Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the best acoustic Hihat mankind ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I first started in the 90s I drove about 1/2 hour away to buy a used Yamaha hi-hat stand. It was in excellent condition and the guy offered me what he admitted was a wierd combination of a 13" Dyno Beat (1580 grams) with a New Beat 13" (1060 grams) on top for just a bit more money. I knew nothing about hi-hats at the time but they sounded good so I bought.
    Ludwig Accent 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| eDRUMin ED10 | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors | IK ARC 3

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
      ..but ..imagine owning a hihat with this amount of precision and balance..
      Isn't it up to the person playing it? I've heard some hats sound *amazing* on session opener but, as soon as another player sits at the drums, it's such a junk sound that I can't believe it's the same instrument.
      TD-11 + TD-4 with a few pads and cymbals.
      https://www.vdrums.com/forum/perform...44011-my-kit-s
      https://osim.wikidot.com

Comment

Originally posted by alensiljak View Post
        Isn't it up to the person playing it? I've heard some hats sound *amazing* on session opener but, as soon as another player sits at the drums, it's such a junk sound that I can't believe it's the same instrument.
        Ultimately, yes, it's a musician's touch, approach, and skill that determine the sound and musicality of any instrument. However, it's useful to have a reasonable starting point for the sound one wants to achieve. For example, I have some pairs of heavy hats (medium top and heavy bottom, or heavy top and heavy bottom) and these do not produce the kind of warm, dark, semi-complex, somewhat trashy sound I want for certain gigs. Can any pair of hats work for pretty much any situation? Yes, but sometimes you're fighting against the intrinsic properties of the hats, which makes the drummer work harder (mentally and/or physically) than necessary and may cause damage to hats not intended for certain situations. Therefore, myself, I choose specific hats for given situations and for the sound I want to achieve, and use touch and approach to shape the intrinsic sound further, as required by the music.
        Last edited by TangTheHump; 10-18-20, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X