Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tama acustic kit vs Roland TD17 dimensions

Hi all.
    In the future I'd like to build an acustic kit using the following TAMA kit :

http://thomann.de/it/tama_superst._c...lls_20_bab.htm

and use it with the TD17 module to trigger Superior Drummer 3. I would then use the VH-10 Hihat and the cymbals provided with the TD17 kit. Now the question......
    This acustic kit has a 20" x 16" bass drum. Will this TAMA kit fit in the space where I now have the TD17 kit or I will need more space ?

Thanks so much
    Last edited by overflow; 08-07-19, 02:12 AM.

Are you intending to use the Tama kit as an acoustic kit as well? I ask as it is much cheaper to get a 2nd hand kit to convert. Not sure what space you have so can’t comment on that. The dimensions should tell you that though. See how far away you are from the td17 bass drum and then add 16” to it to get the depth you need.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      Yes I want to use an acustic TAMA and add triggers to the kit and then use my Roland TD17 to drive superior drummer 3 (or just use the TD17 with its internal sounds).

You are right, I must add 16" to the posistion of the actual Roland bass drum, to check if I am comfortable in that position.
      My TD 17 kit is now on a carpet that is 1,2 meter depth. The roland bass drum is on the border of the carpet, so "maybe" I have enough space (I hope) to put the pedal and to sit on the throne.
      I am 1.92 meter tall....

Regards

Comment

It would be a lot harder to trigger well from standard drum heads. Most people use mesh heads and convert a kit. I would be tempted to use the acoustic kit as an acoustic kit and use the td17 kit to trigger SD3. If you are intent on using the acoustic kit to trigger then side mounted triggers are recommended as mentioned above.
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Maybe I wrote that I want to use. Mesh heads

Comment

.so you don’t want to use it as a normal acoustic kit? In that case I still don’t understand why you would spend so much on an acoustic kit. You would probably have been better saving all the money you would spend originally and get a better ekit than the td17. I would definitely go 2nd hand and get something for a couple of hundred.

Comment

The reason is very simple. I want to change my TD17 kit to an acustic so I can play on a real size drum. The reason to buy this TAMA kit is because at the moment I play just at home and I live in a palace where I am not alone so I can not disturb the other people. But tomorrow.....if I will need to play elsewhere than I will just have a good acustic kit.

Comment

I have a strange idea, plese say me how crazy it is.
                I want to play on real size drum. This is the reason for what I want to buy an acustic kit and trasform it in an adrum (because I can not make noise in the palace where I live).....
                Now my problem is that I have not so much space for the complete acustic kit. The big problem is the bass drum depth of the acustic kit.

Now my question......
                Do you think that is a good idea to buy a real snare, two toms, a floor tom, change the heads to mesh,install the triggers and use the Roland kd-10 kick and the roland cymbals.
                In such way I will have no problem for the bass drum floor space.
                Do you think that it is possible to install the acustic toms on the original TD17 stand ?

Thanks

Comment

Hello.

That seems doable. You will have to check if the tom mounts are compatible with the brackets installed on your toms. I, for example have Yamaha stands and Mapex shells... it fits, but I have to cheat.

Regarding playing on real size drums, you have several options which will depend on your budget and what you really want to do with your kit in the future.
                  Buying this nice Tama kit is one thing, but if it is just for using it as a converted kit, I find it kind of a waste of nice shells. However, if you plan to use it as an acoustic kit one day, go for it.

You could however buy a second hand kit or entry level kit, since you don't care much about the wood used to make it, and then trigger it.

Or, directly order from Drumtec, Diamond Drums, Jobecky and such. These are nice sets. More expansive than the Tama, but ready to go and very nice.
                  Yamaha DTX900 - XP120S Snare - PCY135-155 / RHH135
                  Currently transitionning to DIY pads...
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rntZ4AHfvJE

Comment

Thank you so much for your suggestions. Yes, in the future (when I will become a better drummer) I would like to use the kit as acoustic. But now I can't because I can't play an acoustic kit at home because of the noise. I have to think about what to do because maybe I will have to buy a stand too to mount the Roland cymbals because I did a research and it seems that there is no way to hold the Roland cymbal on a standard cymbal arm. What I will do for sure is to buy a real snare and a trigger. And maybe, instead of buying an acoustic kit I should decide to upgrade my two 8 inches tom to 10 inches and use my actual 12 inches snare as floor tom........ or I will stay on the acoustic kit buying a cheap kit (there are some Pearl at 400-500 euro)
                    I already checked the drumtec website but it seems that they are expensive.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by overflow View Post
                      The reason is very simple. I want to change my TD17 kit to an acustic so I can play on a real size drum. The reason to buy this TAMA kit is because at the moment I play just at home and I live in a palace where I am not alone so I can not disturb the other people. But tomorrow.....if I will need to play elsewhere than I will just have a good acustic kit.
                      You do understand that you'll need acoustic cymbals and stands for this to work?
                      °•A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•°
                      °•Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•°
                      °•Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•°

Comment

I used to have a TD-17KVX and switched to a PDP Concept LTD 5-piece acoustic kit about 3 months back (with a 16" x 22" bass drum). It certainly takes up more room than the Roland e-kit, but both fit fine on the same 78" x 63" drum rug. I think the biggest increase in footprint came from the addition of two cymbal stands (one straight & one boom). I'm using DW 5000 series hardware, you might consider going with lower-profile lightweight stuff. You might also consider something with a 16" deep bass drum rather than 18", or go even smaller, like a cocktail kit. You'll be triggering sounds anyway, so the actual size of the drums matters not.

Comment

Can someone suggest a cheap acoustic kit with a bass drum of 14 inches depth (not diameter) that has two toms and, one floor tom? It seems not so common and I was not able to find one

Thanks

Comment

Just because I'm familiar with PDP, you could try the New Yorker. The kick drum is only 14" deep with a diameter of 18". It is a 4-piece, though, not a 5-piece. But having one less rack tom does give you more space to mount a ride on the tom mount, which means you won't need a boom stand on that side, for an even smaller footprint.

Anyway, just have a look around some different manufacturer websites; most offer smaller kits. You may not be able to fulfill all of your criteria, but you can get close.

Comment

I found the Tama Imperialstar serie with the product code IE58H6W. It is a complete kit with a bass drum of 18x14 inches. 14 inches is the depth so it is good because I have not much floor space. The kit comes with cymbals and arms too. Do you know a good way to use the original Roland cymbals that come with the TD17? I still do not understand if there are arms to use these cymbals. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X