigued by the drum kit I had a look round the internet and found an ad selling one. It says, 'Made in the USA by The Ohio Art Co for Beswick's Toy Company Ltd of Wallasey, and retailed by Woolworths'.

https://picclick.co.uk/Fab-Original-...961482300.html
              Interesting! I'd love to say it brings back memories but... all I can remember is how upset I was when my over-excited friend busted it! It must've left a mark though because forever after I just knew I wanted to play the drums, but my parents were having none of it, probably traumatised by that early experience.
              Megadrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY 2 & 3-zone cymbals, DIY hall-effect 3-zone hi-hat, El Cheapo buttkicker, DIY trigger beaters on DIY longboard/direct drive modded pedals. DIY IEMs. Some kit pics/history. Check out Jamulus for online jamming!

Comment

You younger guys have a way of making us GHOFs (gray-haired-old-farts) feels really old, you know that? (;-)

Here's a picture of the final development of that 1979 kit, the way I played it for the last many years right up until the fire. I'm missing it very badly...
                IMG_0765.jpg
                Attached Files

Comment

I was sent a picture of me in a band from either late 1979 or early 1980 - I got my Premier Resonator chrome-clad steel kit in summer 1979 and the Pearl Syncussion drum synth which came out in 1979 - from a music shop in Barrow-in-Furness, NW England, of all places.

Persuading the band to let me put the unit through amplification was the start of a seemingly life-long argument with already-electric musicians

Unfortunately it was very prone to being triggered by the bass even with the 2 'toms' packed with something like carpet underlay felt. Amazing sounds, particularly the 'Sample and Hold' feature. It stopped working eventually and I sold it to a collector in the USA for next to nothing (bad mistake I think ).

74370483_10158003622198338_4715242159584837632_n.jpg
                  TD-50-X, Jobeky Prestige Custom shells, SPD-SX Pro, Nord Drum P3, SPD-30, Paiste Signature cymbals, DW 6000+9000 hardware, Lewitt LCT 140 cymbal mics, Allen & Heath ZED10 mixer, Fohhn Xperience III drum PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor, Porter & Davies Gigster tactile monitor drum throne

Comment

I found an old newspaper cutting of our band at a outdoor fete, about 1963-64 but it is pretty bad quality and scanning it, well its just about indistinguishable. We did a demo at the Beatles Apple studio in Saville Row, London, where we met the Stones doing a rehearsal.
                    Our bass player from back then did a runner with the disc (a vinyl disc), I never even got to here it.

Here is a advertisement photo of the Premier kit I bought in the mid 70's. Cymbals not included of course, and had a Ludwig Speed King kick pedal which I preferred.
                    Covered in a silver chrome finish. It had die cast low profile steel rims which took some getting use to.

1975_premier_gigmaker_drumsets3.jpg‚Äč

Comment

My Premier kit has those die-cast hoops. I recognise the stands with that unique profile and clamping system - I think I've still one or two somewhere. I certainly had the hi-hat pedal for years and a Premier 252 kick pedal which was a unique design with a single post and is in my outside store somewhere. Oh, and that Lokfast snare stand - I've still got mine. They made strong, light stands with folded steel legs at one point - and they had rubber feet with ball joints on them which I could have done with last week when playing in a tent at a beer festival

Comment

Working...
                      X