Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone remember 1979? Pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone remember 1979? Pictures?

If this type of thread is already on here I can't find it.

Just for fun, I know there are a lot of people on this forum that used to play acoustic drums. Anyone else have some old photos to share with the v-drum crowd? Maybe some vintage gear photos?

A buddy that I STILL jam with, found an old picture of my parents basement in 1979. My TAMA ImperialStar Octaplus kit (talk about GAS). You can see part of an old 6 channel powered Kustom mixer w/4-12 cabinets and horns covered in that black tufted vinyl, way too cool. Also the plaid shirt on the mic stand, way before Nirvana made them so cool.

We were rehearsing as a 3 piece for some college gigs back when the college students were older than ourselves.

Cheers,
    government new jobs
    Last edited by Beamer63; 09-18-21, 02:08 AM.

This sounds an interesting subject mate. I have a picture here somewhere of my first ever gig. An outdoors festival in Hillingdon, West London.
    If I can find it I will get it scanned and posted.
    The Band was called the Blues Religion. God this is bringing back some memories. I had an old Premier kit back then if I remember right.
    Not wanting to show my age but it was about 1963-64. I was just a young muppet back then, still at school.

Comment

I'll have to look for pics but in 1979 I was playing a birch Gretsch kit. It was around that time that I dropped the three toms and switched to roto toms (6,8,10,12,14,16). I wish I never sold the larger rotos as they are impossible to find now. Remo only makes the 6,8,10 and the knock-offs of the larger ones are not very good. A couple years later I was playing a Simmons SDS 7, and after that I made my own pads that triggered a Sequential Circuits sampler and an E-Mu SP12. Then I got into the Roland gear, and several years ago came full circle, now playing a Tama Starclassic Maple.

Comment

I got my 1st drum kit in 1979. It was a Maxwin by Pearl. Not bad with decent skins. I then got some Aria concert toms, 6” to 14”. Then a Pearl export followed soon after with a Yamaha recording custom (9000) which I still have as well as a few others!! I too went Simmons in 1983 then next a spd8 followed by a Alesis D4 with home made pads. Next was a ddrum4 then Roland td20 then 30 but only to trigger toontrack sampler from the 1st they did to SD3 now.
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

yes, me.-), drumming with the mickey rodent band (local recording rock band), sometimes in us army clubs in southern germany

TexDrums-b.jpg
          Last edited by tex2drum; 10-08-21, 07:28 AM.
          2box drumit5 Mk2, Roland Td-15, PDP M5 Kit konverted, Drum-Dok Trigger Bars, Yamaha & Roland Cymb., VH-11, PDX-85,PD-100, 2 ESS AMT Monitor Speakers, 2 JBL Eon 615 for live on Stage

Comment

Ha ha, brilliant topic, thanks beamer63

Tex looks cool.

I found this 1979 picture of me and my almost brand new Premier Resonator chromed steel clad kit. I still have it but never play it these days. The chrome still looks amazing though - Premier were famous for their chrome at that time. I can see the girl singer's hair just on right of picture - she was a proper singer .
            Shortly after this I bought my first e-drum - a Synare. I recall using it with this band.

img].jpg
            Last edited by willsud; 10-13-21, 11:28 AM.
            TD-50 - X upgraded, Jobeky Prestige Custom shells, SPD-SX, Nord Drum P3, SPD-30, Paiste Signature cymbals, DW 6000+9000 hardware, Lewitt LCT 140 cymbal mics, Allen & Heath ZED10 mixer, Fohhn Xperience III drum PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor, Porter & Davies Gigster tactile monitor drum throne

Comment

Originally posted by willsud View Post
              I found this 1979 picture of me and my almost brand new Premier Resonator chromed steel clad kit.
              My right arm is getting tired just looking at the ride(?) way up there! Those are gorgeous indeed!!
              Ludwig Acoustics, Paiste Cymbals, Drum Brothers Djun Djuns, ddrum4 Electronic + Pintech Cymbals & MegaDrum56

Comment

Originally posted by kenjwright View Post

My right arm is getting tired just looking at the ride(?) way up there! Those are gorgeous indeed!!
                Thanks.
                I think my drumming idol at the time was Billy Cobham - notice the big china on my left as a ride as well. It was only years later I learnt that Billy's china was a kind of special old cymbal which worked for him. My bandmates swore if I didn't stop hitting that particular Zildjian they'd thump me True story - that's when I switched to Paiste.
                Last edited by willsud; 10-13-21, 03:31 PM.
                TD-50 - X upgraded, Jobeky Prestige Custom shells, SPD-SX, Nord Drum P3, SPD-30, Paiste Signature cymbals, DW 6000+9000 hardware, Lewitt LCT 140 cymbal mics, Allen & Heath ZED10 mixer, Fohhn Xperience III drum PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor, Porter & Davies Gigster tactile monitor drum throne

Comment

i was a Bonzo Fan (Soundcheck, Theatron, Munich 1978)
                  TEX-DRUMS.jpg
                  Last edited by tex2drum; 10-16-21, 05:56 AM.
                  2box drumit5 Mk2, Roland Td-15, PDP M5 Kit konverted, Drum-Dok Trigger Bars, Yamaha & Roland Cymb., VH-11, PDX-85,PD-100, 2 ESS AMT Monitor Speakers, 2 JBL Eon 615 for live on Stage

Comment

Nice photo - is that the Olympiastadion in the background?

Bonham was the best rock drummer - I still study his recordings - in fact I saw him play live in Edinburgh in 1972 with Led Zeppelin - wow, they were loud!

Comment

image_38492.jpg image_38493.jpg image_38494.jpg
                      Last edited by tex2drum; Yesterday, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by willsud View Post
                        Ha ha, brilliant topic, thanks beamer63

Tex looks cool.

I found this 1979 picture of me and my almost brand new Premier Resonator chromed steel clad kit. I still have it but never play it these days. The chrome still looks amazing though - Premier were famous for their chrome at that time. I can see the girl singer's hair just on right of picture - she was a proper singer .
                        Shortly after this I bought my first e-drum - a Synare. I recall using it with this band.

img].jpg
                        I always fancied a resonator kit. I ended up using a Yamaha 9000 recording custom from the mid 80s until now. Picture is probably about w0 years old.
                        Attached Files
                        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Working...
                        X