JARRAH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JARRAH

This is really just a gloat....from the most isolated capital city in the world.

The TD-50 has paid homage to a local drum maker here in suburban Perth, Western Australia.
    Chris Brady, the brains and craftsman behind the internationally respected brand Brady Drums is a local hero around these parts. He put Jarrah, a hardwood exclusive to the south west of Western Australia, on the International map as a timber to make drums.
    He is retired now, but makes himself available to tune drums, as long as they are Brady Drums, of course. ;-D

Among Brady Drums users are Mick Fleetwood, Larry Mullens Jnr of U2 and many Orchestras around the world.
    He’s a great guy, loves a laugh, loves life, loves drumming and drums and yes, he has some V Drums.
    Going back decades, he used to work in the music section of a department store in the Perth CBD, Vox Adion.

Also, there is a small country town in the hills called Jarrahdale, where an old timber mill now lays dormant. At a guess I would suggest that it used to deal with Jarrah. ;-)
    Jarrah is a lovely dark wood. To cut or saw, it’s like trying to cut concrete. It’s VERY hard, and quite a heavy wood....edit...., it weighs a bloody ton !!!

i am fortunate to own some Brady Drums made of Jarrah, including a lovely 14”x 7” Jarrah Block snare drum.
    Gloat gloat. Have a lovely day drummers.
    Last edited by Qazwsx; 05-17-20, 10:30 PM.

I played a Brady Jarrah snare and it was incredible. I don’t know what happened with the TD50 Jarrah ply snare.

Comment

Hi Peter. I hear ya, mate. The Jarrah drums in the TD-50, don’t sound very much like Jarrah drums. Haha. Electronic drums, great as they be, do not come close to replicating specific sonic qualities of brands and materials yet. For example, the “Rototoms in my old TD-30 sounded nothing like rototoms.
      I must say that Alan’s “Generations” pack for the TD-50 has some very impressive programming and improves the sound of the F1B85556-7EE4-4FAF-AFCE-5422770C776F.jpegmodule no end.
      Still, fortunately, the lack of authenticity doesn’t stop me from enjoying Roland’s drum sounds.
      Last edited by Qazwsx; 05-17-20, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
        I played a Brady Jarrah snare and it was incredible. I don’t know what happened with the TD50 Jarrah ply snare.
        You use the word “incredible”. Appropriately, too. They are “incredible” instruments.
        They took the drumming world by storm when they first hit the market back in the nineteen eighties.

Comment

awesome shells, and that will be loud (lol) i have a Brady/dixon rose gum 14 x 5.5 does that count ?
          it's a Brady shell.. ..it's one of the best snares i own.. it's also un replaceable if something would happen..
          Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
            awesome shells, and that will be loud (lol) i have a Brady/dixon rose gum 14 x 5.5 does that count ?
            it's a Brady shell.. ..it's one of the best snares i own.. it's also un replaceable if something would happen..
            Of course it counts. If I could suggest that a TD 50 would be very hard pressed to replace it should something happen .

Comment

Do the drum shells come in different thicknesses, and is there any other manufacturers that use this wood ?

Comment

Different thicknesses. Chris Brady says every drum is unique so I would think that there is a high amount of variation with shell thickness. Brady are the only ones I know of who make drums from Jarrah...

Comment

Working...
                X