Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the best acoustic Hihat mankind ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the best acoustic Hihat mankind ever made?

was looking for a new 14" hihat, i have a Ufip sounds pretty good, but a Paiste Masters dark sounds better,
    or a 'heavy' 602, was even looking at '2002' hihats.. (a 'p-hat' in a tdw-20 is a 2002, i played it a decade without knowing)
    but then i heard this 'thing' ..it's just amazing.. 610,- ! ..but ..imagine owning a hihat with this amount of precision and balance..

Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Sounds very much like my Sabian fusion hats with the really heavy bottom cymbal.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

yep, heavy bottom is a must.. i hv a quick beat bottom 1350 gram, and a ufip top 1100 gram, but i don't get such a nice 'spread'
      with 'closed' .. i'm going to lathe down my top, in steps of 20 gram, see what will happen.. (rotating drill and grinder method)
      if it's the deep cut 'rings' in the top cymbal .. then maybe i'll screw up (i can't do that..)
      Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

These remind me a LOT of the newer 13/14" Zildjian A Custom Mastersounds.

I used to play 13" A Custom Brilliants back in the day, and they were a lot like these. The Mastersounds are really nice. Your video immediately made me think of them, but these have that Paiste "Signature flavor" to them.

Here's my old kit... these were just a tad "smashier" sounding.

overhead.jpg
        Alan
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

pretty cool cymbal set! ..and 'pre-stack' era.. i'm pretty sure you'd have had a stack of some sort these days (..or maybe it's not your thing)
          i even stack a thin splash on hihat sometimes, to get more 'spread' with closed, but i think my hi-hat top is too heavy.. so lathing the outer 2/3 should help..
          i think 610,- is a bit too steep for a hihat .. Zildjian A's do sound 'wide open', i think the 'paiste' sound is the CuSn8 alloy versus the zildjian B20 alloy..
          Akit20.jpg
          Last edited by Ericdrumz; 06-20-20, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
            was looking for a new 14" hihat, i have a Ufip sounds pretty good, but a Paiste Masters dark sounds better,
            or a 'heavy' 602, was even looking at '2002' hihats.. (a 'p-hat' in a tdw-20 is a 2002, i played it a decade without knowing)
            but then i heard this 'thing' ..it's just amazing.. 610,- ! ..but ..imagine owning a hihat with this amount of precision and balance..

I have them and got them used for $350 or so. Amazing and do not sound like anything Zildjian when you put them side by side.

Comment

350 ? wow.. i found a used pair for 450,- but they were sold https://www.purplechordshop.com/14-P...1435-929-grams
              but 350 is a steal ..in my country these will be pretty rare anyway.. (but i'll be keeping an eye out)
              mastersound A do also have a heavy bottom, 1350-1400 gram..

Comment

These Meinl Foundry Hi Hats are pricey but sound amazing to me.

https://youtu.be/8WuQnhN7Fk4

Comment

Anyone subscribe to Rick Diors Youtube channel? His equipment comparison videos are excellent.
                  https://youtu.be/R4DP3h9Wgok
                  ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

Rick Dior.. thx, he's got some nice jazz skills, will check his vids.. ..don't know what mic he uses but they sound pretty 'defined'
                    and 15" meinl foundry hihats, pretty cool, but i guess those 15 (or 16) hihats sound is also a taste thing ..

Comment

Sorry, missed seeing you asked about 14” hats. The Foundry come in that size also. And, no I don’t work for Meinl, Lol. Mike Johnston of mikeslessons.com just started using the 15” and I got to play them at his drum camp.

https://youtu.be/IA40eSZYZTo

Comment

cool, and yeah, that's pretty close.. a lot of brands have 'special' hihats in their 'best' line.. and they're all the most expensive ones..
                        and, if you put three exact same in a row, they'll all sound different.. i'm afraid to order that on line.. in real world.. rare over here..

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post

Just spottted this thread. I have these hi-hats - changed to them from Paiste Signature Dark Crisp 14" which were disappointing - annoying in fact I was very tempted by the 15" version but it wasn't available at the time. The 15" has a bit of bell which the 14" I find doesn't at all - usually you can get a nice 'ding' off the hi-hat bell for jazzy stuff but not with these.
                          I've used Paiste Signature for as long as I can remember - the Dark Energy cymbals are a bit hit and miss for me. These hi-hats though are just gorgeous. Acoustically very nice and even close-mic'd for louder gigs work very well.
                          TD-50 module, Jobeky Prestige Custom shells, SPD-SX, Nord Drum P3, SPD-30, Paiste Signature cymbals, DW 6000+9000 hardware, Lewitt LCT 140 cymbal mics, Allen & Heath ZED10 mixer, Fohhn Xperience III drum PA, Fohhn XT-33 active speaker drum monitor, Porter & Davies Gigster tactile monitor drum throne

Comment

Try 14" Zildjian Constantinople top (they differ a lot in pitch, you have to try them in person/viea soundfile) combined with a very heavy Benny Greb Sand hat bottom, quite expensive....

Paiste 2002, 602, 602 ME are way more consistant, very nice and crispy closed but sound a bit boring too controlled played open, but I have not tried these masters hats, I play also a 16 inch deep and lush sounding Paiste Traditional top with an 2002 bottom, not especially variable, fast, but very slushy and very nice and controlled half/open, chick is quite weak though, have to try a heavier bottom.

Last edited by Ribot; 06-23-20, 03:28 PM.
                            Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

thanx for all the idea's, but 2 guys on here owning the hihat (that i like), that's not good for my fomo .. and i didn't think i had to deal with that..

Comment

Working...
                              X