Acoustic Drum Paintings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic Drum Paintings

IMG_20190823_184035_259.jpg What's up guys, my name is Kiana and I'm starting this thread to share some of my acoustic drum paintings. I recently did a painting of a vintage Ludwig Supraphonic as a part of a series of vintage drum paintings I'm working on. Feel free to comment but please do not reply about pricing info. You can message me privately and then we can transfer to email from there. Let's keep this thread strictly for viewing purposes and I would love to hear your comments about your favorite part of the painting etc or drum suggestions for new portriats!
    Last edited by Drum Painter KB; 08-24-19, 01:46 PM.

It's eye-confusing how realistic the painting is! Are you using only a reference photo or painting over it? Anyhow, it looks great, like a shot from some old catalog or a drum magazine.

My supra, like most of the old ones, lost that mirror finish many years ago, even without loosing too much chrome surface (many have barely any to mention), and the tension screws were earth-coloured before they got replaced with new ones. I even had to re-chrome the hoops to save them from corrosion. Seeing one as shiny as this, all with the yellow keystone badge, makes me a happy drummer

Love to see more like this, keep 'em coming!
    •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
    •Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
    •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

Originally posted by MilosDrummer View Post
      It's eye-confusing how realistic the painting is! Are you using only a reference photo or painting over it? Anyhow, it looks great, like a shot from some old catalog or a drum magazine.

My supra, like most of the old ones, lost that mirror finish many years ago, even without loosing too much chrome surface (many have barely any to mention), and the tension screws were earth-coloured before they got replaced with new ones. I even had to re-chrome the hoops to save them from corrosion. Seeing one as shiny as this, all with the yellow keystone badge, makes me a happy drummer

Love to see more like this, keep 'em coming!
      Thank you! Only a reference photo, and that's a cool take on the vibe of it haha.

It's good to hear that you are taking care of it along it's journey. I've seen some that are really in need of some TLC but I've also seen some guys do some incredible restorations. What year is yours? Supra Star is a mid to late 60's. If I had included the serial numbers you would see that there were 6 of them so it's definitely after '63 but other details such as the badge date it before the 70's.

I wanted this piece to be clean but still show a little wear and tear with the nicks and a couple stratches. I actually held back on the scrathes just a tad from the original reference photo. I'm glad you like the badge! I almost didn't include it but it has such an iconic look I felt it would resonate and go over pretty well with viewers.

And thanks! Will do

-Kiana
      Last edited by Drum Painter KB; 08-25-19, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drum Painter KB View Post

It's good to hear that you are taking care of it along it's journey. I've seen some that are really in need of some TLC but I've also seen some guys do some incredible restorations. What year is yours? Supra Star is a mid to late 60's. If I had included the serial numbers you would see that there were 6 of them so it's definitely after '63 but other details such as the badge date it before the 70's.
        Mine is in fact a Supersensitive from the early 80's which I had brought back to life. The guy I bought it from used it as a wall clock! It has lost the famous snare strainer mech, so now it's 'just' a Supra with a regular mech and wires, the hoops had to be straightened and re-chromed, the screws replaced and some internal mounting screws/washers re-installed.
        Attached Files
        •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
        •Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
        •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

My Supraphonic is September 1970 with blue olive badge and no serial number which was specific to 1970. I periodically polish it with Semichrome C82F9A02-7B81-4D88-804A-552F3CA84579.jpeg
          Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by MilosDrummer View Post

Mine is in fact a Supersensitive from the early 80's which I had brought back to life. The guy I bought it from used it as a wall clock! It has lost the famous snare strainer mech, so now it's 'just' a Supra with a regular mech and wires, the hoops had to be straightened and re-chromed, the screws replaced and some internal mounting screws/washers re-installed.
            When you said the guy used it as a wall clock, I thought you meant he just found a way to hang it up as decor. Then I saw the picture you attached and it really is a whole-a** clock haha! As creative as that is, you did a beautiful job restoring it as a drum and I hope you are enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by jimorlando View Post
              My Supraphonic is September 1970 with blue olive badge and no serial number which was specific to 1970. I periodically polish it with Semichrome C82F9A02-7B81-4D88-804A-552F3CA84579.jpeg
              Wow, looking good! That Semichrome seems to be getting the job done. And great fact about the 1970's badge. I've only recently realized how helpful badges can be in determining a drums' place in drum history.

Comment

Working...
              X